The Soaring Gardens of Laythe - COMPLETED

M4ck

About which mods are used here: I've tried a LOT of mods and had to select only specific parts I needed, as the game seems to love saying "screw you" to proper texturing when too many parts/models/textures are loaded. For the same reason I tend to optimize parts, like all the spherical tanks(other than kethane) of the same shape use the same texture and model file, they are just different entries in the config files. Other than that, I've recoded some existing parts if I couldn't find something needed at the moment. Right now I have these in my KSP version used to build these bases:

Part packs

• Squad parts, with almost all plane parts moved to an "Unused" zip archive
  • Hooligan Labs, airships and, in the future, submarines
  • KAS, used to do anything with cables, hooks, anchors
  • Orbital Construction, for constructing things in orbit(or rather teleport them from the launchpad) using parts or resources brought to an orbital construction yard
  • Kethane mod, for refining fuel, tweaked a bit to also work with resources used by Orbital Construction as well, to limit the part count
  • Spherical Fuel Tanks, with added versions to support Kethane and Orbital Construction
  • Firespitter, all those electric engines/propellers
  • B9 Aerospace, for several types of large wings, adapters, structural panels, ladders and railings
  • BoatPartsR3, for smaller size boat pieces, not used much right now
  • Tri-hexagonal strut pack, large structural girders, heatshields and nuclear engines
  • KW Rocketry, for prettier and larger tanks/engines and fairings(either this or the B9, I can't really remember)
  • Deep Space Mission pack, almost everything gets used from time to time, but not too much(other than the reactor, it is used quite often)

Other smaller but important mods

• Editor Extensions, extremely useful for everything in VAB/SPH
  • MechJeb, for autopilot sometimes and useful readouts
  • Actions on the fly, useful for managing action groups outside VAB, although unfortunately currently the interface is annoying as hell
  • Docking struts, for reinforcing connections of different docked parts
  • Select root, lets me change which part is supposed to be the root one, makes some elaborate constructions much easier to handle, very useful
  • Subassembly manager, for saving groups of parts for later use in different crafts
  • Universe replacer, for new ground and sky textures, can't seem to get it working with kerbal textures, for some reason :(
  • Chatterer, for various transmissions during flights

I've almost definitely forgotten something, in that case ask about specific parts or pictures if you want. But it is a pretty much complete list of my mods now.

Edited by M4ck

This time, two new things got added to the base. We are slowly nearing its completion.

The first one was an improved construction yard. It can also double as a refueling station, as it stores a huge amount of LFO and kethane. It can also dock ships of various port sizes(I'm not sure about jr. ports, though...). It has only one downside: it explodes violently often in some really weird circumstances. More info here. Luckily it doesn't happen always, and it could not stop me from using it to construct another module for the surface base, the sensor/communication tower.

The tower was sent down as usual, landed using the balloon as well as the engines and later moved to the main base. After docking, the SAS and RCS modules were detached. The tower's base has another regular docking port, so it may work as an extension in case anything is going to be added - but I honestly don't have many ideas left for this base other than the next four last things to be added soon...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The next module will be a platform for docking the tiny airships to. It will have four ports on the up side, to be able to accommodate all of them, and a single port pointed away from the platform, in case something larger comes to visit. After that, a ground refinery, a blimp and jet powered craft capable of flying all the way around Laythe, and finally something quite interesting(I hope you won't be disappointed) and to be used for assembling the underwater base nearby after the floating one is placed on Eve(or Laythe as well, I really like it here).

This will be the last permanent airborne module added to the base(unless I come up with something new that could still be placed there): the docking platform for the Bubbles(the miniature airships), and maybe something else from time to time.

This was definitely the most frustrating object I've ever made in terms of how to put it where I want it to be put. First, everything wobbled like crazy during the deorbit burn. Later, I've discovered that the large solar panels broke off while I was away(I mean, they were already gone after getting close to the base). And finally, it was as easy to maneuver precisely like a drunk elephant. But after finally docking it successfully(more info under the pictures) there was much rejoicing. This was the most annoying thing to move, but also the one that made me the most happy to have it installed properly.

The Bubbles work great in the Laythe atmosphere. I think the heavier, faster ship for long distance trips will also be something using a balloon, not wings.

The base required a lot of fine-tuning between the balloons and anchors, but it was nice to see it much more stable and less stressed than before. It also almost doesn't spin at all on its own. Before that, it used to move around slowly like if there actually was some wind on Laythe.

The next episode will probably be about the small refinery placed under the main base and the plane/blimp crossover. I'd also like to have a look around the island, to find the best place for a future underwater base, if I ever get to making it. The last one will be about the "extra" module, not to permanently stay at the base, and it will also include the first Laythe test of a buggy and a walk around the completed base with one of its inhabitants, including a Bubble ride around it as well.

Can't wait to see the Eve base coming next. Question about that. Are there any plans for a land counterpart just out of physics loading range?

I also thought about seeing a submersed base (as you already have planned) just out of physics range of this. You could have it at east 250 meters underwater and have a platform on the surface that could be a landing pad for the 'bubbles'. ALso, I have no idea if solar panels work underwater.

Sidenote: I notice that you occasionally have problems with kerbals standing and walking right on floating things. May I suggest the sea sickness cure mod? I have never tried it but it may help out when you start work on the floating base.

It has been quite fun watching the construction of all this. If you have the software and the time, this could become a youtube series!

For the Eve base, I have planned a smaller outpost on the land nearby in case something goes wrong with the floating base. Some solar panels, several habitation parts, one or two rovers. It will also have a fuel storage and refinery for some heavier things(if any of them dares to come here, that is).

About the solar panels working underwater - me neither. But I wanted to place a separate "ship" made of a landing pad, some lights, ladders, and a lot of solar panels above the main base - probably anchored to the seabed, but not directly connected to the underwater base not to wreck the camera too much. The underwater base will be most likely powered by a nuclear reactor of some kind. By the way, the underwater base will probably be located somewhere in the bay you can see in the picture with w single Bubble docked to the platform.

And the sea sickness cure - thanks for the info. I have already installed and tested it, I place the ladders in some places because my kerbals really don't want to stand up on the girders, everything else is fine. Don't ask me why. And I am definitely going to use this mod for the floating base.

If you are going to build a underwater base, do it on Kerbin, becuase it will make stuff MUCH easier.

It will be on Laythe, no doubt about it. I already have the necessary infrastructure in orbit, a base nearby with a vehicle capable of placing the new(I mean, the underwater ones, not the hovering ones) modules precisely where I want them, and the moon has the gravity a bit weaker than Kerbin, which will make the assembly even easier, actually. The connections between parts won't be stressed that much while held above the surface. And I really like this moon :D

The last "garden-themed" base I have in mind so far will be placed either on Kerbin or Pol. Pol, as it resembles a pollen which is something like the beginning of life(and the fact that it has almost no gravity is really unimportant, obviously), or Kerbin, being the only planet in the game with plant life(if that green "thing" on the surface is grass, that is). The two places will require a pretty large modification of the concept, but is too undetailed to even test anything at the moment. It will have something to do with the tree of life motif.

Yet another addition to the base. This time, an airplane/blimp crossover, and a kethane extractor/refinery. The last permanent part of the whole complex, although separate from the Garden. Only one big thing to do remains. You can expect to see it in two to three days from now.

This will not be a large post, only two pieces were added today, and none of them very interesting or difficult to land. The Dart has a pretty long range, about a full circle around Laythe probably. Not tested yet. In case it turns out to be less, a second refinery will be dropped on the opposite side of the moon to make going back possible. It has a useful altitude of around 6km on Laythe, as the air is a bit thinner than on Kerbin, can go between 180-380 m/s max, depending on the altitude. It lands mostly vertically, not horizontally like a regular plane, as the landing gear placed this close makes it prone to falling over when the balloon is not deployed(and when it is deployed, there is not enough ground drag to stop it). Other than that, it works well.

By the way, the docking port mentioned in the album can be found here and here.

The next episode will be the last one. Al will be doing some sightseeing to find a place for the future base, then he'll clean up the surroundings using the next addition to the base complex, try out the rovers to see how they perform on Laythe, fly somewhere in the Dart and have a tour around the base in a Bubble. By the way, it looks like a single Bubble can be landed on the top of the rovers, so Al will be able to move a rover to the refinery and get back to the base without lots of useless running around.

Edited by M4ck

Well, it will not be "floating", to be precise, as Pol doesn't have any atmosphere(at least that's what I think). More like a crossover between a regular ground base and my Mun project. You will see what I mean, but there are two more projects to do before that :wink:

Hello, everyone.

This will be the last episode about The Soaring Garden. The base was really great to design and assemble, but the lag was terrible in the end. The main base, without the module installed this time(but including the Bubbles docked to it), was exactly 500 parts, all the other parts(the refinery, the Dart, the rovers) were rendered at the same time as well, which made my PC cry a little. About 5 FPS before the arrival of the airship. Combined with the new addition and the fact that something on the horizon was lowering FPS anyways, I was getting between 1 and 2 frames per second... It did not actually make me angry. It made me sad that the future expansion of the base will have to wait for a looong time. As well as the clean-up operation(a big word for throwing some useless pieces into the sea, to be honest).

Anyways, this post will be separated into three parts: the launch, landing, deployment and docking of the airship, a walk through the base with Al, and a relation from a short trip Al made to another island and the bay nearby. It probably is a bit too long, but I hope you will like it anyways.

First, The Soarer.

Now, a walk around the base at night.

And the trip.

It will probably be some time before the assembly of the next base begins. I will spend some time searching Eve for a suitable location. It should be a medium sized bay with a hill somewhere not too far away, maybe I'll find something like that. I already have some nice ideas for the base at the moment, but nothing precise to show you yet.

Thanks for reading, everyone. I hope you liked it :)

The ladders are from B9 Aerospace pack, as well as the little lights, railings and flat panels. They are very useful sometimes, as you can see here, but have an annoying habit of preventing kerbals from crawling from one to another. With horizontal ones it doesn't matter that much, you can always let go, but vertical ones can be really annoying - always test your designs on the launchpad before launching them anywhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.