• I got it off the Ground!
    • Yay orbit!
    • I'm at the mun!
    • interplanetary travel!
    • interplanetary travel and return!
    • I'm Very confident in what I do!
    • Jool is a joke to me!
    • I'm Scott Manely!

Also, I don't see why Scott Manley gets so much praise. He seems pretty average to me.

He's taught a lot of people how to play the game, introduced advanced concepts to many, and is generally an ambassador for KSP. Some of the game's success has to be credited to people like him.

Also, he's got a fantastic scientific understanding of rocket science and the physics behind it - and he explains them in ways the layman can understand. All you need to do is watch some "tutorial" videos from people who aren't nearly as smart as him to see the difference. Plus, he's entertaining.

But Pebblegarden is still my Jedi Master - without her (and Blizzy's tutorials) I wouldn't know how to rendezvous or dock.

I'm going to say im at the interplanetary level. I have problems litfting some larger loads, and i have innumerable blowups on anything that launches a load that weighs as much or more than a full jumbo, but i have gotten a craft to Duna with 3-4 km/s of delta-V to spare. I can comfortably RV in orbit around planets and moons, and i can comfortably fly to the Mun/Minmus and back without having to retry on most occasions. I can get small probes to Duna and Eve regardless of where they are at the moment, and with the right window of opportunity i've flown previously mentioned mission to Duna with a rover+skycrane, two small probes, and 3 km/s of delta-V left.

Never actually brought a Kerbal to a different planet though.

I love the name on the last option. 'Great, awesome, Scott Manley' :P

I'm not voting because I'm not sure if I should do the "Interplanetary Travel" or "I'm very confident in what I do" option, as I have yet to get interplanetary returns to happen, but that's mostly because I haven't designed one yet. Let's have a look at what I can do and have done...

-Attained a manned orbit.

-Built like, 5 space stations.

-Built a station in Mun orbit.

-Launched and landed a manned 47 ton mobile base/rover on the Mun.

-Landed three unmanned rovers, two on the Mun, one on Minmus.

-Landed a rover on Eve.

-Landed a rover on Duna.

-Manned Mun landing and return (Apollo style).

Those are some of my highlights.. I haven't been to most of the other planets, though I've done a bit of stuff in the Jool system. The other planets really don't interest me all that much, if I want a rocky planet I can go to the Mun, though Moho is looking pretty tempting due to the interesting terrain.

I mean, I'm good. I don't need help. The things I haven't done aren't from lack of ability, but from lack of motivation. Yes, I use Mechjeb. No I don't let it fly the mission for me. I use it for what it is, a tool to assist piloting. I can circularize more accurately Mechjeb ever could, but sometimes I can't multitask and my engines explode from overheating, so there's that. Also pretty nice to know if I got enough Delta-V in the current stage or if I'm gonna be doing a sep in the middle of a transfer burn, so I can adjust my burn start time accordingly. That, and, I'm sorry but when I'm traveling 80Km or more at like, 10m/s on average on the Mun in my giant rover, I am not holding down "W" for three hours.

Edited by M5000

To answer the question a bit more directly; at the moment I have a small Mun base (and a crew awaiting rescue there as I botched a landing trying to ace it instead of settling for "good enough") and a refuelling platform in LKO, with parts for a higher-orbit refuelling platform awaiting launch after I've cleared up a few more orbits. Throw in a bunch of lander probes and a rover on the Mun, a couple of probe landers on Minmus, and orbiter probes around each.

(Also 3 satellites in Kerbostationary orbit, if you want to count those.)

No crewed planetary missions yet, but with probes I've done a fly-by and an orbital mission around Duna. En route is a fly-by to Jool, a lander to Duna, a sample-return lander to Duna, and a flotilla of probes (two orbiters, a "Probekabob" 8-in-1 lander mission, and an atmospheric glider) awaiting in orbit for departure to Eve. (Probably send them off tonight.) Also in parking orbit are two orbiters for Moho, one of which (Project MINIMOHO) has a cheap prototype ion-powered departure stage.

-- Steve

Edited by Anton P. Nym

I voted "Jool is a joke to me!", assuming it means you can do anything in KSP without trouble. By now my missions are only determined by how I want to do them, i.e. build a super efficient design or assemble a big ship in orbit that has shorter burn times.

Can't wait for R&D so you can't just slap a NERVA on everything.

I know how to launch, orbit, rendezvous and dock manually. I have assembled a functional fuel depot at a 200km orbit. I have travelled to and landed manually on Minmus and Mün and returned to Kerbin safely (though just barely on the Mün return). So on that scale, somewhere in the middle? There's a lot I've yet to do - travel to another planet, land on Eve, visit Jool, set up an extraplanetary base somewhere...

I'm somewhere around here, got on this site a few days ago, but been playing since the steam summer sale, so like 2 months (A bit less).

Got some dockable probes (Most also work as part tugs) orbiting most bodies, in low orbit and geo when it will let me, as well as just a few hundred metres above the Mun/other places for fun/ridiculous orbits. Landable/Moveable bases, although have only set "bases" to moons for now, but have sent some rovers (small un-manned and larger manned ones near temp landers) to Duna/Eve, sadly have not been to Jool or any of its moons. Have got a few flags around the star system though :D

From what I've seen though, most people have very different orders of which they learn tasks, have seen some people that can SSTO air craft no problem, making new variants etc, but for some reason, have trouble docking, when I have those abilities swapped. Just depends on what sparks your interest and what you try/do more, I'm sure if I only ever worked on Mun landings, I wouldn't be able to bring my craft back to the KSP, as it took a bit of trial and error like most things in this game.

He's taught a lot of people how to play the game, introduced advanced concepts to many, and is generally an ambassador for KSP. Some of the game's success has to be credited to people like him.

Also, he's got a fantastic scientific understanding of rocket science and the physics behind it - and he explains them in ways the layman can understand. All you need to do is watch some "tutorial" videos from people who aren't nearly as smart as him to see the difference. Plus, he's entertaining.

But Pebblegarden is still my Jedi Master - without her (and Blizzy's tutorials) I wouldn't know how to rendezvous or dock.

Many people have made tutorials for KSP, and Kurtjmac arguably had more to do with giving KSP exposure than he did. On a plus note, Scott isn't 'smart' he's just chose to go into an education based in physics, like anyone does with a career choice. KSP runs on a basic physics engine that you can apply secondary school physics to (unless people weren't paying attention in their classes).

His rockets are standard, he's helped in KSP's popularity a bit, and is mildly entertaining... But I fail to see how this can be related to being skilled at the game.

Edited by Levelord

I'm just going to throw modesty out of the window and be honest, I reckon I'm a better pilot than Manely...

He has sometimes has smarter ideas and builds than me but he's always very messy and imprecise with his orbits, and to a lesser extent his landings.

Then there's his old love of MechJeb... ;)

(DISCLAIMER - NO FLAME WAR INTENDED)

The best pilot I've ever seen is this guy -

https://www.youtube.com/user/ablu444?feature=watch

If you've never watched his videos I suggest you start from the beginning, you will all be impressed, and hopefully learn something. I think you should add an "ablu444" section to this poll. I can't claim to be better than him, there are few people who can.

Edited by Boex

I've been to duna once on my own and almost completely messed it up. Had to burn for about five minutes to actually catch its sphere of influence. It was intense. Other than that, I'm trying not to get too far in what I can do before career mode is implemented...though I'll probably break down and play a bit in .22 'cause R&D sounds too interesting to not play.

I'm very confident, I can do plenty of things.

Jool is no joke though, it;s still hard to get in a prograde than retrograde orbit.

And Moho still eludes me, though I have legitly crashed into the sun.

I'm over confident. Sometimes I can do things, sometimes it ends in horrible death.

I've been trying for moho recently. I got there on my first attempt and then legitimately crashed into the surface going 4km/s. Probably should have looked at the map screen whilst doing my deceleration burn.:blush:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.