What mods do you use?

Banidor

I've been playing ksp for a few months now and would like to start using mods. My question is what mods are suggested. I'm looking for mining, parts, weapons, and habitation. Please let me know if you recommend any others as well. Tanks.

MechJeb with the model from Engineer Redux

Some maneuver node mod I wrote for myself will soon be replacing Maneuver Node Improvement

A pruned set of parts from AIES and KSPX.

Kerbal Attachment System

Kethane

Chatterer

Universe Replacer

And maybe one or two I forgot.

Kerbal Engineer

MechJeb

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Procedural Fairings

Chatterer

TAC Fuel Balancer

TAC Self-Destruct

Thrust Correcter (fixes Isp so it works realistically)

Kethane

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Orbital Construction

AIES Aerospace (Probes / Utility / Science parts only)

B9 Aerospace

Crew Manifest

Deadly Reentry (Parts only, no plugin)

DYJ's GAU-19 minigun

Docking Strut (Legacy version patched to work with 0.21.1)

Editor Extensions (revival of Deadbeef's Edtools mod)

FusTek Station Parts Expansion (I am its author, after all)

Hyperedit

Infernal Robotics

ISA MapSat

JARFR Trusses

Jeb's Big Stick

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Attachment System (KAS)

Kethane

KOSMOS (Balka double solar wing only)

KSPX

KW Rocketry (fairings only)

Lazor Camera

Lazor Docking Cam

Lazor Guided Missiles

Lionhead Aerospace Circular Solar Panels

MechJeb 2.0.9 (Sarbian's fixes)

Orbital Construction Redux

RBI Catepillar Tracks

Sam Hall's Mk2 Cockpit Internals

Subassembly Manager

Supernovy's Advanced Service Module

TouhouTorpedo's Mk3 Cockpit Internals

Some of these mods have been stripped down to their bare essentials or just the parts I want to use, in order to save HDD space and RAM.

I'd *like* to use:

Mechjeb

KAS

KSPX

NovaPunch

Damned Robotics

Home

Alarm clock

But sadly i've never managed to build a stack of these that didnt break either the VAB or the HUD or the Staging controls. My warning: seek out known stable addons that are version compatable! Otherwise you've hours of reinstals ahead.

Oh, and Kethane- that works brilliantly.

Just about he most reliable and stable add on i have seen.

I tried crew manifest- a really useful inflight addon to allow kerbals to cross between docked ships rather than EVA, but i don't think it behaves.

Edited by meeware

KSPX

Tac Fuel Balancing

B9

FAR

Deadly Re-entry

Chatter

Kerbal Engineering

Arcturus Thrust Corrector

Crew Manifest

Procedural Fairings

Subassembly Manager

Docking Port Alignment

KAS

I wanted a bit more realism with my gameplay so I went for the things that would give me more of a challenge. The stock game is great but many of the aircraft are flat out ugly no matter how you design them.

Quite a lot coz i like mods :)

Universe Replacer

MechJeb

AIES parts

Procedural Fairings

B9 parts

Kethane

Chatter

FusTek Station Parts Expansion

Lazor Docking Cam

NovaPunch

SteamGauges

Dragon R4 pod

Kosmos parts

thank you modders for your hard work!!!

Im not a fan of mods but i only use 3 mods im more of a stock player

B9 aerospace (only for the Jets engines i took away all the other parts)

Sub assembly loader

Kerbal engineer (just for deltav calculations in editor)

Only mod i use is Kethane, i have tried all the mods and it just feels like cheating for some reason. There are some performance issues with some of the mods, loading takes for ever, and building tabs takes for ever to load.... cant have that fanx :P

Mechjeb

Kethane

Procedural Fairings

KAS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Protractor

Improved MAneuver Node thing (forgot the exact name?)

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

For parts:

KSPX

NovaPunch

AIES

RemoteTech v2

Fustek and Fustek station expansion

For the parts, I trimmed them way down. Redundant stuff was deleted. All those extra fuel tanks are gone. AIES and NovaPunch fairings deleted and replaced with Procedural Fairings. Engines that were close to stock were deleted, AIES antennae were deleted since RT 2 has them also.

I think I have a nice set of parts plus other useful mods, and the memory usage is much lower.

I used to have B9 as well, but I'm more of a rocket guy, so B9 was deleted. When I had it, it was also heavily trimmed down.

At the beginning, I played without mod. For interplanetary travel, I used Protractor, and after I would try mechjeb. Now, I use : mechjeb, protractor, crew manifest, docking port alignment, kerbal alarm clock, procedural fairings

Engineer redux. Sub assembly which I don't use and I downloaded one of the parts packs too but they seem a bit cheaty. Struts with a thousand times the strength and a single engine with the thrust of 20 mainsails. Dont use them either.

Mechjeb

Tac Life Support

Crew manifest

RemoteTech

Figario gps

Kerbal alarm clock

Prodecural fairings

Kethane

I don't really use parts but I do have fustek which is pretty much it unless it came with a mod. What I'd recommend is some useful stuff like kerbal alarm clock, crew manifest and kethane(Useful kinda but mostly for fun to add more to the game). I have life support and remotetech as they add a bit of challenge so if your looking for that then get those too.

Struts are just a workaround for the failings of the physics engine - I'd take infinite strength ones if I could, to weld parts together that really should be welded solid. I presume it's either NovaPunch or KW you downloaded given they both have stronger struts because they have larger parts; the engines in those might be bigger than mainsails but they're not 20x thrust for the same fuel cost as a single mainsail ( I think the bigger KW engines are actually less efficient than stock ones ), having tried both they don't seem any more efficient than stock parts, other than a reduction in the number you need to build a launcher which is the huge benefit of large parts.

I'd add the lazer rangefinder/altimeter mod as something to try ( sorry, forgot the real name atm ), I gave it a go earlier & it worked nicely, without having the omniscient feel of using telemachus to get ground altitude.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.