Just nosedived into the ocean at 3000ms and survived.

gompasta

After messing around with the lazor afterburners, i threw my craft into a high suborbital flight. After re-entering the atmosphere, i tried to pull up, but the wings were torn off like paper. I was left with only the cockpit section, seconds from impact. I was ready to hit the revert flight button (Im not playing legit, just messing around), and the ship hit the water at 3kms. It managed to dive quite a depth underwater before resurfacing. I am assuming it was FAR that caused this, but i am surprised the ship didn't simply melt on contact.

I did not manage to get a picture of the wings breaking, but i managed to snap a quick pic of it underwater.

j696us.jpg

9lkidl.jpg

This was the full ship, Miyafuji 1

wf5wn9.jpg

Anything surprising happened to anyone else?

That's weird, but I have had similar things happen to me. I had a lander impact the Mün's surface at ~200m/s and it just bounced and flew off with no damage.

I've only had it happen with Mod-added parts that were, for whatever reason, completely invulnerable to impact damage. The old Bigtrak rover and its Cuttlefish lander for example.

I screwed up the setup on the Cuttlefish, or staging it, or something, and lost the engine. So I bailed the rover out and went down with just the rover, just for fun. I bounced, skidded, tumbled, and rolled my way to a stop on the Munar surface, having lost most of the parts attached to the outside of the rover. I went on to deliberately crashing the still-closed lander into the surface in a power dive. Did the same thing on Kerbin right off the launch pad. Tried crashing it into the water. Literally nothing would destroy those bigtrak parts.

Ran into this more recently with the super-large 'caterpillar tracks' module on a design one of my friends was having trouble with. I got it off the ground, but it didn't have enough lift OR thrust to fly, so it ended up in the water. Everything died EXCEPT the track module.

Try crashing that same plane into the ground, I'll bet the same bit of it survives.

Edited by Tiron

This happened to me before, too, when I was messing around with dragless parts and hit the ocean at quite a speed. I was expecting it to get destroyed when it hit the water, but it kept going down through the ocean floor. The water really slows things down, but it got all the way down to 4 km below sea level.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.