More useful Kerbals

We know Kerbals are masters at fixing broken tires on rovers. Why not make them good at fixing other things like crashed rockets.

This could be tied into career mode as you would need to train up a Kerbal with skill in repair and then make it take so many hours/days in order to fix whatever.

Maybe have it cost something for the repairs or have it as a repair kit you have to add to the rocket itself. Or maybe they could salvage what they can from the crash and attempt to fix the rocket.

If they fail, then it could necessitate a rescue mission be planned.

They're planning, as far as I'm aware, to have tasks for kerbonauts including but not necessarily limited to doing science, repairing things with at least one toolbox part(not sure what all you'll be able to repair), collect and/or examine samples...I guess rocks and stuff on the ground, strut parts together using a strut gun, float about freely between parts of, say, a space station using hatches and things, remove their helmets regardless of where they might be and someday you'll be able to train your kerbonauts to be better at doing some tasks.

They mentioned the crew training thing a long while ago so their goals might've changed on how that should work but I remember there being mention of kerbonauts being trained to do certain menial tasks or maneuvers on their own, though not as good as if you'd done it yourself.

I'm sure they've got more EVA/IVA tasks in mind, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what's up. Either way, the more EVA/IVA activities they wind up adding, the happier I'll be. I"d even like to use my kerbonauts(either manually or autonomously via crew training) to clean solar panels and things and perform general maintenance to increase or maintain performance on various parts(batteries, solar panels, engines, etc...). Would just be fun, I think and if they had crew training for maintenance, those that find such things monotonous wouldn't necessarily have to worry about it as much. On top of that, wear and tear reducing performance or efficiency of certain parts isn't necessarily random failures, just reduced efficiency necessitating maintenance. Just something to fill out game time and add another layer to crew skills. I'd love it, at least >.>

I hope they add something like "spare parts depot".For example,you punch off solar panel.You go to depot,take a new panel,fix it into a place and tada!.Or same with batteries,radioisotopic generators and so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.