Kerbin City - Build 2 Now out!

nothke

Build 2, NOW OUT!

pbn99qp.jpg

Before you download, READ THIS:

• This mod is in constant development, note that it can destroy all your craft on islands if we move them or change something in the next version.
  • All kudos goes to Razchek for developing wonderful KerbTown plugin. This project would never exist without it.
  • There is a lot of bugs (especially collision ones) and, I am sure, performance issues. When you encounter something very unpleasant please report!

Attention!!

This mod requires KerbTown plugin by Razchek. Note that the launch part of the plugin does not work in 0.22 (by Nov 16th 2013), so you will have to fly to KC instead. In 0.21 everything works perfectly.

Download (latest: build2)

http://www./download/d8yw05f4196ehsv/KerbinCity_build2.rar

Zip version (thanks to OrbitusII): https://www.dropbox.com/s/wipcgkktzuzc79c/KerbinCity_build2.zip

Previous versions:

- build 1: http://www./download/ohav9eajcegvb88/KerbinCity_build1.rar

Instructions

• Easiest way to visually find Kerbin City from KSC, is to just follow the coast to the south, it is 111km away from KSC, located in a big bay.
  • To land at the airport runway 30 (the most common one), start from KSC and follow 230 heading. When in range of airport you should spot a small green island in the bay in front of you, begin a descend and when you reach it start the turn to heading 300 and you should be alligned with the runway almost perfectly and prepare to land. =)
  • OR you can spawn in Kerbin City or the airport. Before launching your craft in VAB/SPH, open the KerbTown menu and select places to your liking starting with "KC" (Kerbin City)

Changelog:

** BUILD 2:

Major changes:

new geography names:
- Cape Malleus (the peninsula on which the airport is),
- Incus - piece of land where Eastern island is connected to mainland)
- Incus hill (a hill north of Eastern island)
- Stapes island - island at the base of future port and industrial, currently connected by 2 **** to mainland)
- City Gulf - the outer, larger bay
- City Bay - inner bay
- "the Strait" - strait that separates City Gulf and City Bay, the Strait bridge is spanning it
- Siege island - new land formation in the middle of the Strait
- Truncheon penninsula - penninsula on the south of the City Gulf.
- Golden lake - a small lake just East of the City Bay t the East (the lower of the two), has a bright yellow spot in the center, hence the name.

Trivia: Malleus, Incus and Stapes are the 3 ear bones aka Occilles in the human ear. The entire bay resembles the scheme of ear when seen from space, therefore the idea to name the geographical features.

Eastern:
- added Nazari's, Ozi's, Hujiwana's plot and SurfThug's hospital on Eastern
- added temporary Arena building on Cooly's plot - no access yet
- added construction stuff on NGT's plot in the shape of his upcoming buildings
- added antenna from Tom1499 on his plot

Airport:
- redesigned airport terminal (still WIP, glass missing)
- redesigned ATC tower (not complete)
- built access road for airport terminal and freigth apron

Strait:
- formed the "Siege island" and the gallery tunnel on it

Kerbin City Xpressway segments:
- built Cape Malleus - airport section with offramps for freight apron, or airport employee access
- Airport tunnel is now complete
- Strait bridge (previously known as "Narrows bridge") is now complete and fully accessible
- added gantries and direction signs on important places

Minor changes:
- BobCat's buildings' glass now have spec reflection =)
- changed the tiling of grass to 20x20m to improve detail up close
- added a subtle normal map to grass

** BUILD 1

- First published version

Nothke's statement on the project:

Some time will pass between build 2 and 3, first, because it takes a lot of my time that I don't have (RL), and I can't focus on other projects which I want to (like KASPAR).

Second because Razchek is missing and no one really knows how to update KerbTown to 0.22 (Snjo tried a lot but with no success, another proof that Razchek is God =P)

The project, in it's current state is not really sustainable. I am still doing 90% of the job. I also have to correct everyone's mistakes, solving Sketchup merging or boolean operation consequences, removing invisible faces, collision problems, balancing/combining textures, that's a lot of work.

I am planning that instead, after builing the base for the future islands (the final major job), abandon the project as an author. And instead let others insert buildings using separate KerbTown instances that could be packed together into "community approved" official builds that anyone can download (to prevent having 10 different Kerbin City versions built by different people).

I am also looking into better technology for making streets and bridges such as some of the procedural software that will make creation of new roads much faster and easier. Until I find an efficient system there will be no new islands.

Credits

all rights reserved by respective authors:
(some may not be included, I am sorry if I skipped someone, not intentional)

Special thanks to:
[LIST]
[*]Razchek for creating KerbTown plugin
[/LIST]
current buildings:
[LIST]
[*]Nothke - KC INTL Airport, Eastern Island streets and expressway
[*]BobCat - A3 plot, Eastern Island (plot 10), BobCat industries headquarters
[/LIST]
People involved in the project:

phase 1:

[LIST]
[*]Touhou Torpedo
[*]Nutt007
[*]Rasheed
[*]NGTOne
[*]Needles 10
[*]Nazari 1382
[*]Mr.Desmond Tiny
[*]Cooly568
[*]Hoojiwana
[*]BlazingAngel664
[*]SolarLiner
[*]Ozi
[*]Tom1499
[*]Henrik908
[/LIST]
waiting for phase 3:

[LIST]
[*]Devo
[*]rasheed
[*]Olympic1
[*]skykooler
[*]Kommitz
[*]POTKC
[*]squirtgun1234
[*]Themorris
[*]Cooly568
[*]Zachtroid
[*]Zachtroid
[*]hofugir
[*]hofugir
[*]Tw1
[*]Yogui87
[*]Yogui87
[*]Henrik908
[*]Psycho529
[*]Yeomans
[*]tobyb121
[*]OrbitusII
[*]Globox
[*]Loabstas
[*]toomtoomX
[*]duckoftheMoon
[*]surfthug
[*]surfthug
[*]kockaspiton
[*]JustinS222
[*]Shef
[*]Mettwurst
[*]MrTheBull
[*]zekes
[*]HUNTER95
[*]stijn181
[/LIST]

Full Readme:

Kerbin City Community Project
- started by Nothke

//**** BUILD 2 ****//

Go to the KSP forum for more info about the mod:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46643-Kerbin-City-Community-Project-(packing-build-2)

//---------- Requirements ----------//

This mod requires KerbTown plugin by Razchek. Note that the launch part of the plugin does not work in 0.22 (by Nov 16th 2013), so you will have to fly to KC instead. In 0.21 everything works perfectly.

For 0.21, download here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40374-WIP-KerbTown-v0-12-3-Beta-Place-static-buildings-cities-launch-sites-more!

For 0.22, download here (update by HoY): http://www./download/j6h246rgk68j654/KerbTownPlugin.zip

//---------- Installation ----------//

Put the GameData folder in your KSP folder, and you are ready to go!

//---------- Instructions ----------//

Easiest way to visually find Kerbin City from KSC, is to just follow the coast to the south, it is 111km away from KSC, located in a big bay.

To land at the airport runway 30 (the most common one), start from KSC and follow 230 heading. When in range of airport you should spot a small green island in the bay in front of you, begin a descend and when you reach it start the turn to heading 300 and you should be alligned with the runway almost perfectly and prepare to land. =)

OR you can spawn in Kerbin City or the airport (in 0.21 only):

Before launching your craft in VAB/SPH, open the KerbTown menu and select places to your liking starting with "KC" (Kerbin City)

//---------- BEWARE aka KNOWN ERRORS ---------- //

- Runway markings and airport markings are not correct, I will edit them for the next build when I decide how to do runway texture properly. Don't brag and moan about it being wrong, I was studying ICAO's standards for reference, it's just not finished yet.

- Use only the 30-12 (darker) runway on the airport, the other runway is under construction
- Not all colliders on BobCat's plot match their graphical models so on some places there are invisible walls or visible walls but through which you can go.

- Object seam to sink on some places slightly below the surface, but there are no other collision problems rather than that. I will check for solution later. Some locations have pretty "wonky" collisions by the way.

- The piece of Eastern section of Xpressway does not align with the Malleus section. This will of course be corrected when the bridge arrives.
- Hujiwana's apartment blocks are flickering. (z-fighting problem, will be fixed)
- fence on Ozi's plot looks strange, will be replaced with alpha blend shader

//---------- Feedback ---------- //

Please report any performance and collision problems on the forum thread!

//---------- CREDITS ----------//

current buildings:
- Nothke - KC INTL Airport, Strait bridge, Siege island, Eastern Island streets and expressway, Cooly's arena exterior
- BobCat - A3 plot, Eastern Island (plot 10), BobCat industries headquarters
- Hujiwana - D3 plot, Eastern Island, apartment blocks
- Ozi - C4 plot, Eastern Island, small shipyard and village
- Nazari - B2 plot, Eastern Island, skyscrapers and highrises, a petrol station
- SurfThug - D1 plot, Eastern Island, Hospital
- Tom1499 - D4 plot, Eastern Island, communications antenna

phase 1:

- Touhou Torpedo
- Nutt007
- Rasheed
- NGTOne
- Needles 10
- Nazari 1382
- Mr.Desmond Tiny
- Cooly568
- Hoojiwana
- BlazingAngel664
- SolarLiner
- Ozi
- Tom1499
- 96FPS
- Henrik908
- SurfThug

phase 3:

- Devo
- rasheed
- Olympic1
- skykooler
- Kommitz
- POTKC
- squirtgun1234
- Themorris
- Cooly568
- Zachtroid
- hofugir
- Tw1
- Yogui87
- Henrik908
- Psycho529
- Yeomans
- tobyb121
- OrbitusII
- Globox
- Loabstas
- toomtoomX
- duckoftheMoon
- kockaspiton
- JustinS222
- Shef
- Mettwurst
- MrTheBull
- zekes
- HUNTER95
- stijn181

//---------- CHANGELOG ----------//

** BUILD 2:

Major changes:

new geography names:
- Stapes island - island at the base of future port and industrial, currently connected by 2 **** to mainland)
- City Bay - inner bay
- "the Strait" - strait that separates City Gulf and City Bay, the Strait bridge is spanning it
- Golden lake - a small lake just East of the City Bay t the East (the lower of the two), has a bright yellow spot in the center, hence the name.

Trivia: Malleus, Incus and Stapes are the 3 ear bones aka Occilles in the human ear. The entire bay resembles the scheme of ear when seen from space, therefore the idea to name the geographical features.

Eastern:

Airport:

Strait:

- built Cape Malleus - airport section with offramps for freight apron, or airport employee access
- Strait bridge (previously known as "Narrows bridge") is now complete and fully accessible

Minor changes:

** BUILD 1

- First published versionKerbin City Community Project
- started by Nothke

//**** BUILD 2 ****//

Go to the KSP forum for more info about the mod:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46643-Kerbin-City-Community-Project-(packing-build-2)

//---------- Requirements ----------//

For 0.21, download here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40374-WIP-KerbTown-v0-12-3-Beta-Place-static-buildings-cities-launch-sites-more!

For 0.22, download here (update by HoY): http://www./download/j6h246rgk68j654/KerbTownPlugin.zip

//---------- Installation ----------//

Put the GameData folder in your KSP folder, and you are ready to go!

//---------- Instructions ----------//

Easiest way to visually find Kerbin City from KSC, is to just follow the coast to the south, it is 111km away from KSC, located in a big bay.

To land at the airport runway 30 (the most common one), start from KSC and follow 230 heading. When in range of airport you should spot a small green island in the bay in front of you, begin a descend and when you reach it start the turn to heading 300 and you should be alligned with the runway almost perfectly and prepare to land. =)

OR you can spawn in Kerbin City or the airport (in 0.21 only):

Before launching your craft in VAB/SPH, open the KerbTown menu and select places to your liking starting with "KC" (Kerbin City)

//---------- BEWARE aka KNOWN ERRORS ---------- //

- Runway markings and airport markings are not correct, I will edit them for the next build when I decide how to do runway texture properly. Don't brag and moan about it being wrong, I was studying ICAO's standards for reference, it's just not finished yet.

- Use only the 30-12 (darker) runway on the airport, the other runway is under construction
- Not all colliders on BobCat's plot match their graphical models so on some places there are invisible walls or visible walls but through which you can go.

- Object seam to sink on some places slightly below the surface, but there are no other collision problems rather than that. I will check for solution later. Some locations have pretty "wonky" collisions by the way.

- The piece of Eastern section of Xpressway does not align with the Malleus section. This will of course be corrected when the bridge arrives.
- Hujiwana's apartment blocks are flickering. (z-fighting problem, will be fixed)
- fence on Ozi's plot looks strange, will be replaced with alpha blend shader

//---------- Feedback ---------- //

Please report any performance and collision problems on the forum thread!

//---------- CREDITS ----------//

current buildings:
- Nothke - KC INTL Airport, Strait bridge, Siege island, Eastern Island streets and expressway, Cooly's arena exterior
- BobCat - A3 plot, Eastern Island (plot 10), BobCat industries headquarters
- Hujiwana - D3 plot, Eastern Island, apartment blocks
- Ozi - C4 plot, Eastern Island, small shipyard and village
- Nazari - B2 plot, Eastern Island, skyscrapers and highrises, a petrol station
- SurfThug - D1 plot, Eastern Island, Hospital
- Tom1499 - D4 plot, Eastern Island, communications antenna

phase 1:

- Touhou Torpedo
- Nutt007
- Rasheed
- NGTOne
- Needles 10
- Nazari 1382
- Mr.Desmond Tiny
- Cooly568
- Hoojiwana
- BlazingAngel664
- SolarLiner
- Ozi
- Tom1499
- 96FPS
- Henrik908
- SurfThug

phase 3:

- Devo
- rasheed
- Olympic1
- skykooler
- Kommitz
- POTKC
- squirtgun1234
- Themorris
- Cooly568
- Zachtroid
- hofugir
- Tw1
- Yogui87
- Henrik908
- Psycho529
- Yeomans
- tobyb121
- OrbitusII
- Globox
- Loabstas
- toomtoomX
- duckoftheMoon
- kockaspiton
- JustinS222
- Shef
- Mettwurst
- MrTheBull
- zekes
- HUNTER95
- stijn181

//---------- CHANGELOG ----------//

** BUILD 2:

Major changes:

new geography names:
- City Bay - inner bay

Eastern:

Airport:

Strait:

Minor changes:

** BUILD 1

- First published version

Licence

All rights reserved by respective authors:

Edited by sumghai
Reposted licence info from README within download

The only thing the city needs is a launchpad. 'Cause, you know, every kerbal city with respect for itself has a launchpad.

Agreed. A 'city' without a launchpad I don't think technically qualifies as a city to the Kerbals. I believe their way of thinking is not "Hey we have a city here, lets build a launchpad near it", but rather "Hey we have a launchpad here, let's build a city near it." You guys should build it on that small island in the bay, would be sweet.

Nice job on the city so far btw.

Edited by AncientGammoner

It sure is fun to fly around, but it gets boring very quickly afterwards. I'm looking forward to further expansions!

This mod has a lot of potential, I can't wait.

Edited by Astronomer

It sure is fun to fly around, but it gets boring very quickly afterwards. I'm looking forward to further expansions!

This mod has a lot of potential, I can't wait.

If you're bored please kindly make a donation to the Thompden Kerman underwear relief fund. He has been suffering from excess soilage...

KG77Y0V.jpg

GNajcAn.jpg

r0ob5Uy.jpg

TIA!

this is totally awesome, can't wait until others get their plots filled out, and phase 3!! many thanks to everyone involved in this and, of course, thanks to SQUAD.

in case anyone was wondering this is what a Kerbal looks like at the exact moment that he needs a fresh change of underwear (phase 2):

E8PoyHe.jpg

Edited by Rastgen Kerwin

this is totally awesome, can't wait until others get their plots filled out, and phase 3!! many thanks to everyone involved in this and, of course, thanks to SQUAD.

in case anyone was wondering this is what a Kerbal looks like at the exact moment that he needs a fresh change of underwear (phase 2):

E8PoyHe.jpg

O. M. G. :D I've LOL'ed HARD at this screenshot. Brilliant. Thank you for good laugh.

P.S. I hope you don't mind if i use a part of it as an avatar?

Edited by Scotius

Sorry , I accidentally clicked enter . Anywho . If we combine this mod with extraterrestrial launch pad ( or you make your own new launch pad that's useable) then this will make the game a whole lot funner . Can't wait te see scott manly play this as well