[0.21.1] Docking Strut 1.0.1.0

JDP

Since ActiveStruts has been more or less abandoned, here's an update of DockingStrut for KSP 1.0:

Download DockingStrut 1.0.1.0 for KSP 1.0

It compiled just fine against 1.0. No errors, no warnings. Let's hope there are no sneaky hidden bugs :)

Any guide on how this works, or screenshots or something?

Does it play nice with Kerbal Joint reinforcement?

Its real simple Krakenfour, you just place strut pieces on your craft (they look like the stock ones). Then in flight mode you can right click one, then another to link them. I doubt KJR would have any effect on them, just because they have a high tolerance already, like the stock struts.

Its real simple Krakenfour, you just place strut pieces on your craft (they look like the stock ones). Then in flight mode you can right click one, then another to link them. I doubt KJR would have any effect on them, just because they have a high tolerance already, like the stock struts.

This is perfect.

I know that KAS has it, but soon will require both KIS and KAS... and for just wanting docking struts, seems a bit overkill ;)

You do realize that KIS is the same thing as what KAS used to be, just with improved functionality and KAS is being turned into a simple part extension. As in KIS provides all the grabing and placing and such but none of the added pipes and winches and such, and KAS will just have a bunch of parts (the pipes and winches) and they are developed by the same people.

@Akira_R that actually illustrates my point more. KAS (0.90) has items you can place, like stuts connectors, pipes, etc like you said. All this takes disk space and ram to run. Now (soon) many features will be moved to KIS and more features added (such as wrenches, drills, etc)... and again this takes more disk space and ram, however, to get the struts that will still be in KAS (yet more disk space and ram).

This is why I am saying having to install KIS and KAS, just to get struts is overkill. For clarification I don't need/want to be able to remove/add the connectors... just able to connect them in space. As for my idea of needing EVA+Engineer, that was just for creating the connection and not placing the connectors (I can do that in the VAB/SPH).

@Akira_R that actually illustrates my point more. KAS (0.90) has items you can place, like stuts connectors, pipes, etc like you said. All this takes disk space and ram to run. Now (soon) many features will be moved to KIS and more features added (such as wrenches, drills, etc)... and again this takes more disk space and ram, however, to get the struts that will still be in KAS (yet more disk space and ram).

This is why I am saying having to install KIS and KAS, just to get struts is overkill. For clarification I don't need/want to be able to remove/add the connectors... just able to connect them in space. As for my idea of needing EVA+Engineer, that was just for creating the connection and not placing the connectors (I can do that in the VAB/SPH).

You do know you don't have to keep all the parts from a mod? If you're that hard up for space just delete the parts you don't want to use and keep the EVA struts from KIS/KAS. I like docking struts as it stands. No EVA needed.

Of course, even though no EVA is required, you can still have a Kerbal go EVA every time you want to makea connection, if it makes you feel any better.

Since ActiveStruts has been more or less abandoned, here's an update of DockingStrut for KSP 1.0:

Download DockingStrut 1.0.1.0 for KSP 1.0

It compiled just fine against 1.0. No errors, no warnings. Let's hope there are no sneaky hidden bugs :)

Can someone please upload that to another site? I get a "isn't sharing anything" error.

• 10 months later...

Fixed for KSP 1.0.5 for those still using this.
Download from GitHub here.
Source/changes also on Github.

Update: The version Above so far also works in KSP 1.1 Pre-Release versions. But it is not persisting the link status of the strut and seems to break quite easily.
I'll add this to my list.

Edited by JPLRepo

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2016 at 1:05 PM, JPLRepo said:

Fixed for KSP 1.0.5 for those still using this.
Download from GitHub here.
Source/changes also on Github.

Update: The version Above so far also works in KSP 1.1 Pre-Release versions. But it is not persisting the link status of the strut and seems to break quite easily.
I'll add this to my list.

Thank you for your work! Can you update this mod for 1.2.2 please?

EDIT: Sorry for replying on a old thread, but I went to the GitHub download page, and found that the v1.2 commit version works with 1.2.2. Thanks again!

Edited by AmethystZhou

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.