[1.2.0] Precise Node 1.2.4 - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

blizzy78

Does anybody else think it might be nice to have the +Orb and –Orb buttons honor the increment setting (1, 10, 100)?

I think it would make setting up asteroid-intercepts many days in advance easier. I wouldn't have to click the +Orb button a hundred times.

Maybe click orb does +1, right click orb does +10? I almost never want to go more than a few orbits and it's already kind of a pain to jump back and forth between the units and the grade/normal/radial buttons over and over.

That said, any chance we could have non-global rates? I have no idea how much more it'd clutter the interface but to have one set for each would be nice. Not necessary or anything, but nice.

That said, any chance we could have non-global rates? I have no idea how much more it'd clutter the interface but to have one set for each would be nice.

I think it would clutter the interface quite a lot. So you'd need a way to temporarily hide those buttons, or actually it's the other way around, to temporarily show them when you want to change the factors. But then you get the problem that each parameter (prograde, retrograde, and so on) uses its own factor, and you may get lost in all of it trying to remember which one uses which factor.

I think it would clutter the interface quite a lot. So you'd need a way to temporarily hide those buttons, or actually it's the other way around, to temporarily show them when you want to change the factors. But then you get the problem that each parameter (prograde, retrograde, and so on) uses its own factor, and you may get lost in all of it trying to remember which one uses which factor.

I agree 100% with this. I still want it :)

Here's another crazy thought. How about ditching the 5 buttons for 0.01-100 and instead having 4 buttons, one between each set of -/+ buttons, that lists the amount? You could then have left click to go down and right click to go up. You could even allow higher and lower precision (though lower than 0.01 is probably not ever going to be necessary).

Like this, only not ugly:

precisenode_proposal.png

precisenode_proposal.png

After sleeping on it I still like this idea which usually means its a good one :D One thought, though, I think the new button should be between the number and the -/+ buttons, not between the - and + buttons. I spend a lot of time going "plus plus plus minus. Think. Plus plus. Plus. Minus minus" and putting something between those two buttons would probably break that flow a little.

If I understand the suggestion correctly, it seems pretty similar to how the forerunner of this mod, Maneuver Node Improvement, was structured.

The one thing I remember about that mod (much as I loved it) was the continual ballache of cycling through each magnitude for each dimension.

PreciseNode's current structure is better because you can click the magnitude you require quickly. You may have to change the magnitude more frequently as you edit different dimensions, but that change is always a single click. Having to cycle through the magnitudes adds waaay more clicks to the process in my experience. Being able to cycle in two directions might reduce clicks, but I still think the current structure is more efficient.

===============

SIMPLE SUGGESTION

===============

One thing that Maneuver Node Improvement did have right was the correct use of colours that matched the stock node widget, thus indicating dimension (see pic in link above). Pale green means prograde, magenta means normal, blue means radial.

When I first started playing KSP, I found this colour association quite useful and aided in developing a more intuitive feel for orbital maneuvers and the use of the mod. I think this is something that experienced players forget, as terms like radial, normal and prograde become common currency for them.

As such, if I were to suggest anything, it would be dropping the colours in the row of buttons that alter the position of a dropped node (Orb +/-, DN, AN, Peri, Apo) and re-colouring them as grey. There is no colour association made for these concepts in the stock game, thus they are at best a distraction, at worse an incorrect association for newer players.

Instead, use the pale green, magenta and blue colours as the border colour for the prograde, normal and radial text entry boxes, respectively... thus keeping the colour association consistent with stock.

Been meaning to suggest this ever since those node placement buttons were added and coloured.

Edited by TMS

I agree, I too feel a little overwhelmed by all those colors. Changing the relevant input fields (prograde, normal, radial) to their respective maneuver node handle colors seems best to me.

In addition to that, I also agree with the clicking too much. Especially when you're trying to tweak a maneuver node little by little, it is really distracting to focus your eyes on the buttons to find the '-' button, then focus back to see what your clicks will do, then focus on '+' again, focus back to see the results of clicking, and so on. I was thinking about changing the +/- buttons so that there will be only one button that reacts differently depending on which mouse button you click it with - plus with the left mouse button, minus for right mouse button. Really simple, but I think it helps alot to keep your eyes focused on the map itself.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the in theory very useful plugin, and disclosing that it "phones home" without user consent.

Can this behavior be disabled? Your post doesn't say. The supplied readme files do not say. Neither the options GUI nor the configfile shows such a setting. In other words, the user is neither asked nor listened to, regarding permission to make outside connections using the users network? I'm not going to use a piece of software, which's behavior borders on malware (and yes, this isn't specific to your plugin - any software that does intrusive uncontrolled autoupdating, borders on malware, since it explicitely ignores the users wishes on how his machine is to be used).

I really find it hard to play without this addon, but at the same time I have mixed feelings about it. So here is some friendly feedback:

1) Tooltips would be golden. I still don't know what half the buttons do because it isn't obvious to me, and there is no tooltip to tell me.

2) I'd really like a way to close the window once i'm done setting the node, rather than having this huge UI cluttering my view until I get around to making the burn.

1) Tooltips would be golden.

Agreed.

2) I'd really like a way to close the window once i'm done setting the node, rather than having this huge UI cluttering my view until I get around to making the burn.

Press P. At least that's what the OP says, I don't use it myself actually :)

You know what would be incredibly usefull and awesome in PrecNode? Button "Circularize from here" :D

Not going to happen.

Press P. At least that's what the OP says, I don't use it myself actually :)

My bad. I totally skipped over the keyboard shortcuts section because i'm so bad with remembering shortcuts I usually don't even bother. I was looking for a button.

You know what would be incredibly usefull and awesome in PrecNode? Button "Circularize from here" :D

MechJeb's manuever planner has a "circularize" option. You don't have to use the autopilot to fly it -- it's just really handy for setting up those common maneuvers you have to do over and over. (I use it for this, but never use the autopilot.)

Awwww :P I'll admit I've wished this was a feature too. However I really should just hunker down and do the maths in Kerbulator

OMG thank you for making me aware of Kerbulator! I have always been torn between using MJ on one hand and feeling like i'm cheating, or totally guessing on the other hand and I don't enjoy that either. Now I have KNOWLEDGE as a weapon and can actually figure these things out for myself and understand what i'm doing!

Thank you!

MechJeb's manuever planner has a "circularize" option.

I know it has. It also has node editor, so what is the point of using PrecNode at all?

And Im gonna answer right away: because its nicer, small handy plugin that automatically engages itself when needed. Also one of first plugs I install every KSP reinstall. And 40-50% cases of its use is circularization. Pitty it needs another plugin :(

I know it has. It also has node editor, so what is the point of using PrecNode at all?

And Im gonna answer right away: because its nicer, small handy plugin that automatically engages itself when needed. Also one of first plugs I install every KSP reinstall. And 40-50% cases of its use is circularization. Pitty it needs another plugin :(

The point of precisenode is to do it precisely, but to do it yourself. I support the lack of automation in this mod.

EDIT: (or is that -- Update -- now?)

Also, if you're talking circularizing at apoapsis after ascent, just click the AP button and drag your node out until your AP becomes your PE. Then click down -10 or -1 a couple times to circularize.

If you're talking crazy orbit-matching circularization where you're doing radial, prograde, and maybe even normal burns at the same time that's some of the fun of the game IMO, and I learned so much (and continue to learn) about saving fuel by doing them manually I'd never dream of handing that over to the computer.

And I use PreciseNode far more often to plan interplanetary encounters. I sometimes don't even bother with maneuver nodes when doing simple circularizations.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I'm voting for the "circularize" button; option to hide it if you like. But the reason I use this is it's better than MechJeb's node editor & planner. I want no reason to bring up MJ's planner. Adding this and Hohman Xfer to xxxx meters means I can stop fiddling with those MJ windows. You could even use Jeb to do the work and just provide an interface to input the data.

KSP is telling me that Precisenode is incompatible with the latest version. I haven't yet confirmed whether it is actually broken or non-functional in-game, but I thought I should let you know.