[0.21.1] Docking Strut 1.0.1.0

JDP

I'm pretty sure we can quickly write up a ModuleManager + ModuleManagerExtensions config that quickly checks every part and module and everywhere it finds externalToEVAOnly = true it sets it to false.

Is that an idea?

To be honest? no, not really. I don't like mods relying on other mods. It's bad enough to watch a mod stop working when an author loses interest. It just makes it worse when a mod stops working because a different mod's author loses interest.

How about we just leave the functionality as is. And the people that want to EVA to connect struts can go ahead and EVA before they do it. How hard is that? How is it in any way different? No extra coding required by the author. No extra effort for those that don't want to do it that way. And wow, if you want to EVA to do it, it's effectively exactly the same!

All my stations thank you profusely.Seconded. Or make it an option and make everyone happy. Except for those people who think their way is the only legitimate way to play. Can't make everyone happy I guess.
No thanks. I prefer it the way it is. There's nothing stopping people from EVAing Kerbals if they want to pretend that it has to be done by EVA.
Whoa easy there guys... I didn't say that EVERYONE would be happy about that and I doubt he would ever remove an option to do this without EVA... I just wanted to have an OPTION to do this via EVA... so chill out... I think it would be nice to have an option to do this by EVA for real than to have to pretend anything...

Either way it's still pretend. So why limit MY game play by how YOU want to pretend? If it's an option, fine, just don't make it a mandatory way to use the mod.

One of us wants to add a feature that gives Kerbals a reason to be aboard - the other does not. Which one is "limiting" the game?

One of us wants to actually perform the task, the other wants it to happen all on its own. Who is "pretending", again?

I honestly do understand where you are coming from - perhaps if we were both playing Unmanned Space Program, I could even agree.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have this working in .22? I'm fairly knew to KSP but I've tried installing it every way I know how (except placing it in squad folder, which I'm about to try...) and the struts don't show up in the VAB. Tried in sandbox and career... I'm trying to build my first space station in career and this would be immensely helpful as I don't have the clamp o tron sr yet... Guess I'll use quantum struts until I figure it out, but I like the Idea of this much better.

Thanks!

Does anyone have this working in .22? I'm fairly knew to KSP but I've tried installing it every way I know how (except placing it in squad folder, which I'm about to try...) and the struts don't show up in the VAB. Tried in sandbox and career... I'm trying to build my first space station in career and this would be immensely helpful as I don't have the clamp o tron sr yet... Guess I'll use quantum struts until I figure it out, but I like the Idea of this much better.

Thanks!

They work great in .22, I use them all the time.

There is ONLY ONE way to install mods in .22, copy to the GameData folder. It should look like this, C:\"Whatever your KSP .22 Dir is"\GameData\DockingStrut\DockingStrut.dll.

Hope that helps.

Careful quick loading when using them though. I have a ship that just explodes now if I quick load it. I saved it while I had a strut set to link but not linked and I think that was the problem.

do you know how to edit the save file? it's plain text so it's not hard.

find the strut part and see if the module for it has any kind of saved state. do not delete the part or the craft will not load at all. (technically possible if you know what you're doing)

• 5 months later...
Since Spaceport is down now: could anyone upload the plugin for me?

I have the source but suppose there is a part in addition to the plugin, no?

I wished they would have kept a readonly version of the site live for a while. Things like this are painful.

In the "spaceport going offline today" thread in The Daily Kerbal, they said they've backed everything up. Rowsdower seemed to be implying that mod authors could get a copy of their mod if they realized they hadn't backed it up themselves, but I'm not sure about members of the public ... could be bad if the author is MIA for whatever reason.

Yep those are the two problems:

1. not all mod authors are still active
  2. even if they are it wastes time of the mod author and SQUAD who could both be doing something useful instead

I see that they want to force us to use Curse and therefore shut down spaceport completely and immediately. But since they couldn’t migrate all mods to Curse themselves (it’s the authors IP after all) they created a yet to be fully explored damage.

Anyhow, I still hope that someone out there has the mod lying around and can help me out :)

Since Spaceport is down now: could anyone upload the plugin for me?

I have the source but suppose there is a part in addition to the plugin, no?

Unfortunately, JDP's absence is compounded by the following statement in his first post:

This plugin is free to use and modify as long as the original author is credited.

This plugin, and derivatives thereof, may only be hosted on kerbalspaceprogram.com.)

And so even though you can freely use / modify his code, you aren't permitted to re-upload it anywhere except via a (now-defunct) website.

Your best bet is to hope someone decides to write a new version of the plugin from scratch and publish it under a less restrictive licence / set of conditions.

I fortunately downloaded it a couple weeks ago. Now that the spaceport is down, I'll make double backups of the zip file. :) I hope someone decides to do a very similar mod in the future. This one still works, but it uses the old file structure, and I figured out how to mod the part.cfg file to add it to the advanced construction node of the tech tree. At some point though, I expect that a future update will irrevocably break it. This mod is too valuable to me for structural integrity of anything assembled in space.

I'd be happy to give anyone a copy, as long as it doesn't break any distribution rules. Does giving a copy of it to someone else violate "This plugin, and derivatives thereof, may only be hosted on kerbalspaceprogram.com."?

There is a specific part.cfg file for this, but the actual model is just the stock one. Just a single attachment point tho. You have to connect them after you've at least hit the launchpad.

How is quantum struts? Is it similar to this one?

I'd be happy to give anyone a copy, as long as it doesn't break any distribution rules. Does giving a copy of it to someone else violate "This plugin, and derivatives thereof, may only be hosted on kerbalspaceprogram.com."?

?

The thing is the source code doesn't have such a restriction, it doesn't say anything about redistribution:

This code is free to use and modify as long as the original author is credited.

https://github.com/JDPKSP/DockingStrut/blob/master/ModuleDockingStrut.cs

One could argue that - as long as you just use the source and not the original dll from spaceport - this sentence is the only license. I did a recompile against 0.23.5 but since it doesn't explicitly allow redistribution I'm not sure if I can share it here.

It would not make any sense if you were allowed to use and modify the code, but were not allowed to redistribute the compiled mod - but still had to credit the original author - for yourself only - because noone else would ever see it ... :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.