[1.2.0] Precise Node 1.2.4 - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

blizzy78

21 hours ago, strozyk85 said:

I have a problem with precise node. When I create a node for example to encounter a vessel with the Mun, there is no 'focus on the target' button in the Precise Node window. This worked in the past but in this version I do not have this :(

I don't remember such a button ever existed, you could focus only on the node or the active vessel. I suggest you look at the mod Haystack Continued, it focuses your camera on what you select in its list of targets, and has lots of other useful features. You may want to change the icon to something else though, there's one good option in the forum thread.

Edited by Enceos

On 18. 11. 2016 at 8:41 PM, strozyk85 said:

I have a problem with precise node. When I create a node for example to encounter a vessel with the Mun, there is no 'focus on the target' button in the Precise Node window. This worked in the past but in this version I do not have this :(

It's hidden when you have fresh install. You need to enable it in the settings. Unless I'm mistaken :)

KSP 1.2.1, PN 1.2.4

Problem: AN/DN in wrong places.

What I did:

Put craft into circular equatorial orbit. 130x130 inc 0.01

Selected Minmus as target.

Added node in the random point

Pressed AN (or DN) button.

Node moved, but not into the AN marker, but somewhere about 30 degrees further.

I moved node manually into marker and, by the result of the two burns, marker was in right place.

On 11/20/2016 at 11:23 AM, WildLynx said:

Problem: AN/DN in wrong places.

I've noticed this too.  It seems to be related to the inclination of the target's orbit: the AN/DN buttons work correctly if the target is in an equatorial orbit (like the Mun), but not if it's inclined (like Minmus).  Same thing when rescuing several kerbals from munar orbit, where one was equatorial and the other was not.

I have an additional request for the next iteration of PN:

Some of us out here are either colorblind/color deficient, or our machines are doing something odd.  I probably fit into both categories, given my history of annoying electronic devices.

I'd like to see a color editor / intensity adjust for the node's proposed vector.  I'm told this is normally a green line - on my laptop, I see nothing. The only way I can tell where my orbit goes is by checking the proposed Apiopsis/Periopsis node flags. 

I can work with this, but it would suit my sense of esthetics better if I could actually see the proposed orbit change before I fire off my rear-facing spitwad shooter.

(something akin to "Navball Adjuster", just as a flaming example)

Many thanks are attached to this message.  Please don't get them sticky

I wonder how people can play without this, feels so silly messing with the vanilla handles, never doing what I need them to. Also, being able to put maneuvers right on ap, dn etc. is so cool. Only thing really bothering me is so many times losing target when clicking on the +/- buttons, if only this default double click target switch would be optional.

Edited by bounty123

7 hours ago, bounty123 said:

I wonder how people can play without this, feels so silly messing with the vanilla handles, never doing what I need them to. Also, being able to put maneuvers right on ap, dn etc. is so cool. Only thing really bothering me is so many times losing target when clicking on the +/- buttons, if only this default double click target switch would be optional.

I actually think the main issue with the target switching is not the double click to target, but rather the click through issue.... That's why I asked regarding this some posting ago.... Maybe we are lucky and this will get fixed in the next update.

Still a great mod though, right?

On 12/5/2016 at 0:40 PM, Warezcrawler said:

I actually think the main issue with the target switching is not the double click to target, but rather the click through issue.... That's why I asked regarding this some posting ago.... Maybe we are lucky and this will get fixed in the next update.

Still a great mod though, right?

in reverse order:  absolutely.  I no longer have issues grabbing the wrong handle on the maneuver node.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Re the click-through/switch target.   I've the same problem, though I've never had it switch targets.  I'll be merrily adjusting a vector or time (left/right click on button) and my target will just up and vanish.  Deselected.  Unset.   I've checked, and there's been nothing but space under my PN window. 

Ive PN, Mechjeb, and planetshine installed, no other mods

Lurch

Request (or if there's a mod that does this already I'd like to know): have a way to "lock" a maneuver node's direction while increasing and decreasing the magnitude. (For example if you have a maneuver that's prograde 3 m/s, normal 2 m/s, radial -1 m/s, you can then lock it and increase/decrease it proportionately to say 6 m/s, 4 m/s, -2 m/s. This is sometimes useful, like when periapsis kicking for interplanetary vessels, or when rendezvousing with an object whose orbit you intersect by completing only part of an orbit-matching burn)

Edited by Spheniscine

I think I see what's going on with the AN/DN buttons putting the maneuver in the "wrong" place: it's using the AN/DN relative to the body you're orbiting, not the one you're targeting.  If your target is in a non-equatorial orbit (i.e. Minmus), there's no correlation between the AN/DN markers in the map view and the AN/DN buttons in Precise Node, because they're based on entirely different planes.

Likewise, the "Inclination:" readout near the bottom of the window (when "show orbit information" is enabled) also represents inclination relative to the body you're orbiting, not your target.

Both have their uses, but I think target-based inclination stuff would be generally more useful than current-body-based.  It'd also be less confusing, since the game displays AN/DN markers for a target's orbit but not for the current body's equator.

It might be a good idea to have a second row of UT control buttons, for snapping to points related to a target's orbit.  Target AN/DN could go there, as well as buttons for the orange and purple "closest approach" markers during a rendezvous.

• 3 weeks later...

Also came here to report that the AN/DN shortcuts no longer work for targets.  They only position the node at the point relevant to the orbiting body, unlike in previous versions, which set the node based on the target (if there is one).  It would be nice for this behavior to be restored.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:20 PM, Lurchgs said:

in reverse order:  absolutely.  I no longer have issues grabbing the wrong handle on the maneuver node.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Re the click-through/switch target.   I've the same problem, though I've never had it switch targets.  I'll be merrily adjusting a vector or time (left/right click on button) and my target will just up and vanish.  Deselected.  Unset.   I've checked, and there's been nothing but space under my PN window. 

Ive PN, Mechjeb, and planetshine installed, no other mods

Lurch

I believe a double click in empty space deselects your target.  I had Googled for how to eliminate clickthrough in KSP mods and it sounds quite painful.  The official fix, being a programmer but not knowing KSP/Unity, is there is a new API and GUIs have to be rebuilt from scratch to cleanly eliminate clickthrough.  There are hacks other mods have done but it sounds tricky to get it right.  I end up slowing down how quickly I click on Precise Node to limit the number of time I have things like target deselect happen.  I'm also constantly moving Precise Node GUI around to avoid conics of other vessels.  I blame KSP/Unity for having such a crappy API for so long that hundreds of mods have clickthrough problems with no easy fix.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 10:33 PM, Kvakosavrus said:

Hi!

Maybe there is somebody who can share version 1.1.3 of PN (for KSP 1.0.4), please?

I couln't find this on author page....

Hey @Kvakosavrus, I downloaded Blizzy78's code for PreciseNode 1.1.3 and built it against the library for KSP 1.0.5 (couldn't downgrade to 1.0.4 through Steam).  Try this out...If it doesn't work, I might need you to send me a file from your 1.0.4 install.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Biggen said:

Is this mod now defunct?  Error message when using KSP 1.2.2.  Seems to still work but would have thought it would have been updated to get rid of that error message upon startup.

Current version (1.2.4) works fine with KSP 1.2.2 (build 1622). You get a message from AVC version control, because  the PreciseNode.version file (in GameData/PreciseNode/plugins once installed) has all fields for KSP version stating 1.2.0.0 (therefore, 1.2.2. raises the warning). That version file can be easily edited, if you change the "PATCH" field from 0 to 99 within the "KSP_VERSION_MAX" section, it will not show any warning for any variant of KSP up to 1.2.99.

1 hour ago, diomedea said:

Current version (1.2.4) works fine with KSP 1.2.2 (build 1622). You get a message from AVC version control, because  the PreciseNode.version file (in GameData/PreciseNode/plugins once installed) has all fields for KSP version stating 1.2.0.0 (therefore, 1.2.2. raises the warning). That version file can be easily edited, if you change the "PATCH" field from 0 to 99 within the "KSP_VERSION_MAX" section, it will not show any warning for any variant of KSP up to 1.2.99.

Thanks for that info. But id rather use a mod still being actively developed than modify it myself. Looks like blizzy hasnt even been on the forum since November. :/

• 2 weeks later...

hi @blizzy78,

i notice a bug on KSP 1.2.2 with precise node:

- when i switch to a ship when an already set maneuver node,
and try to modify it in map view with precise node: with the keyboard's shortcuts or the windows,
- it throws exceptions continuously,

[EXC 22:22:32.887] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ManeuverNode.OnGizmoUpdated (Vector3d dV, Double ut)
    RegexKSP.NodeManager.updateNode ()
    RegexKSP.PreciseNode.Update ()

there is a workaround to stop exception spam for players:
- delete the manoeuvre nodes
- or just click on the node to open the handles, then click away.

it is maybe  related to this?
Bug #13711: ManeuverNode.OnGizmoUpdated throws an exception
http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13711

Tell me if you need more infos or if i can help more :/

Edited by Skalou

Blizzy was not seen since last November, so this mod is probably abandoned...

That's shame, great mod.

Only serious bug it have is "Clicks activate things under mod's window", but now no one can fix it...