[0.21.1] Docking Strut 1.0.1.0

JDP

philly_idle: exactly as you initially wrote, no issue if you just mod it for yourself. But sharing would be a violation, anyplace but "kerbalspaceprogram.com" where you upload the original or derivative mods. Even if you were sending by e-mail, as it would be "hosted" on the mail server. Even if you were allowing others to download directly from your own PC (as it would then become the host).

I agree the original author citation requirement would not make sense if one is only allowed to keep any derivative work for themselves. But the author wanted derivative works to also be allowed, hosted only on "kerbalspaceprogram.com".

Anyway, that second sentence in the license "...may only be hosted on kerbalspaceprogram.com" may have to be read differently. When the mod was published, Spaceport was the only official download site for KSP mods. Then, it may be implied the author's intention was to always keep his mod only with the official download site. What if Squad changed name and registration domain for Spaceport? All contents would have remained with the site, but still that site would not be named as required in that sentence.

Now, there is a new official download site, supported by Squad. Could be implied that the author's intention would be to have his mod available there?

I am not taking a conclusion now, and probably this will in the end be the matter of Squad's legal staff. In case the above was considered an acceptable interpretation, there could be the possibility to migrate this mod from Spaceport's archived data to curseforge.

philly_idle: exactly as you initially wrote, no issue if you just mod it for yourself. But sharing would be a violation, anyplace but "kerbalspaceprogram.com" where you upload the original or derivative mods. Even if you were sending by e-mail, as it would be "hosted" on the mail server. Even if you were allowing others to download directly from your own PC (as it would then become the host).

I agree the original author citation requirement would not make sense if one is only allowed to keep any derivative work for themselves. But the author wanted derivative works to also be allowed, hosted only on "kerbalspaceprogram.com".

Anyway, that second sentence in the license "...may only be hosted on kerbalspaceprogram.com" may have to be read differently. When the mod was published, Spaceport was the only official download site for KSP mods. Then, it may be implied the author's intention was to always keep his mod only with the official download site. What if Squad changed name and registration domain for Spaceport? All contents would have remained with the site, but still that site would not be named as required in that sentence.

Now, there is a new official download site, supported by Squad. Could be implied that the author's intention would be to have his mod available there?

I am not taking a conclusion now, and probably this will in the end be the matter of Squad's legal staff. In case the above was considered an acceptable interpretation, there could be the possibility to migrate this mod from Spaceport's archived data to curseforge.

All of this is probably a good argument for choosing an existing licensing model such as Creative Commons, or others.

When non-lawyers try to phrase their own license, confusion abounds.

As to the question of this mod and its license, be careful about doing anything that could be interepreted by Squad or their agents as opening Squad up to liability.

I probably should comment on this, as I got in touch with JDP (the author) a few weeks ago (pre-spaceport shutdown) about adapting Docking Struts for use with Infernal Robotics, and raised this hosting issue with him. Here's his response:

Seing as you'll have to completely start from scratch if you want to make a plugin comparable to docking struts, I wouldn't see that as derivative of my plugin, and therefore not covered by the original licence. And even if it where, I hereby explicitely allow hosting elsewhere.

Now whether this is permission just for myself or for everyone I don't know.

I probably should comment on this, as I got in touch with JDP (the author) a few weeks ago (pre-spaceport shutdown) about adapting Docking Struts for use with Infernal Robotics, and raised this hosting issue with him. Here's his response:

Now whether this is permission just for myself or for everyone I don't know.

I think that's probably good enough to blanket cover everyone but it would be nice if he posted it publicly to avoid problems later down the road.

I just PM'd JDP about this issue, hopefully he allows us to re-upload it somewhere.

Same, something public please.

I'd like to state that I'm working with Zodius on a major rewrite (actually I started from scratch only looking at JDP's code) adding many features.

So if anyone is considering doing something like that too I suggest getting in touch with me to avoid having the same work done twice.

Hi all, as a responce to philly_idle I've just removed the spaceport provision from the license in the OP. Now you should be able to do whatever you like with the original code.

Hi all, as a responce to philly_idle I've just removed the spaceport provision from the license in the OP. Now you should be able to do whatever you like with the original code.

Much appreciated, JDP. I'm sure the community will take good care of it :)

Thanks JDP! Hope things are well with you.

Thank you JDP, we really appreciate it! Great to see you're still around here!

Download Docking Strut

This is the original version, recompiled for 0.23.5. No changes were made to the source code. Tech tree integration has been added to the cfg. All credit goes to JDP for making this awesome plugin!

Edited by philly_idle

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to Install the Docking strut yesterday but for the life of me I can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong? I thought maybe I needed to purchase it in R&D but I can't find it? Am I too low in the tech tree? I ended up using normal struts but I have brought a trunk full of KMS strut connectors with me in case I need to stop a wobbly vessel.

Ahhh that would explain why it doesn't work, I haven't tried in Sandbox. If I want it sooner I'll have to modify the parts.ini file to bring it down a few tech levels. I sort of feel that it is something that would be achievable by less advanced Kerbals. :) Thanks for the reply.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@philly_idle thanks for compiling against 1.0.2! Since KAS is taking awhile to be updated because of the shift to KIS/KAS I was looking for alternative strutting.

Docking Struts is perfect for what it does, simple, small, and to the point! I see JDP has released the source freely, and this has gotten me thinking of how cool would it be to modify it to an EVA activity + Engineer? (to give them more uses, but all optional for people that don't want that)

@philly_idle thanks for compiling against 1.0.2! Since KAS is taking awhile to be updated because of the shift to KIS/KAS I was looking for alternative strutting.

Docking Struts is perfect for what it does, simple, small, and to the point! I see JDP has released the source freely, and this has gotten me thinking of how cool would it be to modify it to an EVA activity + Engineer? (to give them more uses, but all optional for people that don't want that)

The KAS version already requires EVA and works fine in 1.0.2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.