How to eject stages when they are empty?

Is there a way I can manipulate or configure an "Action Group" to remove a stage once its fuel reserve has been used up? An example of this would be to have a fuel tank detach on its own by triggering the next stage or a specific stage.

I'm a little unsure as to how action groups work or what their purpose is but I will continue to look into it, if anything this would help anyone looking for a similar answer. Thanks

Pressing spacebar advances your staging list. You eject/drop stuff by using decouplers/separators and stick them in the stage list where you want them to drop.

Action groups are things you can add rather than having to right-click or toggle things manually, or you can group several things on the same button, buttons 0-9 use their corresponding number under the action groups list. Can be used for anything between toggling brakes/steering on rover to lights, landing gear, engines or docking ports. A lot of stuff can be put in there, you can check what by going into action groups and left clicking an item on your craft.

You could use action groups for staging and engines, but generally it's a lot faster and easier to just manipulate the staging list and press spacebar.

Edit: Manipulate your staging list by dragging from one stage to another, or moving whole stage sequences around.

If you do not have mechjeb, then pressing space will advance to the next stage. Therefore, it is imperative you setup your stages correctly when you build the rocket.

If you want to separate from the spent fuel stage you can either instal retro SRB's to the waste stage or briefly throttle up with your now waste-stage-less rocket.

Johnno touched on this. In a limited way, a solution for you might be to combine "staging" into one stage event. As an example: you have one tank empty (from its engine depleting that fuel). You want to decouple the tank AND fire the next engine at the same time. You would drag the decouple icon into the same stage bracket which contains the icon for the next engine which you want to fire, instead of leaving them in separately numbered staging brackets. You may do this in the editor (VAB for example) or on the launchpad.

Hey Wolf, welcome to the forum.

Just like people above me said, use the space-bar.

I am not sure if I am answering your question, but if it is the simple dumping of spent fuel tanks you want to do, then yes, pressing space will advance you to the next stage. You COULD use action groups, but I would recommend using that for something else as the numbers may get confusing (if you have a few action groups set up doing different things) whereas you have just one button, the space-bar assigned for that already.

Then it is all a matter of setting up your staging correctly. An easy way to determine what does what and when, is when you hover your mouse over the decoupler or engine, the game with high-light it on the right (where the stages are).

But yes, you could use the numbers for that but I wouldnt recommend it.........then again, maybe it's just a personal preference.

• 1 year later...
Is there a way I can manipulate or configure an "Action Group" to remove a stage once its fuel reserve has been used up? An example of this would be to have a fuel tank detach on its own by triggering the next stage or a specific stage.

I'm a little unsure as to how action groups work or what their purpose is but I will continue to look into it, if anything this would help anyone looking for a similar answer. Thanks

In the stock game, I do not believe you can do this. If you are interested in mods, there is one called "kOS". You can use it to make a little program that will do what you are trying.

In the stock game, I do not believe you can do this. If you are interested in mods, there is one called "kOS". You can use it to make a little program that will do what you are trying.

Please look at the last posting date before you post. This question was answered a year ago, and you are not helping anybody. If you're unaware, posting in old threads is called "necroposting" and is generally frowned upon unless you have something important to add.

We've been seeing quite a few necros lately, haven't we? I'd suggest adding it to the stuff people should read first, but it's probably already there, and it's the people who DON'T read those that generally cause problems.

Please look at the last posting date before you post. This question was answered a year ago, and you are not helping anybody. If you're unaware, posting in old threads is called "necroposting" and is generally frowned upon unless you have something important to add.

Be nice, and let the moderators handle it.