[0.21.X] Rocketdyne F-1 Liquid Engine (Saturn V main engines) UPDATED v1.2

1096bimu

would it be possible to get a two engine mount as well to create a F-1b booster style booster? without having to use the offsetters, its getting annoying, well actually really pretty, when I launch a rocket and all of the engines just come off

Edited by Crashonaut

Just for giggles I did a very fast work-up of the SaturnV first stage 'tank'. Kept it RL scale to match this beautiful engine......

MKdnL32.jpg

I cant keep the engines from pressing through the model on anything more than about 25% throttle.

Keep in mind this is only the first stage of a 3 stage launch vehicle. The 2 upper stages together would almost be the height of this first one. Kinda puts in perspective how small these little green dudes really are compared to us. Just figured Id share =P

would it be possible to get a two engine mount as well to create a F-1b booster style booster? without having to use the offsetters, its getting annoying, well actually really pretty, when I lanch a rocket and all of the engines just come off

I'd totally make the F-1B first, I like big engines!

Just for giggles I did a very fast work-up of the SaturnV first stage 'tank'. Kept it RL scale to match this beautiful engine......

MKdnL32.jpg

I cant keep the engines from pressing through the model on anything more than about 25% throttle.

Keep in mind this is only the first stage of a 3 stage launch vehicle. The 2 upper stages together would almost be the height of this first one. Kinda puts in perspective how small these little green dudes really are compared to us. Just figured Id share =P

There seems to be problems with a single part with multiple stack nodes connected to huge weights.

The engine is amazing, but a couple thoughts:

-The resolution of the textures seems too high for the (comparatively) low resolution world of KSP, 2048x2048 texture maps is overkill for a game where you spend most of your time zoomed out, and almost 50mb of textures for 1 part is a little much for a game that loads every byte of that into memory

-Setting a minimumThrust means you can't shut down the engine by killing the throttle, you have to click on the engine and shut it down manually, is that what you were going for?

-The engine is way too light, it weighs 8.4 tons but puts out 6773kN of thrust, whereas the Mainsail weighs 6 tons and puts out 1500kN of thrust, might want to think about making it heavier to be more inline with other engines

Yea...not sure if its a KSP or Unity issue. I had some luck with adding box colliders where each node is just inside the mesh collider of tank, but it didn't seem to help much with this set up....just to big for KSP =)

I should also add in the screenshot the tank has about 2/3rds the fuel it should hold for being its size (and still close to 400 tons before engines), and can run it like this strait up and get Kerbin escape.

The engine is amazing, but a couple thoughts:

-The resolution of the textures seems too high for the (comparatively) low resolution world of KSP, 2048x2048 texture maps is overkill for a game where you spend most of your time zoomed out, and almost 50mb of textures for 1 part is a little much for a game that loads every byte of that into memory

-Setting a minimumThrust means you can't shut down the engine by killing the throttle, you have to click on the engine and shut it down manually, is that what you were going for?

-The engine is way too light, it weighs 8.4 tons but puts out 6773kN of thrust, whereas the Mainsail weighs 6 tons and puts out 1500kN of thrust, might want to think about making it heavier to be more inline with other engines

-you're right, it is higher than what should normally be used. However since this is a high detail version, I am breaking the rules. You can still use the old version which has 1024 textures.

-yes, because the real one can't be throttled at all.

-8 tonnes is what it actually weighs, I am going for 1:1 realism not balanced gameplay. You can always change this yourself.

This engine fits so nicely into my latest project:

kaxl.jpg

This is scaled down to 5m in game though, but the model is built as a 10m full scale.

The v1.0 of the engine did horrible things to my computer when I started moving things around with more than one on the tank(full stop for up to 10-15 seconds), the v1.2 seems much better in that regard.

-

Kolbjørn

I can toss together my current version(did put the systems tunnels on it and made a USA version of the texture) if it's wanted. At 64% it fits nicely on the bottom of the Apollo Mission Pack rocket, though the texture of that Saturn V is a bit darker than mine.

I love this engine! Not only do I love the detail and attention to historical accuracy, I also love that you left off the usual big disc that most KSP engines are mounted to. That damn disc causes problems whenever I get creative with engine placement.

Would you mind if I rescaled the engine to fit smaller vehicles, and shared the rescaled cfg file with a link to this thread? I think this engine will be perfect for a series of space shuttles I want to share with people.

-you're right, it is higher than what should normally be used. Since this is a high detail version, I am breaking the rules. You can still use the old version which has 1024 textures.

Even the 'light' version is 25 megs. I love this engine, but this 32-bit nonsense means every mb counts, and considering that these engines are typically used on very large rockets to begin with, I can't justify such a hit to performance(despite their purdiness).

I placed two of these on a rocket that was delivering a vehicle with an ISA MapSat dish, and my FPS count was horrendous.

As an aside, Squad really needs to switch to 64-bit before adding any more features. I have an all-stock game folder with Universe Replacer and MapSat as my only mods, and even this game crashes continuously. If high-resolution body/skybox textures are too much for KSP to handle, this may be indicative of a problem, particularly given that this a game that is supposed to be mod-able.

I spend almost as much time purging mods and waiting at load screens as I do actually playing. A 25mb engine should be a problem, but unfortunately it is.

Excellent work regardless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've had this beauty for a while--I wish that KSP didn't have it's hard memory limit, I'd love to use the higher texture version.

I don't see how much higher res this can get, it looks fantastic already. Playing KSP on max details, 1440p and max AA, engine looks by far the most detailed of all.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.