[1.2.0] Precise Node 1.2.4 - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

blizzy78

Regex, any plans to do a stock like UI for this? Similar to the one used by Engineer Redux?

Nope, I hate the stock UI look. I feel like it uses too much padding which just wastes space on my laptop screen. Much as I like Engineer, that's one of my biggest gripes with it.

Suggestion: A button which switches your view to the targeted body, this would be handy in fine tunning your trajectory when you use conics mode 0.

Great idea, I'll try and find a place for that, maybe down by the conics buttons...

Could somebody explain to me what the conic modes section of the readout is/does?

Different ways of representing encounters during orbital maneuvers. Stock is 3, most people end up using 0. You can see an example of 0 in the first screenshot on the first post. The others are variations of those two. Best way to see how the conics work is to set up an encounter with the Mun and then click through them.

Did something change with the Orbital Info readout in the latest version? I thought it used to display the information for the node I was currently editing. But now it seems to display information for the current orbit of my craft. Nice, but not as useful when trying to fine tune a node.

Did something change with the Orbital Info readout in the latest version? I thought it used to display the information for the node I was currently editing. But now it seems to display information for the current orbit of my craft. Nice, but not as useful when trying to fine tune a node.

Huh, I'll have to check the code. I was passing code back and forth between computers so it's likely I messed something up.

While you are in the code anyway ... ;)

Is it possible for PreciseNode to show the orientation of the craft necessary for a burn in the (as of now tidy and half empty) trip window?

I am not sure how to make RT2s flight computer to burn different nodes, setting them up in advance.

Is it possible for PreciseNode to show the orientation of the craft necessary for a burn in the (as of now tidy and half empty) trip window?

I am not sure how to make RT2s flight computer to burn different nodes, setting them up in advance.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here. What kind of information do you need in order to plot for the RT2 flight computer? Doesn't it already have the ASAS from MechJeb? You should be able to click the NODE button to correctly orient.

I am not sure if the node button realigns after the first burn for the next node to automatically do the next burn.

What it can do, is align to a heading (90,90,90) - can this heading be displayed in PreciseNode?

But I think I will test the flight computer a bit more before I burden you with unnecessary work!

Here are some error logs - the game crashes while setting up precise node - may be coincidence, but I have to start somewhere - I just cannot read logs.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7le2atlmmic8xdd/h2GL9rmjqw

Good Christmas, you've got a lot of DLLs loading... Off-hand, try removing RT2 and tell me if that solves the problem. Also, make sure you have the latest version of PreciseNode installed. Near as I can tell someone has some messed up GUI code.

Nah, just the bare necessities!

What I can tell you rightaway is, I just updated PreciseNode today.

Copying game, removing RT2, be right back.

Edit:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vzw67gwr0wo5xhd/PxseRT-H-T

It seems to happen almost instantly after pressing F3 F3 F3.

Edit2:

Reinstalled RT2, removed KAS (added parts only today to techtree, but vessel had no KAS parts even) - pressing F3 repeatedly crashes the game.

Edit3:

In a last attempt I reinstalled KAS and removed SCANsat - F3 crashes the game when pressed repeatedly.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fksx2zyg3mtj4eh/D7-oGgGdlp

Edited by KerbMav

It seems to happen almost instantly after pressing F3 F3 F3.

Huh? Well, I'll have a look at it when I can and check my own logs but I develop in a clean KSP environment and both of my playing installs have far less in the way of mods than you have, so I don't know how much I can actually do.

So as it turns out I need to rewrite this mod somewhat. I'm handling Unity GUI layout changes in a bad manner which is probably what is causing KerbMav's issues and generating errors. On the bright side changing when and how events are processed will probably fix the textbox typing lag and give me an opportunity to handle null Gizmos (what I suspect is the issue with MechJeb). Anyway, this is going to take some time and I'm heading out on a family vacation for the next few days, but I'll be back on it early next week.

Also, the next version will decide whether to show orbit info or encounter info based on the current node forward, so if you're planning a circularization node after a node that made an encounter, the AP/PE will show if you have the second node selected.

Have a nice Thanksgiving, Americans. Everyone else, enjoy your weekend. I'll be coding again on Monday or Tuesday.

When you do the rewrite, would you consider adding text entry for the delta-v values? It can be a bit cumbersome to hit the incremental +/- buttons when I want to start with something like 525, or want to zero a component out.

Want to echo this, before it was great for changing your orbits around a planet to get exact numbers (trying to rendezvous for example). Now, it is inconsistent and doesn't typically display it if your orbit remains in the SOI you are in, but say for example, you are travelling to Duna from Kerbin, the node editor will show the expected periapsis around Duna.

Update:

The rewrite is going pretty well. I've updated the GUI logic and have eliminated the previous errors, which boiled down to Unity calling the same function twice and me removing elements during the repaint event (if you're interested, read about it here). It took me a bit because I had to wrap my head around the problem and come up with a solution I was happy with, but it was also nice to review the code and shuffle some things around to make it cleaner.

I seem to have eliminated all typing lag (most likely because GUI events are now handled properly) and have implemented text boxes for UT, prograde, normal, and radial controls; I'll make sure to test this on my sandbox install (which is pretty flight-laggy) since my development install is pared down to the essentials and runs quite fast as-is. Flight lag will be the big test of textbox lag. There is also the issue of the next encounter checking which means I'll be carefully reading your suggestions to make sure I've implemented them correctly (pretty sure it's working how y'all want it right now, but it's still a good idea to check).

Unfortunately I have introduced a new error into a KSP base class that happens on camera movement in map view, so I've got to track down where I'm messing that up. No release date but I feel we're pretty close. I'll be testing this one on a heavily modded install to make sure everything looks okay.

Glad to see this being maintained. It is such an awesome help for keeping my sanity while trying to intercept other planets ;)

One small suggestion, assuming you keep the arrow buttons: add another column of buttons in in-between to zero out the current value. I think i would rather use that plus the arrow buttons instead of typing in values. Btw., would it be possible to support the mouse wheel? Basically it should increase/decrease the value of a text field over which you hover with the mouse.