[1.2.0] Precise Node 1.2.4 - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

blizzy78

So why is it included anyhow?

To not break compatibility for players that have been using the part. I've mentioned that in the change log as well.

Can I delete the part folder and it still works ok?

If you did not ever use it, yes you can.

I've noticed that if you click AN/DN/Peri/Apo buttons, they snap to that marker on the current orbit. With KSP's (and Precienode's) ability to jump orbits, could we get those to snap to the marker on the correct orbit?

It may be difficult to determine which is in the current orbit, but as most people click those buttons to just snap the marker when they're already really close, just "closest" would be fine, I think.

Also, and this is probably really hard but someone once told me to ask anything, and they can determine if it's hard or not (It may have even been you :)) but, if I'm for example orbiting Sun, but setting up a maneuver during an eventual Eve encounter, I'd love to be able to snap to that periapsis. Currently, I click the Peri button and my node jumps to my Sun periapsis. Seems reasonable to, if possible, snap to the periapsis that is in the same SOI as the node you're editing.

One small issue that could deserve some effort to correct: on occasions, PreciseNode window goes blank (I remember to have seen this happening with past versions, at least since 0.9 but possibly before). For blank, I mean the windowrect still displays, and the two buttons marked O and K on the border, but nothing inside it. O and K buttons do work, but nothing else (like e.g. the P key).

Now, have observed this happening when, already very close to a SoI change, tried to move the node time so it would happen on the other conic patch. Therefore it appears PreciseNode can't manage a change of conic for the node it is dealing with.

From the above, would like to ask:

- at minimum, a check to be implemented so to make a node stick with the conic it was generated for (with possibly a warning for users trying to move it out of those bounds);

- at best, a way to move the existing node across a SoI change (e.g., could a new node be generated on the other conic, retaining all DV settings of the original that could be deleted at the same time?)

P.S.: PreciseNode returns to work correctly after deleting the culprit node and some fiddling with the settings.

PreciseNode window goes blank (I remember to have seen this happening with past versions, at least since 0.9 but possibly before). For blank, I mean the windowrect still displays, and the two buttons marked O and K on the border, but nothing inside it. O and K buttons do work, but nothing else (like e.g. the P key).

This sounds like there is an exception occurring. Please see your output_log.txt when that happens.

This sounds like there is an exception occurring. Please see your output_log.txt when that happens.

Of course you're right, unfortunately I couldn't take the output_log when it happened, and it shows some specific condition must exist for this to occur (just trying to recreate casually doesn't do). Since this happened a number of times to me, I am confident it will do again, and will have that log available next time.

Thanks for your attention.

Is there a way to see your planned orbit's inclination?

In the options window, there is a setting that enables display of ejection inclination. But that's probably not what you're asking for - it will show the relative inclination between your planned orbital plane and the current body's orbital plane around its parent body.

I think you are. Like I've said, it displays the relative inclination between your planned orbit and the body's orbit around its parent. For example, Moho's orbit around the Sun is inclined, so it would display the relative inclination between your planned orbit and that inclined orbit. This has nothing to do with axial tilt. (Again, this all does not seem to be what you were asking for - the relative inclination between your current orbit and your planned orbit.)

blizzy79 understood what I was asking. I was indeed referring to axial tilt.

I was trying to get a satellite in a perfect 90º inclination, and KER lets me see my current inclination, but not planned inclination. So my current inclination would end up at a value like 90.12º, and then it would be difficult for me to figure out whether to boost the normal or anti-normal vector at the ascending/descending node, since visually I can't tell the difference between 90º and 90.12º in the map view.

• 2 weeks later...

I have PreciseNode .12 installed, but I don't see the option to configure it as one of the visible buttons on the toolbar. Do I need to have the CBA installed to do this?

If so, how can I even install that module on the ship, given that it has a category of "none" and therefore does not appear in my Part Catalog?

The only thing I could imagine is that I have installed it incorrectly - but the PreciseNode folder is within my Game Data folder alongside all of my other mods. No nested Game Data folders or anything silly like that.

Edited by HeadHunter67

I have PreciseNode .12 installed, but I don't see the option to configure it as one of the visible buttons on the toolbar.

PreciseNode does not provide any toolbar buttons.

Do I need to have the CBA installed to do this?

If so, how can I even install that module on the ship, given that it has a category of "none" and therefore does not appear in my Part Catalog?

This part is obsolete since KSP >= 0.23.5 can persist maneuver nodes in the save file now.

OK, thanks. I guess I was confused - I see now that the main post has Toolbar support as an eventual goal.

I haven't tried to use the window yet, but I did get it to pop up when creating a new node or clicking on an existing one. At no other time can I get it to come up, but I suppose this is intentional.

Now I just need to figure out how to use all this wonderful functionality. I'm planning my first manual interplanetary trip (I did some probe flybys in .21 using MJ, but I haven't felt a need to use that since) and having the ejection angle is very helpful. Between this and Kerbal Alarm Clock, I think I have everything I need to get the mission done!

Thanks again, Blizzy. I owe so much of my success and enjoyment in KSP to the things you have provided. Your plugins and tutorials are essential to me!

Does anyone else have problems placing a node far into the future? Or have I dropped a few IQ points?

I'm currently trying to get a stable node set up for my return journey from Eeloo. Based on phase angle projections, the next available window is in 182 days.

I'm punching in numbers to get to the approximately correct date-time, using finer grain numbers to attune my exit angle and velocity. Trouble is, the greater precision results in all sorts of wobble and paradoxical behaviour.

For example, I add "1" to each additional decimal place on the date-time, which should result in an increasingly smaller (but unidirectional) increment on the ejection angle:

D2HuyY9.png

Uhhh... as I'm writing this, I just noticed the ejection angle readout going absolutely crazy, spitting out hundreds of numbers per second. I expect the problem is something to do with stock KSP (increasing error further in time), but felt the need to log it.

What happened to the "we've fixed nodes" statements of .23.5??? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to mention I LOVE you and couldn't imagine playing KSP without Precise Node now. Also, I have a suggestion: you know when KSP bugs out and won't let you place a node on your current (blue) trajectory, only the purple (future) one? A nice option might be the ability to just have Precise NOde place a node X minutes in the future. And, again, thanks for the awesome mod!

Does anyone else have problems placing a node far into the future? Or have I dropped a few IQ points?

I'm currently trying to get a stable node set up for my return journey from Eeloo. Based on phase angle projections, the next available window is in 182 days.

I'm punching in numbers to get to the approximately correct date-time, using finer grain numbers to attune my exit angle and velocity. Trouble is, the greater precision results in all sorts of wobble and paradoxical behaviour.

For example, I add "1" to each additional decimal place on the date-time, which should result in an increasingly smaller (but unidirectional) increment on the ejection angle:

http://i.imgur.com/D2HuyY9.png

Uhhh... as I'm writing this, I just noticed the ejection angle readout going absolutely crazy, spitting out hundreds of numbers per second. I expect the problem is something to do with stock KSP (increasing error further in time), but felt the need to log it.

What happened to the "we've fixed nodes" statements of .23.5??? :D

I'm having a different, but similar issue. I'm not sure what Mod is at fault, but there seems to be a major timing issue going on with the placement of the nodes:

1396BB15A0B244E3B6E718B312284A63116D860C

Note that PreciseNode shows Year 2, But everything else shows Year 5. Also, the node is placed in the future, but PreciseNode and Alarm Clock show it as 38 days in the future, whereas RT2 shows it as 9. Needless to say, I'm having trouble sending my Duna probe.

Is your game set to display Kerbin days, or Earth days? Sounds like PreciseNode and Alarm Clock are talking about 38 Kerbin days, where RT2 is talking 9 Earth days. Go into settings and check to see - the 23.5 update runs on Kerbin days by default. Changing it to Earth days should fix your issue.

Is your game set to display Kerbin days, or Earth days? Sounds like PreciseNode and Alarm Clock are talking about 38 Kerbin days, where RT2 is talking 9 Earth days. Go into settings and check to see - the 23.5 update runs on Kerbin days by default. Changing it to Earth days should fix your issue.
Just to note, PreciseNode should display Earth/Kerbin days and durations correctly.

Ok, by switching to "Earth days" all the stats sync up. Of course, I don't really want to run in Earth days.

Also, if you note from the previous screenshot, even though "Kerbin Days" was selected in settings, the time that PreciseNode was showing was still in Earth days. Could this be because this save game originated from .22?