[WIP] Sum Dum Heavy Industries Service Module System (Stockalike)

sumghai

When are the SM fairing meant to be jettisoned? I did it during powered ascent and Boom! The fairings 'sploded. Is it Sum Dum Heavy Industries intent that they NOT be ejected while under acceleration?

You should only be jettisoning the side fairings once you've reached orbit.

Any chance we can get a version for the 1.25m pod?

Not planned - outside the focus of the add-on.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
wow I love this mod , had hours of fun with it , any chance of an update for 1.0 ??

I'm working on it, but the 1.0 update broke the Service Module fairings and Boost Protect Cover, and there's no easy, robust fix for those at the moment.

tell me how can i test if they are working properly and i can test them for ya, if you still need this kind of help

There's nothing you can do right now.

I'm waiting on a fix for the fairings / pod cover to work in stock aero.

I know you've said that you don't want to add more dependencies, but since it became a puzzle to make the parts work in 1.0.2 aerodynamics, wouldn't it be better to add far as a dependency now that it is updated?

Not all of care to use far and thats all you hear from alot is ( does this work in FAR ).

Edited by Mecripp2

Not all of use care to use far and thats all you hear from alot is ( does this work in FAR ).

this is why i suggested using FAR as a dependency, at least until stock aerodynamics is fixed:

I'm waiting on a fix for the fairings / pod cover to work in stock aero.

I know you've said that you don't want to add more dependencies, but since it became a puzzle to make the parts work in 1.0.2 aerodynamics, wouldn't it be better to add far as a dependency now that it is updated?
Not all of use care to use far and thats all you hear from alot is ( does this work in FAR ).
this is why i suggested using FAR as a dependency, at least until stock aerodynamics is fixed:

As much as I personally prefer to use FAR, I have no intention of alienating stock 1.0.x aero users by rushing a release that forces everyone to use FAR - if I'm going to release something, I want to do it right the first time around.

As much as I personally prefer to use FAR, I have no intention of alienating stock 1.0.x aero users by rushing a release that forces everyone to use FAR - if I'm going to release something, I want to do it right the first time around.

Too bad I can't give you any more rep points

Sorry to continue beating this dead horse but you couldn't say provide a secret download for those of us using FAR? I consider this an essential mod especially when using FAR so to not have this is really killing me.

If no I totally understand, I'll just stick to .90 until a solution is found and you shall hear no more whining from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively what all needs to be changed in order to get this functional in 1.o with nuFAR? If I were to release a MM 1.0 nuFAR compatibility patch would you be ok with that?

There is no "super dooper secret squirrel" version of SDHI SMS - just the WIP build on GitHub that anyone can freely download to try things out.

The WIP in its current state should work fine in FAR (since FAR uses voxels to determine drag occlusion). To get said WIP working for stock aero requires more than just a mere config edit - Starwaster is looking into writing a special plugin to allow the Service Module interstage fairings and the pod covers to properly use ModuleCargoBay for stock drag occlusion.

LOL I really can't believe the people that use FAR and can't write a CFG or edit there files to get it to work, I would have to ask why use it ? Or beg someone to do the work for you this just blows my mind.

Not sure if this is directed at me...

If it is you should know better as I have written MM cfgs for you before MeCripp.

That aside while I highly suggest any one that plays this game and likes to install mods should get to know the ins and outs of the cfg system and MM I can totally understand people not wanting to.

As for this I simply place a high value on my free time as I have very little of it and I don't want to spend a large portion of it writing cfgs. Plus I have yet to download 1.0 and investigate all of it's changes, and all of the changes made to the wide array of modes I use, at some point I will and I will probably spend a good week or so building and tweaking my install. But I would rather see the bulk of that work already done and have less to tweak.

So when it comes down to it, it's not that I am incapable, simply I am too lazy lol

Not sure if this is directed at me...

If it is you should know better as I have written MM cfgs for you before MeCripp.

That aside while I highly suggest any one that plays this game and likes to install mods should get to know the ins and outs of the cfg system and MM I can totally understand people not wanting to.

As for this I simply place a high value on my free time as I have very little of it and I don't want to spend a large portion of it writing cfgs. Plus I have yet to download 1.0 and investigate all of it's changes, and all of the changes made to the wide array of modes I use, at some point I will and I will probably spend a good week or so building and tweaking my install. But I would rather see the bulk of that work already done and have less to tweak.

So when it comes down to it, it's not that I am incapable, simply I am too lazy lol

Yes think it was for hotrockets much thanks and for trying to help me help someone else but that didn't work out.

EDIT- And all just love this great mod this modders give us much thanks to them :)

EDIT- And it really wasn't at you it's just gets old seen does this work with FAR or can you make this work with FAR or CKAN is broke or can you put this on CKAN lol sorry sumghai been along day didn't mean any hard feels to anyone all good will launch 10 kerbal and feel better.

Edited by Mecripp2

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unlocking this thread so that we can discuss the revamp here, without cluttering the release thread.

Progress Report, 7 April 2018

After quickly familiarizing myself with the latest features of KSP 1.4.2, I think it would be best to remake all the parts from the ground up, with updated stockalike aesthetics to match the new Mk1-3 command pod. This update would also be a clean break, so I won't strive for craft or savegame compatibility.

I'm currently debating these major changes:

• Deprecating the FusTek IACBM-compatible parachute-equipped docking port - This part was originally made for compatibility with my (constantly-backburnered) FusTek Station Parts pack, and I suspect it would be easier for players to just add a docking port adapter to their space stations anyway, just like how the real ISS uses different types of ports for docking of visiting spacecraft and berthing of station modules.

• Deprecating the Avionics Ring - This part was originally made for people who wanted to build their own "custom" Service Modules, while still using the SDHI Heat Shield, Aeroshell and LES. Looking back, I feel it's such a niche use case that it doesn't justify the trouble of trying to fix/maintain the part, especially with the shenanigans regarding different decoupling behaviours between the Avionics Ring and Service Module

• Change the standard docking port to the Clamp-O-Tron Jr - Apparently, this is now the smallest docking port that allows crew transfers, and if I switch over to this size, I can probably make the parachute ring a nice frustrum (truncated cone) with the same slope as the rest of the Mk1-3 Pod, instead of compensating for the bulkier standard Clamp-O-Tron with the current lumpy-looking abomination.

• Native Plugin for Inflatable Flotation Collar / Landing Airbag - After considering various third-party solutions, I think the best bet would be to work with @Starwaster to modify and natively integrate his SplashdownHandler plugin to fit SDHI SMS's specific needs. I'm also dropping the idea of spinning off SplashdownHandler as the basis of a standalone "inflatables" parts pack, to keep plugin development and maintenance focused on the bare essentials.

Thoughts, guys?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.