What triggered your interest in spaceflight

Pawelk198604

I'm not sure exactly might have something to do with the fact that I was 7 years old when the Challenger was lost. That was a flight that was HEAVILY promoted to children, and I don't know why I wasn't in school but I wasn't, and I watched the launch live with my family.

My high school math teacher was a finalist for the Teacher In Space program. They flew her to JSC in Houston to interview and perform a flight physical. She met Christa McAuliffe along with the other candidates during the interview process. After Challenger she kept a picture of her framed in black on her bulletin board for years.

I was always interested in science, space to be specific. I was little when the earliest expeditions to the ISS took place, as well as the Mars rovers like Spirit and Opportunity. I was too young to appreciate them fully and I took them for granted, by the time Curiosity came by I was reading NGT's books, in fact I remember seeing the confirmed landing on the news while I was reading. After that I started researching about human exploration of space, and something about the space race touched me. Beyond all the scientific applications of space travel, there's something much more poetic to me about leaving our planet.

Also rockets are badass, I want to work in rocket related job, I don't care what.

my dad's a spacecraft engineer, amd has been talking to me about space and spacecraft as long I can remember. It bred sort of a dormant space interest in me. That is, until I got KSP, which suddenly ignited a backdraft with regards to my love of space/space flight.

I had originally been interested in ships and stuff but then I discovered transformers and in the movie when they came from space that was the planting of the seed that would grow into the tree of my space interest (why am I acting poetic all of a sudden?) when I searched and found out more that seed grew into a tiny plant (more poetic ness, o.o) then when I discovered a ksp video by scott manly (one about how much fuel it'd take to deorbiting moons in ksp) and when I tried the demo it was like throwing a rockomax jumbo-64 filled with fertilizer on the tree and my interest grew like no tomorrow.

Ok, weird poeticness done.

I think for me it was watching sci-fi as a kid, my dad was really into his sci-fi back then, so I watched Star trek, Blake's 7 and Space 1999.

Course, none of that was really like spaceflight but I didn't know it at the time, it wasn't till watching stuff like 2001 that I started to get a proper idea of what space was like, but it took KSP to really show my what it was like in space for a spacecraft, much different to the likes of Star wars and similar :)

Oh and congrats Pawelk198604, you've been stickied :D

I first got into space when I was young, when my dad sat me down in front of his computer, and we watched a Space Shuttle launch live, because I was up in the middle of the night. I think that is when I truly got into space.

I got into learning the physics of space when I bought KSP!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.