[WIP] Sum Dum Heavy Industries Service Module System (Stockalike)

sumghai

Indeed - that's the precise reason I'm hosting my main repo and download on GitHub, for people to freely compare latest stable releases with dev WIPs.

I personally have nothing but good things to say about also hosting my official releases on CurseForge, but I simply do the latter as a matter of (excuse the pun) courtesy for the official add-on repository.

Like I said some time ago; this is why the SDHI and the FUSTEK mods are my favorites.

ok well that answers that although Github doesn't seem to want to let me on it for some reason....

what i mean by that, i mean by whenever i press the link, it would open a new tab and say page not available ( i use google chrome)

There's something a little odd about the way the forums are encoding HTTPS links - I've fixed them, so try again now.

Progress Report, 11 July 2014

Around thirty-odd drop tests later, I've devised what I feel is a good-enough implementation of the self-inflating flotation collar from dtobi's Klockheed Martian Special Parts pack:

ksp_sdhi_sms_heatshield_float_final_11_july_2014_by_sumghai-d7q61hx.png

Fig 21 - SDHI Heat Shield Floatation Collar - Final

It was very difficult finding the right set of buoyancy values that would allow a Mk 1-2 Pod to sit comfortably above the waterline, and even then, there were some quirks peculiarities:

- Once deployed, the collar causes the pod to shake with increasing amplitude and frequency

- The buoyacy setting is not always reliable, even across tests with the exact same craft; sometimes values as low as 10 are sufficient to keep the pod above the waterline, while at other times buoyancy settings as high as 150~200 would still only leave the pod half-submerged

- Half-submergence also occurs at certain combinations of landing velocities (speed and angle).

Originally, I also wanted to add righting balls to the docking ports, which were used on the Apollo spacecraft to flip the capsule upright in the event they land in the water upside down. However, I have some doubts / concerns:

- On the Apollo spacecraft, in the many cases where the capsule was tipped over and required the righting balls, the latter would inflate and lift the apex (top) of the pod out of the water, where gravity would cause the heavier base of the capsule to fall down and upright the crew compartment. In tests with standalone KM righting balls, the Mk 1-2 Pod apex would be lifted out of the water, but due to the position of the CoM on the Pod itself, gravity isn't sufficient to pull it back upright. (I found that I had to manually deflate the main floatation collar first, let the pod become half-submerged in the upright position, and re-inflate the collar hoping that the pod won't get flipped on its side all over again)

- Most of the time, the RealChutes-powered parachutes do a decent job of keeping the pod upright until splashdown anyway, although occassionally the KM floatation PartModule causes the inflated pod to suddenly jump up into the air from the waterline and land upside down.

For the most part, I'd say I've done as much I could for the floatation collar feature. Now I need to assess whether there's any value adding the righting balls.

Notes:

- As usual, these are on GitHub if you want to try them out before V2.0 is officially released

- Requires the plugin AND sounds from dtobi's Klockheed Martian Special Parts pack

So I did some drop tests in Booster Bay. From what I read in this thread the current GitHub release works as advertised.

Progress Report, 11 July 2014

- Once deployed, the collar causes the pod to shake with increasing amplitude and frequency

Noticed this too, it is a bit weird but it did not hinder recovering the craft or returning to the space center. Until current plugin is updated or a new one made I would go with this because it does add a nice feature. Water is weird in KSP anyway :confused:

I don't think adding the righting balls is needed. As you said the parachutes do a good job in keeping the capsule stable. I landed around 10 times and the collar was always enough to keep the capsule upright. You would have to be doing something crazy if the parachutes are not able to correct it (this was not a challenge!).

Anyway, I am liking the additions to the mod. Nice work Sumghai!

Water is weird in KSP anyway :confused:

What's particularly weird about it is that colliding with it is dangerous even at speeds which, when colliding with the ground, would earn you at best a reprimand.

Someone better versed in physics needs to look into why, because all of that "landing into the ocean" is far riskier than it has any right to be.

Progress Report, 18 July 2014

A few more things off the TODO list:

- Starwaster has been helping me out with a plugin that provides the animate-on-decouple PartModule needed for the Service Module Umbilical, and this has worked quite nicely. Note that this will require a separate plugin dependency that Starwaster himself would provide (depending on user demand, I may also consider packaging a copy of the DLL in my download).

- I've reconfigured the Fuel Cell feature so that it now uses TAC Life Support's generator system, since the combination of the stock generator PartModule and various decouplers were causing some GUI clutter.

The only thing left to do before I can release V2.0 is to wait for RealChutes 1.2 to come out, so that I can update the parachute definitions with the new PARACHUTE{} nodes.

Progress Report, 18 July 2014

A few more things off the TODO list:

- Starwaster has been helping me out with a plugin that provides the animate-on-decouple PartModule needed for the Service Module Umbilical, and this has worked quite nicely. Note that this will require a separate plugin dependency that Starwaster himself would provide (depending on user demand, I may also consider packaging a copy of the DLL in my download).

- I've reconfigured the Fuel Cell feature so that it now uses TAC Life Support's generator system, since the combination of the stock generator PartModule and various decouplers were causing some GUI clutter.

The only thing left to do before I can release V2.0 is to wait for RealChutes 1.2 to come out, so that I can update the parachute definitions with the new PARACHUTE{} nodes.

this may be a bit too early to ask but have you start working to balance out part costs for your parts yet? considering that 0.24 is now out

this may be a bit too early to ask but have you start working to balance out part costs for your parts yet? considering that 0.24 is now out

While I do try my best to cater for Career / Science mode players, I'm more of a Sandbox guy myself, so I would have no idea how to revise the part costs to be balanced.

That said, if someone could come up with suggestions for new costs, then that would be greatly appreciated.

While I do try my best to cater for Career / Science mode players, I'm more of a Sandbox guy myself, so I would have no idea how to revise the part costs to be balanced.

That said, if someone could come up with suggestions for new costs, then that would be greatly appreciated.

here's a start for anyone that wants to try...

A Start

EDIT: actually sumghai, looking over the prices for your parts, it looks balanced already compared to stock prices

Edited by Helix935

Just to let you know, I've been having some issues getting KSP to run since .24. I've been trying to update mods as they update, but still nothing works to get the game fully up and running. For the last 5 attempts, it seems to be hanging up on one of the SDHI parts, and I believe it's one of the parachute equipped docking collars. I've already deleted the SDHI folder from my GameData folder to see if that's an issue, but I'm thinking there might be an issue between your parts and the new RealChute stuff. If you need any info, I'd be glad to send you whatever you need to see what's going on.

BTW, I'm still running x86 mode, since I don't have enough physical memory to enjoy the benefits of x64.

Just to let you know, I've been having some issues getting KSP to run since .24. I've been trying to update mods as they update, but still nothing works to get the game fully up and running. For the last 5 attempts, it seems to be hanging up on one of the SDHI parts, and I believe it's one of the parachute equipped docking collars. I've already deleted the SDHI folder from my GameData folder to see if that's an issue, but I'm thinking there might be an issue between your parts and the new RealChute stuff. If you need any info, I'd be glad to send you whatever you need to see what's going on.

BTW, I'm still running x86 mode, since I don't have enough physical memory to enjoy the benefits of x64.

That's because RealChute 1.2 (which only just came out today) uses the new PARACHUTE{} node system, which SDHI SMS V1.9 obviously doesn't support, retroactively or otherwise :P

stupid_chris already mentioned this to me one month ago, but I simply hadn't had the opportunity to test RC 1.2 and 0.24 x64 until five minutes ago.

Progress Report, 19 July 2014

Testing V2.0 on KSP 0.24 x64-bit with selected dependencies

- ModuleManager: All patches working fine

- RealChutes 1.2: Updated SDHI docking ports to use new PARACHUTE{} node setup; parachute canopies did not appear but the pod made safe landing (i.e. invisible parachutes); will need to look into this further to see if I've missed something somewhere

- Firespitter 0.24 special release: All animations working as expected

- Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin: Umbilical animation plays on decoupling; decoupler suffers from zero-force bug present in stock decouplers (since the plugin basically extends the stock behaviour)

- Klockheed Martian Inflatables: Instantly crashes game when entering VAB/SPH from Space Center; all tests had to be performed without the floatation collar

- TAC Life Support: Untested; 0.9 prerelease is available, but I have enough on my plate to deal with as it is

Edited by sumghai

No worries man, just letting you know, and offering what little help I can. I realize real chutes is new, I was more or less trying to confirm that I had the right connection or if I was way off base. Keep doing what your doing, man, I'm not in the "OMG I need it right NOW" crowd. The new update has given me a lull in KSP so that I can spend some time with the games I splurged on during the steam sale. :)

Keep up the good work man, I'd rather see you put out a good build than slap a bandaid on something and throw updates out every couple of days.

That's because RealChute 1.2 (which only just came out today) uses the new PARACHUTE{} node system, which SDHI SMS V1.9 obviously doesn't support, retroactively or otherwise :P

stupid_chris already mentioned this to me one month ago, but I simply hadn't had the opportunity to test RC 1.2 and 0.24 x64 until five minutes ago.

Progress Report, 19 July 2014

Testing V2.0 on KSP 0.24 x64-bit with selected dependencies

- ModuleManager: All patches working fine

- RealChutes 1.2: Updated SDHI docking ports to use new PARACHUTE{} node setup; parachute canopies did not appear but the pod made safe landing (i.e. invisible parachutes); will need to look into this further to see if I've missed something somewhere

- Firespitter 0.24 special release: All animations working as expected

- Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin: Umbilical animation plays on decoupling; decoupler suffers from zero-force bug present in stock decouplers (since the plugin basically extends the stock behaviour)

- Klockheed Martian Inflatables: Instantly crashes game when entering VAB/SPH from Space Center; all tests had to be performed without the floatation collar

- TAC Life Support: Untested; 0.9 prerelease is available, but I have enough on my plate to deal with as it is

Can't wait to see what the latest update brings. I'm really missing this pack, but I'm very willing to wait for a good and stable release.

Keep up the good work, sumghai!

(Quick) Progress Report, 21 July 2014

Invisible parachute bug with SDHI Paradocks + RealChute 1.2.1 + KSP 0.24

stupid_chris suspects that this may be on RealChute's end of the equation - essentially, any parachute configuration that is not procedural (e.g. SDHI) will not properly detect / rebuild the parachute transforms / animations, resulting in the parachutes not appearing to be deployed (although the actual parachute slow-down-to-land functionality is still present). He's looking into this problem in further detail, so do please be considerate and give the both of us plenty of time and breathing room to figure things out.

We can say with absolute confidence and certainty that a definitive fix will be out...When It's Doneâ„¢.

Where can I get the latest dev version, if available? The dropbox link is empty...
I would appreciate it if everyone would remember to read things first (and check the GitHub repo for reported issues) before pestering me with issues that have already been acknowledged.

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/

Here you go.

Im having a pretty big issue with this mod at the moment. During the loading screen, the game refuses to load the combined parachute + docking ports. The progress on the loading screen simply stops dead, and waiting around for it to start again does nothing. Deleting them from the SDHI folder solves the problem, so it must be something with these parts. Im using the latest dev version of SDHI and the latest release of Realchute.

Im having a pretty big issue with this mod at the moment. During the loading screen, the game refuses to load the combined parachute + docking ports. The progress on the loading screen simply stops dead, and waiting around for it to start again does nothing. Deleting them from the SDHI folder solves the problem, so it must be something with these parts. Im using the latest dev version of SDHI and the latest release of Realchute.

Yes, it's a RealChute issue. Sumghai knows. Stupid Chris knows as well. It's gonna get fixed once Sumghai releases the next update...

For now, just add this to either part, replacing the existing modules (which has the same names).

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule
caseMass = 0.35
timer = 0
mustGoDown = true
cutSpeed = 0.5
spareChutes = 5
secondaryChute = true

// Main chute
PARACHUTE
{
material = Nylon
capName = mains_packing_bag
parachuteName = RC_triple_canopy
preDeploymentAnimation = RC_triple_chute_semi_deploy
deploymentAnimation = RC_triple_chute_full_deploy
preDeployedDiameter = 2.5
deployedDiameter = 50
minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 900
deploymentAlt = 700
cutAlt = -1
preDeploymentSpeed = 2
deploymentSpeed = 6
}

// Drogue chute
PARACHUTE
{
material = Kevlar
capName = cone
parachuteName = RC_canopy2
preDeploymentAnimation = RC_chute2_semi_deploy
deploymentAnimation = RC_chute2_full_deploy
preDeployedDiameter = 3
deployedDiameter = 6
minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 30000
deploymentAlt = 2500
cutAlt = 1000
preDeploymentSpeed = 1
deploymentSpeed = 3
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralChute
textureLibrary = RealChute
type = Cone
currentCase = Combo
currentCanopies = Main chute, Drogue chute
currentTypes = Main, Drogue

}

EFFECTS
{
rcpredeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_open
volume = 1
}
}

rcdeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_single
volume = 1
}
}

rccut
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
volume = 1
}
}

rcrepack
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
volume = 1
}
}
}

Yes, it's a RealChute issue. Sumghai knows. Stupid Chris knows as well. It's gonna get fixed once Sumghai releases the next update...

For now, just add this to either part, replacing the existing modules (which has the same names).

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule
caseMass = 0.35
timer = 0
mustGoDown = true
cutSpeed = 0.5
spareChutes = 5
secondaryChute = true

// Main chute
PARACHUTE
{
material = Nylon
capName = mains_packing_bag
parachuteName = RC_triple_canopy
preDeploymentAnimation = RC_triple_chute_semi_deploy
deploymentAnimation = RC_triple_chute_full_deploy
preDeployedDiameter = 2.5
deployedDiameter = 50
minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 900
deploymentAlt = 700
cutAlt = -1
preDeploymentSpeed = 2
deploymentSpeed = 6
}

// Drogue chute
PARACHUTE
{
material = Kevlar
capName = cone
parachuteName = RC_canopy2
preDeploymentAnimation = RC_chute2_semi_deploy
deploymentAnimation = RC_chute2_full_deploy
preDeployedDiameter = 3
deployedDiameter = 6
minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 30000
deploymentAlt = 2500
cutAlt = 1000
preDeploymentSpeed = 1
deploymentSpeed = 3
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralChute
textureLibrary = RealChute
type = Cone
currentCase = Combo
currentCanopies = Main chute, Drogue chute
currentTypes = Main, Drogue

}

EFFECTS
{
rcpredeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_open
volume = 1
}
}

rcdeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_single
volume = 1
}
}

rccut
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
volume = 1
}
}

rcrepack
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
volume = 1
}
}
}

Awesome! thanks for the quickfix snippet!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.