• I got it off the Ground!
    • Yay orbit!
    • I'm at the mun!
    • interplanetary travel!
    • interplanetary travel and return!
    • I'm Very confident in what I do!
    • Jool is a joke to me!
    • I'm Scott Manely!

Not true, this isn't showing off, a low periapsis landing uses far less fuel than the long decent landings most players use... it's also exactly what real landers such as Apollo do.

Also not true, in fact this kind of landing allows you to have much lower TWR

Here is Kosmo-not landing my Munbug lander which has only a very tiny engine and weights many, many tons. You can't land it any other way as it is too heavy and the fuel runs out. Just as it would be with the real Apollo lander.

It does take some practice and skill but well worth it as you won't need to take as much fuel with you to the Mun.

You are right, however it require you to hold attitude while decreasing speed, know well that an low orbit make it cheaper to land, downside is that you lose accuracy also that your saving can easy be eaten by the plane change costs. Use low orbits on my Grand tour as I only need to save fuel, as I only have to hit somewhere flat enough.

An cheap version of this would be to enter enter an very low orbit, say 5 km, brake until speed is low and land normally.

You are right, however it require you to hold attitude while decreasing speed, know well that an low orbit make it cheaper to land, downside is that you lose accuracy also that your saving can easy be eaten by the plane change costs. Use low orbits on my Grand tour as I only need to save fuel, as I only have to hit somewhere flat enough.

An cheap version of this would be to enter enter an very low orbit, say 5 km, brake until speed is low and land normally.

If you have the TWR that works fine yes.... but my lander (the one in the video) has such a low TWR that before you could slow down from that altitude you would hit the ground at 300 m/s :)

I'm still in the experimenting and discovering stage. True, I use a lot of cheating ways to get what I want, because I love how beautiful and awesome my exotic ships look.

But, as for how this applies, I just got the hang of orbital docking, had recently docked my 4th vessel to a relay station in orbit around Kerbin, and I am soon to begin my try at the challenge to create reusable ships, leaping farther ahead than how it looks to be possible for me to even do. Don't worry though, I've not had my entire time here at KSP done with cheats. I've made a bunch of space-worthy legit vessels. More than I have my exotic vessels.

And, now I plan. I need to get a lot of things going, especially calculating which engines work best, and so on.

My most challenging mission so far was an Apollo-style Ike landing, but when trying to return, the spacecraft ran out of fuel and got stuck in a solar orbit. I had to send a rescue ship, and finally Bill, Bob and Jebediah got home safely.

SSTO's are still rocket science to me. My planes get to space, but not orbit.

Edited by Karriz

I programmed my own orbiting simulator before playing KSP.... Ok so it was MUCH simpler than KSP, but you could orbit stuff...

(check it out here, http://hebdomad.jimdo.com/game-prototypes , it should be called OrbitV905. download and press F1 for help )

There is also nothing in the Kerbal system I've not touched or landed probes on. I've only got to return crews from Tylo, Eve, Laythe, and Eeloo. I'm designing missions for them now, but I'm waiting on campaign mode before I get back into KSP.

• 2 months later...

Had done Apollo style landings to Duna in the past versions ...

sent probes to almost all of the planets in past versions ..

and the spaceship I am currently testing in 0.22 career mode should have enough dV to allow me landings (and returns) to/from most bodies in the Kerbol system

(excluding just Jool, Eve and Moons that require a dV of 1000+ to land and start again)

Finished a Duna landing and return mission about a week ago. Not sure where to go next, was thinking about Gilly but that's scrapped. A mission to the Jool system is being arranged now, the components for the space craft are still in the works. Docking is a piece of cake, landing is pretty easy. I love KSP and have really learned a lot. :)

Lately I really hit a good run, after learning how to do mun landing in career mode with the reduced parts, i began learning quite a lot. managed to land probes on eve and duna, even did a suicide mission on jool.

Decided to restart a career save with b9 aerospace, FAR and kw rocketry, and loving it even more now. Learning how to do planes all over, enjoying the really amazing new parts that are added. Landed on duna and eve again, got a probe onto ike and then duna in one go, generally having a ton of fun. I'm looking at bigger mun missions now, and then trying an ike land and return with a manned vessel. setting up stations and bases etc, also doing duna returns and other fun stuff. maybe spaceplanes

I use a lot of mods, but only because I feel I need more parts than Stock allows for. That being said, I have my difficult moments (I have a hard time with rockets. I built a space station out of space-planes cause my rockets kept exploding...), but I can make it to almost any planet in the Kerbal system. My difficult part is getting Kerbals home again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.