[0.21.X] Rocketdyne F-1 Liquid Engine (Saturn V main engines) UPDATED v1.2

1096bimu

I was just going thru my mod list, and cleaning house and updating mods I have collected, and came across the original .7z for one of versions of this mod...

Since there seems to be some (relatively) recent interest in this (abandoned?) mod, and the original links are dead, I repacked the .7z to .zip, and renamed it to closer match the title of this thread...thats all i changed: contents are all original.

Based on the open license included in the archive, i figured i would throw it up on my GoogleDrive for awhile, in case someone else wants to grab it and resurrect this...i guess there other versions of the F-1 out there in other mods, but here ya go if you want THIS one I guess...

OLD, lower memory version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D_PFGuuyqobXAtcm5LV1h4WDg/view?usp=sharing

EDIT- Doh!...I should have read a couple pages back, instead of just going from first page to last page in the thread...

I see NathanKell has a link where you can get the other version...

i grabbed it, also just renamed it, and threw it up on my googleDrive also (Hope you dont mind NathanKell...If you want me to take it down, just PM me):

NEW, larger memory version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D_PFGuuyqoZUd0UE9ERkY1Uk0/view?usp=sharing

EDIT #2: Ugh...I somehow downloaded the same version for both links... :(

its fixed now...Way to tell, is the NEW version should be 23.6MB when extracted, OLD version should be 3.9MB when extracted...Sorry...I need to learn not to post stuff like this that requires some brain function, after 11:00PM...lol

Edited by Stone Blue

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, Bowman said:

Does anyone know if this engine works under 1.1? I found it on ckan for 1.1 but can't find it in the VAB. Maybe anyone can help. Thanks.

You might try running a cfg like this

@PART[*]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]:Final
{
	TechRequired = start
        entryCost = 1200
        cost = 250
}

Looking at the cfg it's missing a couple of things

32 minutes ago, Bowman said:

Thank you! It worked out pretty well. Theres just a feature I noticed: It's not able to fully shutdown the engine. Is this correct?

Try this

Spoiler

PART
{
// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config
// LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine
//  

// --- general parameters ---
name = F1 RocketMotor
module = Part
author = 1096bimu

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, -3.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, -3.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustFlame_yellow = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -3.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

// --- Sound FX definition ---

sound_vent_medium = engage
sound_rocket_hard = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = heavierRocketry
entryCost = 38000
cost = 13000
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = Rocketdyne F-1
manufacturer = Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne  
description = The F-1 is a gas-generator cycle rocket engine developed by Rocketdyne in the late 1950s and used in the Saturn V rocket in the 1960s and early 1970s. Five F-1 engines were used in the S-IC first stage of each Saturn V, which served as the main launch vehicle in the Apollo program. The F-1 is still the most Explosive, no no no I mean, Powerful single-chamber liquid-fueled rocket engine ever developed.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
heatConductivity = 0.06 // half default
skinInternalConductionMult = 4.0
emissiveConstant = 0.8 // engine nozzles are good at radiating.
mass = 8.4
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2000 // = 3600
bulkheadProfiles = size2
tags = ascent launch main

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleEngines
    thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
    exhaustDamage = True
    ignitionThreshold = 0.1
    minThrust = 0
    maxThrust = 6773
    heatProduction = 500
    fxOffset = 0, 0, 2.0
        EngineType = LiquidFuel
        exhaustDamageDistanceOffset = 0.56
    PROPELLANT
    {
        name = LiquidFuel
            ratio = 0.9
        DrawGauge = True
    }
    PROPELLANT
    {
        name = Oxidizer
        ratio = 1.1
    }
    atmosphereCurve
     {
        key = 0 325
       key = 1 263
         key = 9 0.001
     }

}

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleGimbal
    gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
    gimbalRange = 0.5
}

MODULE
{
      name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
      animationName = overheat
      dependOnEngineState = True
      dependOnThrottle = True
      responseSpeed = 0.0
}

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleAlternator    
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        rate = 8.0
    }
}
RESOURCE
{
    name = ElectricCharge
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 0
    isTweakable = false
    hideFlow = true
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSurfaceFX
        thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
        fxMax = 0.8
        maxDistance = 50
        falloff = 1.8
        thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
    }

}
}

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
11 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

could you make a more stockalike and low res version of this? my pc would catch on fire if I installed it.

The mod you are looking for is called Bluedog Design Bureau. If you want even more stockalike, try Restock. Either way, note that the last previous post here was over two years ago.

6 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

my pc would also catch on fire at the part count of BDB.

so?

You necroposted, meaning you brought a 'dead' thread back to life, which is kind of frowned upon. 

This mod is also dead considering the author hasn't been on the forum since 2014.

If you would like an F-1 engine, there are three ways to get it: BDB, FASA, or through the Making History DLC. If you want a better looking F-1 with the DLC, use Restock/Restock+.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath...

STrmxMh.png

14 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

my pc would also catch on fire at the part count of BDB.

Install BDB and delete everything other than the F-1? I'm only half joking.

There's also the Boar engine from Restock, I can't remember if you need the MH DLC for it though.

Both posters above have given great alternatives. There *are* definately better versions of this mod out there.

However, IMHO, I've never understood the whole "OMG!... you posted on a thread older than 6mos old!! ":o
If necroposting is such a horrible thing, why shouldnt the forums just automatically wipe every thread off the server, that hasnt had a relevant post on it within  the last 6 mos?
Oh, but wait... then people wouldnt be able to use the standard response for people posting new threads looking for info/help, of... "You posted a question that has been answered before, go search for an existing thread..."

I dont see a problem with "necroposting", at least when the post is relevant and posted on an Add-On Development or Release thread, when there is content still available. *Especially*, when it still works. Also, especially when there is anything but an ARR license on the content.

I've also always hated when people immediately go to, "The mod is DEAD, Jim!" just because its old, and/or "The author isnt around, so mod is dead".
I understand there *are* times when its OK to point out when there is absolutely no life left in a mod, but see my point above.

@darthvader15001 dont get discouraged and think you cant post on old threads. *Yes*, think about whether your post is really relevant, and really try to search, and to read previous posts in old threads, before posting, but you dont have to *NOT* necropost, *ever*,  just because people who arent forum moderators tell you not to...

Relevant thread content:
While MeCripp has provided a link to the "new", hi-res version, with .dds textures, here's the "old" version which is lower res (but has .pngs instead of .dds textures):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D_PFGuuyqobXAtcm5LV1h4WDg/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-SPFfGa2QCrRHwZhUdafCxg

Edited by Stone Blue

On 7/20/2022 at 7:31 AM, darthvader15001 said:

Ok thanks I won’t do it again I’m new to the forums

You can post anywhere you want, in any thread you want. It'll be in your best interest to look backwards in the thread before you post, just so you understand the state of the mod, and the last things said about it. But people showing interest in old mods should never be discouraged!

38 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Often, by having them pop-up in the latest forum activity, when someone "necroposts" on them :P

And this is why. :)

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.