• I got it off the Ground!
    • Yay orbit!
    • I'm at the mun!
    • interplanetary travel!
    • interplanetary travel and return!
    • I'm Very confident in what I do!
    • Jool is a joke to me!
    • I'm Scott Manely!

I've managed round trips from Duna's surface, and one that visited and explored both Bop and Pol before returning to Kerbin. However, I've never managed a return from Eve, so I wouldn't call myself amazing.

I love things that add realism and challenge, like Deadly Reentry and Ioncross. I try not to lose any kerbals, and never use quicksaves (I use reverts when I'm just seeing if a design even has enough lift or thrust to take off.) Docking is fun but slightly challenging - those last 5-10 meters, trying to get exactly aligned both heading-wise and position-wise, are usually tense for me.

I haven't ever gone to another planet, but I know the Kerbin system. The one time I had an encounter with Duna ended up with RemoteTech crapping out on me and my dish not working, leaving my awesome probe a piece of space junk. The Kraken is not in my favour...

MOAR TO STORY

Humph. Right as I enter interplanetary space my satellite network designed specifically for probes in deep space cannot receive the signal from a giant dish on my deep space probe.

Edited by Legendary Emu
MOAR TO STORY

I chose 'interplanetary travel and return' because, well, that's where I'm at. :( Someday I hope to become better.

By the way, to the 20+ people who chose 'Scott Manley', I'd like to see a video of them doing something like dock a landing system to a pod that's freefalling through the atmosphere of Eve or Laythe, while on a minimalistic amount of fuel, in order to believe that they deserve their chosen skill level.

Manley Shmanley.... I've seen plenty more advanced players.... you need an advanced option on the poll.

What he is though is a fantastic ambassador for the game, and great at getting new players started - he makes really fun and accessible videos... doesn't understand efficient landing profiles though, And his ship designs are fairly average so He's certainly not the pinnacle of KSP skill.

I'm not the best but I've built 3 man laythe return vehicles...

Built this.... 100% stock

nr9f.jpg

Steered this broomstick to the surface of Duna and back... 100% stock

screenshot154_zps3b942645.jpg

screenshot249_zpsf0ab4c25.jpg

And am recreating the entire history of rockets... one rocket at a time, with correct launches and orbits...100% stock

f18m.jpg

So yes.. many of us will click "I'm scott Manley" Until there is a better option!

And I did all this without Mechjeb!.... Scott Manley couldn't do that ;)

Arrogant?... perhaps! But the thread did ask us how good we are!

Edited by Mulbin

I can send manned moon and Minmus missions that can return to Kerbin, I can dock, and send one way interplanetary landers and probes as far out as Jool. I am working on a manned Duna mission, but I need to wait for a launch window.

This is not another mindless shooter ...

There are no Skill-Levels

What is "level of skill" in such a game even supposed to be?

well i imagine some one who can reach jool and return would have a far higher skill lever than someone who cant make orbit

I think a better version of this, instead of asking what skill level people are it would be determining what task is the hardest for "you" to accomplish. It sounds like lots of folks are confident in what they do but they aren't doing one of the "lower level" items. Whether that is because they don't like it or they can't do it is ambiguous.

is that a Soyuz replica?

It's influenced by the soyuz... it haz a soyuz style spacecraft, a block D, a soyuz inspired rocket cluster and a lander very lightly influenced by the Russian LK.

If you wan't a proper R7 rocket though, try my Sputnik ;) 100% stock as usual

... Sorry, derailed the thread. Back on track!

I like the idea of posting what you can't do or haven't done... I haven't designed an Eve return lander yet. Although I might wait for career mode for that kind of challenge and stick to replicas for a while.

well i imagine some one who can reach jool and return would have a far higher skill lever than someone who cant make orbit

Missing the point... in a game such as this, that "skill" doesn't matter to anyone but the player. The rest of the world couldn't care less. If the person who can't make orbit is still enjoying the game (however that works) then a more "skilled" player can't say they're "doing it wrong".

Missing the point... in a game such as this, that "skill" doesn't matter to anyone but the player. The rest of the world couldn't care less. If the person who can't make orbit is still enjoying the game (however that works) then a more "skilled" player can't say they're "doing it wrong".

That's very true. I mastered interplanetary stuff a long while ago... but because I'm focusing on my space race thread now I am deliberately designing rockets that can only just get into Earth orbit.... I spent months on Munbug getting to look and act just like Apollo, but ultimately from a purist view this means its not actually an efficient ksp design (it uses 850 parts to do what you could with less than 100) You could argue any craft that can achieve a single purpose is a perfect design for that task, whether the purpose is to get to minmus with as few parts as possible, or recreate a real spaceship accurately, or blow up impressively.

Basically there are so many different ways to play this game there isn't a "best" way to do anything.

Without hyperedit the best i can do is an elongated eliptical orbit around Kerbin or the Sun. There is no middle ground.

Then you are very, very close to a Mun mission. You just need to start at the right moment to intercept!

Put the Hyperedit away and practice, you'll be crashing on the Mun in no time!

It's influenced by the soyuz... it haz a soyuz style spacecraft, a block D, a soyuz inspired rocket cluster and a lander very lightly influenced by the Russian LK.

If you wan't a proper R7 rocket though, try my Sputnik ;) 100% stock as usual

... Sorry, derailed the thread. Back on track!

I like the idea of posting what you can't do or haven't done... I haven't designed an Eve return lander yet. Although I might wait for career mode for that kind of challenge and stick to replicas for a while.

how did you do the cinematic effect in KSP? like the fluid camera movements and flybys?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.