[1.2.0] Precise Node 1.2.4 - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

blizzy78

yes , you can go in\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PreciseNode\plugins\PluginData\PreciseNode,

and modify this file config.xml with notepad

at the line <string name="hideWindow">P</string>, you can try to change the "P" by "none" or anything you want.

for the feed-back, it works well in 1.0.4 but there is still the warning on launch screen.

one feature i would love is to save and restore a set of node per vessel.

I feel silly now. I only tried changing them to empty strings on my own. The mod reverted them back.

Thanks!

Huge thanks.

One more thing where PreciseNode is absolutely great: "Turn on the spot" maneuvers. So I want to go from prograde to retrograde orbit in a single retrograde burn at the high apoapsis? The built-in will start wiggling back and forth once it reaches zero speed. Precise Node allows to simply enter a big negative in the Prograde component and it will work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it has been suggested already, but is there any of adding, either here, or as a different mod, "node info". I mean, it is really frustrating having to guess/eye-ball your inclination, longitude of AN, etc, after being able to set up such a precise node.

@Podesta: try Kerbal Engineer Redux - its HUD functionality should do exactly what you need.

Feature request: display target orbit inclination. Would be hugely useful for my Real Solar System/Realism Overhaul save, whenever I'm launching to geostationary orbit from a non-equatorial launch site. My plan is to burn for a target apoapsis at the AN/DN, correcting the inclination (parking orbit is about 4-5 degrees inclined) at the same time to save delta-v. Would be so much better if I could just read the target inclination instead of having to alt-tab and calculate it separately :)

@Reddy, I do have Kerbal Engineer Redux. Is there an option there to show all those stats for the maneuver node? Oh man, if there is I'll be super happy, because it's one of the things that is quite annoying to me is having to guess the results of my burning.

• 2 weeks later...
How does Precise Node do its version check? It looks like a Mini AVC window, but I have the full KSP-AVC installed and Precise Node doesn't appear under it.

Take a look at the contents of GameData\PreciseNode\plugins\version.txt

Personally, I modified that file to say 1.0.4, and now the version check is happy.

Cool mod, very useful, helps to avoid much weirdness of the stock node editing system. But there's one more weirdness left: a method of viewing resulting future apo and peri info. It would be nice if your mod made it possible to enable this info with a GUI button press or just showed it somewhere, instead of the stock way of "click, click, nah, I don't need to create a node, click, s***t, warp! Stop! Click, click, how to read these overlapping multiple texts now?"

Edited by Ser

Cool mod, very useful, helps to avoid much weirdness of the stock node editing system. But there's one more weirdness left: a method of viewing resulting future apo and peri info. It would be nice if your mod made it possible to enable this info with a GUI button press or just showed it somewhere, instead of the stock way of "click, click, nah, I don't need to create a node, click, s***t, warp! Stop! Click, click, how to read these overlapping multiple texts now?"

Do you mean the feature discussed here:

Wait what?!

... Thank God. I though it was missing in the latest version. But no, I have the latest version and Ap/Pe enabled in the options. All that is needed is hitting the "O" button and enable it.

There is an option to display the resulting Ap/Pe. I didn't know about it until that conversation, and now I use it pretty much every time I edit a maneuver node.

(I use the KER HUD to display the current Ap/Pe)

• 1 month later...

Simple but incredibly frustrating bug to report. Increasing or decreasing the level of patched conics projections resets the manoeuvre node. It should not, since unlike the actual node editing tools changing the patched conics isn't changing the node itself.

I seem to have found a bug.

1) Set your time format to Earth normal

2) Make a node

3) Note time as '1 year xxx days'

4) Change time format to Kerbin format

5) Check node

6) Find that time is '1 year yyyy days'. Time SHOULD be '3 years yyyy' days for this UTC (21060000).

Saving and reloading did not fix this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

This problem also persisted over a reinstall...

I recently found the intuitiveManeuvers mod by TechnocratiK which changes the stock maneuver node gizmo to use the post-maneuver reference frame. The following bug report for KSP explains the issue better than I can, and also links the mod:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3953

Since I am totally in love with that mod, I made a prototype implementation to make the +/- buttons in preciseNode behave the same way. I also changed the display to two fractional digits for better readability, avoiding those typical "5.67890" entries with an invisible "e-11" at the end.

Github (the intuitiveManeuvers and numberDisplay branches)

.Zip (you only need preciseNode.dll)

For example, the "Normal+100" button is now interpreted as "burn 100m/s while following the normal+ marker". The consequence is that the resulting node preserves the magnitude of the velocity and only changes the orbital plane.

Improvements over the current system:

* Normal input does not mess up the AP/PE or orbit eccentricity. So a plane change only needs the 'normal' buttons.

* Likewise, prograde/radial input preserves the orbital plane (in stock they change the inclination if the node already has a normal component).

* Input is actually applied in the direction indicated by the gizmo handles (see the linked bug report for a screenshot why stock does not do this).

Downside

* Pressing one +/- button may change several components on the node, and lead to odd amounts in the display. This might confuse people at first glance.

Since I am convinced that the post-maneuver reference frame is a more natural way of tweaking maneuver nodes, I would like to see it as a feature in preciseNode. The prototype linked above just changes the behavior. I did not open a pull request because the final implementation should probably contain a switch to revert to the current behavior.

@Blizzy, would you include this as a feature?

Edited by pellinor

• 1 month later...

Very cool, thanks for that intuitive mode, it's sure better than current behavior. But, I have another improvement proposal, can you make it switch between two correct maneuver gizmo behaviors (neither of which is the current stock behavior):

1. Maneuver gizmo rotates and modifies maneuver in post-maneuver reference frame (your intuitive behavior)

2. Maneuver gizmo doesn't rotate and modifies maneuver in pre-maneuver reference frame.

While this intuitive mode is better than original, there are situations where I'd rather have static maneuver gizmo. E.g. when trying to reverse orbit direction by dragging retrograde marker, in both modes the gizmo flips out when it crosses 0 velocity, making it impossible to make such maneuver using the gizmo.

That's of course assuming you have control over the rotation of maneuver gizmo.

new intuitive mode for maneuver node handles.

I love you and want to have your babbys.

1. Maneuver gizmo rotates and modifies maneuver in post-maneuver reference frame (your intuitive behavior)

2. Maneuver gizmo doesn't rotate and modifies maneuver in pre-maneuver reference frame.

I would like this as well, if it's possible. I actually thought Intuitive Mode would be that #2 option, as it's "like stock" only he gizmo doesn't change.

When I create multiple maneuver nodes, PreciseNode 1.2.0 only shows the first node. I reverted to PreciseNode 1.1.3 and I get the UI elements for editing the other nodes. If there is info I can provide to help I would be happy get it.

(MechJeb2-2.5.4.0-521 maneuver node editor picks up both nodes FWIW.)

Two nodes exist.

PreciseNode-1.1.3.png: a row of four buttons appears between the title bar and the time. Left arrow, Node 1, Del and Right arrow.

g52hZYt.png

PreciseNode-1.2.0: no buttons appear between the title bar and the time.

K3NoiPZ.png

Edited to add: I now notice that two nodes are not needed -- the missing UI as described above is apparent with a single node.

Edited by Camacan
Simpler repro.

It does. I really did not expect that to be an option! I (blindly) assumed it would always show. Well -- checking options goes on the list of things to check before reporting a bug.

I wonder if other folks might also get bit by this one -- perhaps it should default to "show"?

Thanks for your help.