[1.2.0] Precise Node 1.2.4 - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

blizzy78

Just asking out of courtesy ^^

I appreciate that, but IMO it's not really necessary. Design and interface elements should be used based on the merits of their functionality, and there's no reason to limit yourself out of courtesy.

Any chance a future version could include a 'Focus Node' hotkey/button?

I'll have to look into whether that's actually feasible within KSP but I'll add it as a TODO item to try out. If I can do it, I'll turn the node number at the top (between the node forward and backward buttons) into a button that will let you focus.

This is quite literally "hype". Work-in-progress:

6zQcGi2.png

Is there any additional information you'd like to see on the Trip Info window?

E: Also, I have inadvertently fixed the jittery node issue, at least when dragging the node around the orbit. I'm not entirely sure what fixed it but I did add an additional check for the Clock window in order to figure out if the window needed resizing and that probably removed a lot of unnecessary variable assignments and checks. So, sorry for blaming Squad for that one, folks. :blush:

Edited by regex

Wonderful plugin. May I suggest a "snap to" functionality? Like the one in Mechjeb, you have a button to move the node exactly over say the Ap or Pe. That's really useful for the OCD guys like me. :)

I'll look into that, would be a nice addition to the course time controls.

This is a fantastic mod, it has certainly made interplanetary journeys significantly easier. If I may I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Add a separate 'increment' for the node time - when on large interplanetary orbits an increment of 100 is not really large enough.

2) If possible allow the user to select which planet the periapse and apoapse are shown for.

Thanks!

This is a fantastic mod, it has certainly made interplanetary journeys significantly easier. If I may I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Add a separate 'increment' for the node time - when on large interplanetary orbits an increment of 100 is not really large enough.

Thanks!

This is alredy in v0.5 just need to set visible on at "O" button list. This mod is growing in very right way.

Another idea that came to mind the other day. A reset button to cero-out an axis (or an edit were you can just type, like in the UT box). Sometimes I miss click when trying to move the node on the orbit and change the value of the normal or some other axis. It could be nice to have a "set to 0" button for the axis, because using the +/- buttons might take a while.

2) If possible allow the user to select which planet the periapse and apoapse are shown for.

Hopefully in the next update you'll be able to see that information for the selected maneuver node, so maybe that'll work?

Isnt the change in dV per second calculable by the TWR?

KER can compute the TWR ... maybe PreciseNode could fetch the TWR in a similar way and display a more precise burn time?

You need a full blown vessel simulator, like MJ or Engineer, to make that happen since there is far more that goes into those calculations than TWR. KSP does a fine job with burn times already.

It could be nice to have a "set to 0" button for the axis, because using the +/- buttons might take a while.

Edit textboxes are on my TODO list.

Ah, this looks great. There would have been quite a bit of work to implement all the stuff on TODO list to maneuver node improvement. Considering this does all it did, I can drop MNI for good and focus on KSP Mission Control without feeling like I'm neglecting anyone who uses MNI! I'll add a redirect from the MNI thread to here.

Ah, this looks great. There would have been quite a bit of work to implement all the stuff on TODO list to maneuver node improvement. Considering this does all it did, I can drop MNI for good and focus on KSP Mission Control without feeling like I'm neglecting anyone who uses MNI!

Hey, thanks! You had made mention of wanting to focus on KSP Mission Control in your thread (I know that feeling sometimes too, lol) so I didn't feel like I'd be stepping on your toes too much.

I'll add a redirect from the MNI thread to here.

I really appreciate that!

I can't seem to get it to work. I only have flight engineer downloaded.

Put the PreciseNode folder in your KSP GameData folder, like you did with Engineer. Once you're in flight, create a maneuver node and the main window will show up. You can configure it from there.

Hi! I am making a modpack of mods that improve the stock KSP experience! I was wondering if it would be possible to add your mod into the pack?

I'd definitely prefer if you didn't.

To everyone else: Sorry if I'm taking a long time with the next version, it's partially completed but I've been doing a crunch project at work and have been quite burnt out on programming by the time I get home. I'll do my best to get a few more features done this weekend and get an update out. Thanks for your patience.

0.6 is now out. I bought a six-pack, powered through the coding pain, and made a new version. I'm still mulling over ways to tackle some of the TODO items, most especially the saving and loading of nodes. I thought it would be cool to do it on a per-vessel basis in a config file somewhere, then the nodes would be saved even if you closed the program. Unfortunately that's going to take some sober coding. Also, the MechJeb thing should theoretically be very easy but I suspect it creates nodes with a null ManeuverNodeGizmo, and I would have to install checks for that throughout the main GUI window (this isn't a hard coding task, it's just tedious). Lastly, typing lag is a huge PITA; I'm not even sure where to start.

Here's the changelog, let me know if anything is bad.

PreciseNode 0.6
- Added the time to next node in the Clock window if a node is present.
- Added a Trip Info window.
- Shows the delta-V and time until for the nodes on your route.
- Totals delta-V for the route.
- Added snap to current orbit peri- and apoapsis buttons for additional UT Controls.
- Now calculating next encounter from the current node forward.
- The "Editing Node" label at the top is now a button that focuses the map view
on that particular node.
- The Clock window will no longer stay visible when you clear the GUI via F2.

Hey regex, could you put this somewhere other than a Google drive folder that requires a Google account to access? It makes it hard to get to. :)

I just opened an incognito window in Chrome and successfully downloaded it without logging in. Try "File->Download".

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to put this on some crappy, ad-infested, wait-until-I'm-ready service like MediaFire, and until the SpacePort is reasonably usable I'm not bothering with that either. Google Drive is free for me, free from ads, and works relatively well.

Edited by regex

Great plugin. Helps a lot for delicate stuff too. I just noticed what some of the features do today after using it regularly for months. I was able to get NaN ap/pe even easier than before for fun too! And it just occurred to me that it may help to get really circular geosynchronous orbits for satellites, engine limits permitting..

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely useful plugin. Many thanks regex for this. I have tried other mods here, but whenever I need to perform a precision manouever (could be a perfect orbital insertion, a most timely burn, or just the least expensive) I use PreciseNode to check if my plan is really the best. If only I could ask PreciseNode and have it check automatically for me...