The Soaring Gardens of Laythe - COMPLETED

M4ck

The Soaring Gardens of Laythe

Harmful Environments Research Program, project 2.

The base has now been completed, you can find a full list of posts below

Encouraged by the technical/scientific success of the first project, and a rather warm reception by the wider audience, the Kerbal Space Agency decided to launch not only one, but a couple of missions in search for uncommon habitable environments(who needs regular landed or orbiting bases anymore if you can see if a Kerbal inside a large can plunged into Kerbol will smile or boil!). The Munar one proved it is possible for Kerbals to live happily on a huge wall.

BUYjgBK.jpg

Now, it is time to find out how will they behave while floating high above the ground – but not orbital-high. The next missions will be probably about something floating on the surface of an ocean and hanging from the ceiling(if I get that working…). No submarines, unless liquids are somehow remade to work like actual liquids, not some thick goo.

This project was named The Soaring Gardens, just to indicate it is the next one in the series.

Parts:

The first one relied mostly on various uses for the Kerbal Attachment System for hanging, balancing and connecting different modules, involving a lot of EVA operations. This one will concentrate on Hooligan Labs creation, Airships to Other Planets for lift, several KAS claws to properly anchor it to the ground(when needed) and regular docking ports for construction(reinforced with, reconfigured by me a bit to make it work with 0.21, Docking Struts mod). And, as always in my bases, Kethane mod for fuel production.

After visiting Kerbin, Eve and Laythe and scouting around their surfaces, I’ve decided to place the colony on Laythe. Duna was the first one to eliminate, as its atmosphere was too thin to support everything. Eve provided way too much lift to the vessels, as I’ve found out during a test launch, 3% filled blimp was enough to keep the test module airborne and it all made it almost impossible to control altitude(which will come in handy a few modules later). It also looked ugly to me… A pink desert with gray seas. Kerbin was too “normal†for an experimental, unfriendly-habitat-situated base. Laythe was the best one, as it has an atmosphere quite similar to Kerbin’s, an interesting coastline and that huge, lovely ball of green doom above the horizon.

The first stage was choosing the best place for the future colony. After jumping from one place to another using a little probe, I’ve chosen to locate it on the edge of a southern hemisphere island on the side facing Jool, mostly due to a nice view at the sea, island and Jool, flat surface and a bay nearby in case I ever want to place a floating object somewhere next to the colony.

nKKfVKR.jpg

qrx1TXP.jpg

A9Nwhbt.jpg

0lbiexi.jpg

R7AhGzB.jpg

Next, I needed to create a vessel capable of taking my already designed and tested(on Kerbin, but with a huge lift margin remaining after takeoff) hub module there.

Some shots from ground testing

ajCS4tJ.jpg

SKnVNnh.jpg

lBbuSfZ.jpg

3pceGFR.jpg

I’ve used the regular lifter stages to get to HKO, then re-docked to another vessel – a huge fuel tank with 5 1,25m nukes, sent empty to Minmus, filled there and sent flying. This took the hub module to Laythe with enough fuel to not care too much about proper aerobraking etc. The payload sent to HKO was about 7t heavy, so no extreme lifters were needed.

On the pad. The balloon takes about 1/4 mass of the whole craft away at ground level. Not much, but still helps

BHkfZ41.jpg

First stage spent

rI3RQ2f.jpg

Connection between the lander and the Jool transfer carrier (landing engine-stack separator-Docking port Sr. // Docking port Sr., tank etc.)

HG9Mvbo.jpg

Everything moving slowly towards Laythe

zULcI0X.jpg

After getting to LLO the carrier detached, leaving only a small landing stage connected to the platform. The last few km of landing were blimp-assisted.

The lander on its way down

rTK7y7e.jpg

And standing on the ground

UWxCwll.jpg

The ship landed successfully, anchored itself to the ground, detached the lander, and… slowly went up, after filling the balloon and extending the cables. The RCS blocks and tank stayed there in case something needed to be moved a bit in the future, they will be removed once the base is completed. After going to about 700m above the ground level, the pilots(now the residents)walked outside to look around; they enjoyed the view from their new home quite a lot.

Gi1xm8L.jpg

bPU4OfO.jpg

7WyBz3m.jpg

8QSz5bj.jpg

What modules will come next? First, a solar array to the side. Then, an observation platform somewhere above the main module and a bit to the side. Even later, a tiny village like girder structure, with something like my little sphere habitats on the sides, somewhere around the level of the central balloon. And finally, a bit lower than the main module, a docking platform with four tiny, unmanned(but also with a room for a single Kerbal each) blimp vehicles(probably jet powered, thanks to the oxygenated atmosphere - more testing required), with everything connected nicely to a small refinery on the ground via KAS.

By the way, I absolutely love the last picture. It's become my new desktop background(at least until tomorrow, when I copy the whole thing to my laptop and carry out a high-detail, 1FPS photo session...). If you like it that much as well, here is the full res one.

Edited by M4ck

Suggestion for the future of these "gardens" bases. The Hooligan Labs submarines mod (currently alpha, very experimental), to my knowledge, fixes water to not act like sludge. Perhaps we could see 'the floating gardens of Eve' in the future. After, of course, you build a flying base on Lathe.

Submarines, huh?... I had no idea they could actually work, I've recently read a really detailed experiment log by some user(can't remember who it was...) to determine the behavior of KSP in relation to underwater movement and it turned out the water is an extremely dense, very "sturdy" substance, with about 50t/m3, plus the ships randomly explode down there. It's good to know something can be done about that :) so, another project is now sitting waiting on the to-do list!

Can you actually go back to the space center while the ship is in the air? Haven't tested it myself.

Yes, you can. Anything touching the ground is treated like a rover, and this is mostly the reason why I am using KAS anchoring instead of letting everything float freely. If your speed is 0,2m/s or lower, you can save and exit without problems. Either use RCS to do that, or the HL "Make slow to save" option in blimp altitude control panel. I don't know exactly how it works, but it quickly sets your speed to 0m/s, sometimes 0,1m/s. Be careful, though, I have no idea why that happened, but after the flight to Laythe with the scout probe I've noticed that my test module got sent to the surface of Kerbol, with an orbit eccentricity parameter of NaN, and had to be save-edited into some regular orbit around Kerbin for emergency deorbit using the RCS(there was JUST enough fuel to do that). The mission took a few hundred days, so it probably veeeery slowly moved somewhere. No idea why, I really hope this is not going to happen to the real base. Backup, backup and backup once more.

Well, mostly... :wink: I've already placed the next little module there, but it looks a bit uglier with the balloon connected only by the I-beam. Not a LOT uglier, but still. I'll post the next episode today so you don't have to wait and will try to correct the rest later(either find the error in the save files or paste another copy of a working base assembled on Kerbin to replace this one...).

Edited by M4ck

Hello everyone. A new module has arrived at the base(it had to be added to it now, as the tiny solar panels are not enough to keep it working at all times - the main module is the base's only electricity storage and the tiny panels are actually only effective around the sunrise and sunset).

I apologize for the low quality of textures and meshes, but the game gets quite choppy on higher details due to the complicated coastline nearby(around 2-3 FPS if the "tip" of the island is in the view, even though it may be obstructed by some other terrain).

The second step(after sending the main module there) towards the expansion of the base was getting an orbital construction yard to low Laythe orbit, filled with spare parts way more than it could ever be needed. Nothing special to show here. It couldn't have been the first vessel in the whole project - you have to begin with some style, and that(the yard) is no style, in my opinion. Anyways, it was time to begin designing the solar panel mast. After it was done and tested, I grabbed the bottom girder, placed it aside, deleted the main module and put a regular docking port as the new core part, then attached the mast to it.

To do this, I've loaded the first module into VAB and began with forming the S-like shape to fit the main balloon.

igTmmDs.jpg

Then it was time for field testing to determine the lift required on the new structure to keep the base balanced.

Nope

DhoCWzy.jpg

Nope

Il5BrO5.jpg

Finally a resized "Una" envelope got the job done, so now for the orbital descent stage(including two more Unas):

8L5RKch.jpg

zLY9GLJ.jpg

The landing itself was done with the envelopes at 100%, they had the exact lift to keep the whole craft in air at the ground level. I've used the engines to move it towards the main module, as the landing overshoot by over 2km - the "target" marker was high in the sky, not on the ground level. My mistake. The docking was almost as easy as in a gravity-less environment thanks to the lucky shot with choosing three Unas that had just enough lift :)

DxqFTDm.jpg

R3a6D1o.jpg

OHDKZZV.jpg

r1ebVlg.jpg

After the docking, everything unnecessary was detached

BP7HXd2.jpg

The vessel tipped over a bit, but was soon balanced and the panels were deployed

IpQ99FA.jpg

W3Vp8El.jpg

Next, I'll try to remedy the problem with the struts not showing up properly(this may require save editing, so once again - lots of backups will be needed) and assemble an observation platform. It'll be a 4x4 platform(the size of a single panel in the main module) to be placed on the front side of the base(the one facing the "Hooligan Labs" writing in the photos), probably about the level of the main balloon top.

And, unfortunately, no high detail session yet. The game crashes when I try to even launch it with textures at 1/2 or 1, probably due to quite a lot of new parts added after the previous project. I'll remove the not needed ones once the base is finished and take Al or Archibald on a tour around the base.

Edited by M4ck

Hello again. This time I've given myself a break from interplanetary voyages and to design little, atmospheric crafts that can be used for short trips around Laythe.

The first options to test was a body of Mk.1 cockpit, RCS tank + 4x RCS block, LFO tank, 2x air vents(?) and a jet engine(the one with better ISP at sea level than high up) with a single "box" envelope at the nose and two at the back, but it really lacked the lift to rise. The second option, the same body + a single Una balloon, worked perfectly. Bob took it on a test ride to the nearby island, only to discover something interesting there.

EKgHnHt.jpg

0sj7daM.jpg

Where to land? A stupid question - on the tallest structure available.

iuqk3zw.jpg

niyUU3h.jpg

But how to get down? Another stupid question... These helmets are bulletproof, right?

Bob posing next to some suspiciously familiar objects...

jhuI5Wg.jpg

Time to go back to the KSC. But how?

EeaxiWr.jpg

Good thing there was a MJ case installed as well

zk2pqMC.jpg

8hwb0kA.jpg

H6Kjz6d.jpg

nR3Xyo5.jpg

RCS-assisted landing

YOBLYxF.jpg

h5lAVvo.jpg

tMhnfap.jpg

The vehicle is a little unbalanced - it leans forward a little bit, but with the addition of the docking ports on the sides and some tweaking to the balloon location it should go straight without any SAS on. It has enough fuel to go to about 1/3 around Kerbin, after replacing the LFO tank(my mistake during the construction) with a regular fuel tank it should do even better.

Plans for the next few days: another tests with LFO engines to see if they are easier to use(the jet takes a looong time to throttle down) and at least a bit effective, then the next platform for the base.

By the way, why was it Bob flying today, not Jeb, given it was a brand-new type of vehicle, perfect for some radical deconstruction midair? Well, it turned out the orbital construction yard WAS manned, after all... Although the crew cams didn't appear as always, for some reason. Anyways, Jeb and Bill are now orbiting Laythe, with tiny chances of returning to Kerbin anytime soon...

Edited by M4ck

After following colmo's suggestion and getting a Firespitter parts pack I've created a new, much smaller vessel. The first one was almost nothing more than a probe core, a seat, an RTG and propellers/balloon. It was tiny and moved quite well, but was rather unbalanced and used up power quickly(plus the navball was aligned in some strange way, it was pointing to the side).

Vcj1L53.jpg

After adding two more RTGs, an RCS pack(used for docking at the end of the flight) and tweaking the placement of various parts(including a Mechjeb case which is now the "pointer" part for the navball) the second version was tested. It flies even better, doesn't go vertical at accelerations higher than 5m/s2 and recharges very quickly when throttled down. Moreover, with the navball finally showing the correct orientation, the side propeller now works as it's supposed to. It's 16 parts total, so a few more than the jet-powered one, but it's much lighter and won't wobble the base too much when coupling/decoupling.

Everything in an almost perfect alignment

Fi3idC8.jpg

At launch

LQxUhhR.jpg

At the monolith nearby

38r5FNI.jpg

Something like the previous version will probably be redesigned and included as a surface>high atmosphere>low orbit type of a craft, parked on the ground by the refinery module.

You could replace the top and bottom RCS blocks with two linear ones on the side for full 6-axis coverage - it'll look a little better than one blowing right up your pilots backside! You could also replace RCS altogether with the mod that uses air (requires an air intake, but again, negates need to refuel) instead of monopropellant.

I'll see if I can find that mod. See below, it's B9.

Edited by colmo

You could replace the top and bottom RCS blocks with two linear ones on the side for full 6-axis coverage - it'll look a little better than one blowing right up your pilots backside! You could also replace RCS altogether with the mod that uses air (requires an air intake, but again, negates need to refuel) instead of monopropellant.

I'll see if I can find that mod.

RLA stockalike may be what you are thinking of. B9 has some RCS that do that too.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions :) I've simply created another, recoded versions of the RCS block, RCS port and the RCS tank to work with air, and created a resized intake, simply copied the "Part{}" inside existing files, this way there are no more not needed models and textures loaded with the new parts. I've also replaced the top and bottom RCS blocks with linears on the sides. Now the ships work like a miracle :) no need to refuel anymore at all, everything self-sustaining(the docking port is there to enable them to connect with the main base when they are not needed).

VbM38hf.jpg

Edited by M4ck

How much do Kerbals weight? 0.3 tons? I'm doing some SCIENCE and need to know. :)

The wiki says they are 90kg each, but I don't know if that's the number the physics engine loads. I've seen a few people mentioning using "a 0,08t probe core to emulate a kerbal in seat", if I remember correctly, during test launches, so it probably is somewhere near that point.

By the way, you can just send one on EVA, open whack-a-kerbal, set some "nice" parameters(like 10kg, 100m/s or whatever is possible) and do what the feature's name tells you to do... Then have a look at the speed reached by the whacked kerbal. Or build a tiny craft with a known mass and TWR, then seat a kerbal in and see how the TWR changed, something should probably give quite precise results.

Edited by M4ck

The tiny blimps' tests resulted in the creation of one that does not need any servicing after takeoff, so four of them are scheduled for construction to be later packed on a carrier probe to orbit and a magical warp to Laythe orbital dock. The next thing to construct, test and prepare for launch is an observation deck, with a radar dish for added usefulness(not there during testing). Like previously, it was assembled as a part of a single craft which makes the entire base, to get the shape and dimensions right, and for easier testing at the KSC just to see if it works as intended.

The whole craft designed so far(with some additional pieces here and there for better stability)

RcNw38y.png

Jonson Kerman is in for a long climb...

6HYAQos.png

He's so "BadS" that when he faces an impassable joint, he simply lets go and walks over it

4uXltQT.png

Now it's getting more interesting

WnUy7rZ.png

Even more so(yes, that messed up joint in the upper left part is passable without problems)

bEuANNk.png

But he makes it, with no problems at all

ZPc8lza.png

AtYEGcX.png

Now it's time to pack it up nicely and send to orbit, then land it and dock it with the base(I'll update this when I have time to actually carry the mission out today or tomorrow morning)

Edited by M4ck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.