The Hell Kraken

MrTheGrox

Ok, this is not a creepypasta or any other invented stories about some scary things. But this really happened to me today, when I was showing my girlfriend my lander on Eve. Actually, my Kerbal was in his lander, doing Kerbal stuff. I decided to do an EVA, so I extended the ladder and let my Kerbal in the toxic atmosphere of Eve. But as soon as my Kerbal put a foot on the purple ground, the screen turned black (the UI was still here, though), and my altitude was locked to 666 666m. I was so deeping scared that I didn't took the time to take a screen but when I restarted the game, everything was normal except that my lander (just the lander part, not the fuel tanks or any legs) and my flag (yes, the flag which have been planted before on Eve) were flying together in space, on an escape orbit around the Sun. Yes, escaping the world toward the infinite.

Well, this could be some creepy bug, but the real scary thing, it that 666 666m ALTITUDE !

Is there a new specie of Kraken, coming from Hell or anything ? I'm really questionning my atheism right now xD

Well, here is a breed I encountered. Scouring all kraken related bug reports, I could not find anything like it. So I built a uniquely shaped B9 cargo jet. I went to take off. As soon as I pick up speed, I get a phantom rudder kick. The kraken had found me. So I get it off the runway even with the kick and climb at 20*. Exactly 30 seconds in, KABOOM! Complete RUD with no change since I locked the attitude with SAS.

It has only manifested itself on that one plane so it is not the B9 pack and I have yet to successfully recreate it with stock, other B9, or any other craft. I have taken it apart and rebuilt it. The only thing I have not done is deleted the craft file and rebuilt it, which might be required since the kraken has manifested itself in that one craft.

I have pics if anyone wants to see.

EDIT:

Pics anyway.

Climbing, unchanged since about 2 seconds after takeoff.

2g8.png

*the kraken attacks*

xskc.png

The logs say every joint in the plane broke all at once. Just wow.

wc6e.png

8x66.png

Edited by Captain Sierra

the first part has always been there, but the lander part at 666 666m altitude part after the restart has never happened to me..

It's happened to me on several different worlds. The cause seems to be that you just happen to step on one of the cracks between swaths of terrain while in that dangerous transition period between being on the ladder and being on the ground.

Okay, so that is not a new kraken manifestation. What about what happened to my plane?

Try as I might, I cannot replicate it. The kraken singled out that craft and has denied me flight. Why must you do this to me cruel KSP physics glitches!

The closest I have come to that is docking some stuff that had the Infernal Robotics discs behind the docking ports to a mothership in .20. I could dock and immediately warp and everything was ok. If I waited a few seconds the docked component would spontaneously completely explode like that. The component would not be wobbling, and the mothership seemed to be undamaged. It is like the component *poofed*itself out of existence like the Kerbals do when you kill one.

So today I learned it takes precisely 9 minutes and 11 seconds to travel NaN metres. Anyone want to give this new universal constant a name?

The Terror/Emergency/Kraken Speed Constant? No clue.

Edited by Needles_10

So today I learned it takes precisely 9 minutes and 11 seconds to travel NaN metres. Anyone want to give this new universal constant a name?

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but it has a name. It is "Not a Number". Means you somehow managed to totally break reality. Not the usual "divide by zero" way either since that would produce an infinity. Possibly you managed to divide a zero by zero. That's the easiest way to obtain a NaN.

The closest I have come to that is docking some stuff that had the Infernal Robotics discs behind the docking ports to a mothership in .20. I could dock and immediately warp and everything was ok. If I waited a few seconds the docked component would spontaneously completely explode like that. The component would not be wobbling, and the mothership seemed to be undamaged. It is like the component *poofed*itself out of existence like the Kerbals do when you kill one.

Do we know why or how the kraken manifests itself and causes RUD? I thought it was specific to my plane but apparently other things can trigger this form. Care to share details so we can get this new species bug reported?

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but it has a name. It is "Not a Number". Means you somehow managed to totally break reality. Not the usual "divide by zero" way either since that would produce an infinity. Possibly you managed to divide a zero by zero. That's the easiest way to obtain a NaN.

Yeah.. thanks. I was actually making a joke, and I meant 9m11s as the constant :wink:

Edited by Bacterius

It's an old species, but in the old times, it was very rare.

Story:

Once I needed to dive jebidiah back to the launch pad, he was near the space center. I built a rescue car, drove over him (yes, I'm an extreme driver) and he spazzed out. My screen turned black, the altitude is 666 666 and the rescue car got ripped into pieces and shot to sun escape velocity.

This is one of the two oddest krakens. The other one is the Jool kraken...

Well, here is a breed I encountered. Scouring all kraken related bug reports, I could not find anything like it. So I built a uniquely shaped B9 cargo jet. I went to take off. As soon as I pick up speed, I get a phantom rudder kick. The kraken had found me. So I get it off the runway even with the kick and climb at 20*. Exactly 30 seconds in, KABOOM! Complete RUD with no change since I locked the attitude with SAS.

It has only manifested itself on that one plane so it is not the B9 pack and I have yet to successfully recreate it with stock, other B9, or any other craft. I have taken it apart and rebuilt it. The only thing I have not done is deleted the craft file and rebuilt it, which might be required since the kraken has manifested itself in that one craft.

I have pics if anyone wants to see.

EDIT:

Pics anyway.

Climbing, unchanged since about 2 seconds after takeoff.

2g8.png

*the kraken attacks*

xskc.png

The logs say every joint in the plane broke all at once. Just wow.

wc6e.png

8x66.png

Possible culprit: General Kraken (most likely) or Gyro Kraken (least likely). I say General Kraken.

Do we know why or how the kraken manifests itself and causes RUD? I thought it was specific to my plane but apparently other things can trigger this form. Care to share details so we can get this new species bug reported?

In my case it was as stated, docking some components that had the Infernal Robotics discs behind their docking ports. I could warp immediately after docking and everything is fine. if I waited a few seconds the Kraken would strike and they would RUD. Bugs in modded games are not supported so I doubt much will get done. It does seem to be repeatable though when encountered.

The Hell Kraken on the other hand, appears to be random. I have reloaded from a quicksave and done exactly the same thing, and no Hell Kraken.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.