[WIP] Sum Dum Heavy Industries Service Module System (Stockalike)

sumghai

Yes indeed. This would be nice to have, but I'm not sure what to do in order to get it. Can someone tell me how to make this part from the code posted by Mihara?

Just save it into a file named whateveryouplease.cfg anywhere within GameData. As long as the SDHI parts are correctly installed, it will work and you will get two new parts -- the docking port with light and parachute, and the micro service module. The dV on that is very, very low, and you will want the tiny nuclear engine from RLA Stockalike pack to make best use of it.

Really does look very impressive and I am very excited about this. I downloaded it to see how it is going, and it looks great! The only problems I found were that the docking port with parachute doesn't have a parachute (excuse me if you haven't added it yet and it's just a place holder) and the decoupler between the service module and heatshield/pod doesn't activate with staging. You have to right-click etc.

Other than that, amazing work. It's something I've been looking for for a long time!

The only problems I found were that the docking port with parachute doesn't have a parachute (excuse me if you haven't added it yet and it's just a place holder)...

...After spending several days tuning a rocket based on these parts, and launching it at least thirty times, with numerous landings and launch aborts, not to mention the mini-version weld mentioned above, I am pretty sure there is a parachute in that docking port and it does work.

What, exactly, makes you think there isn't a parachute?

...The only problems I found were that the docking port with parachute doesn't have a parachute (excuse me if you haven't added it yet and it's just a place holder) and the decoupler between the service module and heatshield/pod doesn't activate with staging...

I had the same problems as you. The Clamp-o-tron and the parachute are "welded" together, so if you place the partfile anywhere besides the original directory (Gamedata/SDHI/Parts/SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron) then the chute will be unable to be found and won't be loaded. The second problem I solved by using action groups (I use 9), but I'm working on editing the partfile so that I can just use *space*.

Hope this helps.

for me there is also a bug i think is caused by the placement of the paradock prevents me from actually docking with the docking port to other stuff which forced me to perform an EVA in order to complete a crew delivery

Edit: although when i think about it it isn't really a bug but more of an unfortunate reality caused by the application of the part which to sum it up means that the placement prevents usage although the parachute works fine

Edited by Helix935

The only problems I found were that the docking port with parachute doesn't have a parachute (excuse me if you haven't added it yet and it's just a place holder)...
...After spending several days tuning a rocket based on these parts, and launching it at least thirty times, with numerous landings and launch aborts, not to mention the mini-version weld mentioned above, I am pretty sure there is a parachute in that docking port and it does work.

What, exactly, makes you think there isn't a parachute?

I can most certainly assure you that there *is* a working parachute in my variant Clamp-O-Tron, and it is most certainly *not* a placeholder.

and the decoupler between the service module and heatshield/pod doesn't activate with staging. You have to right-click etc.

Deliberate design intention - I disabled staging for the SM decoupler so that folks don't accidentally leave their Mk1-2 Pod stranded in orbit with no means of making a retro-burn.

You can also use action groups to trigger said decoupler.

I had the same problems as you. The Clamp-o-tron and the parachute are "welded" together, so if you place the partfile anywhere besides the original directory (Gamedata/SDHI/Parts/SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron) then the chute will be unable to be found and won't be loaded. The second problem I solved by using action groups (I use 9), but I'm working on editing the partfile so that I can just use *space*.

You really shouldn't be putting parts in places other than the hierarchy originally intended in the download. I use MODEL{} node references to insert a copy of SQUAD's default Clamp-O-Tron, and the CFG has a specific file URL to do that.

Also, both parachutes stage properly using the space bar.

for me there is also a bug i think is caused by the placement of the paradock prevents me from actually docking with the docking port to other stuff which forced me to perform an EVA in order to complete a crew delivery

Edit: although when i think about it it isn't really a bug but more of an unfortunate reality caused by the application of the part which to sum it up means that the placement prevents usage although the parachute works fine

I have had no problems with docking at all - check to see if you have installed the latest version correctly.

You really shouldn't be putting parts in places other than the hierarchy originally intended in the download. I use MODEL{} node references to insert a copy of SQUAD's default Clamp-O-Tron, and the CFG has a specific file URL to do that.

The only reason I put them in another directory is to consolidate some parts to the Squad folder that I consider to be so good as to be stock anyways. I was just trying to say that if you do put in a different directory, then there'll be some loading problems resulting in only the stock clamp-o-tron being loaded (as that directory stays the same) and the new part not being loaded (as that directory no longer matches the new one).

Also can't remember if I said this earlier, but I love this mod, the parts are top notch and have already been incorporated into many of my spacecraft! Keep up the awesome work! :)

The only reason I put them in another directory is to consolidate some parts to the Squad folder that I consider to be so good as to be stock anyways. I was just trying to say that if you do put in a different directory, then there'll be some loading problems resulting in only the stock clamp-o-tron being loaded (as that directory stays the same) and the new part not being loaded (as that directory no longer matches the new one).

I strongly recommend not putting mod parts into the SQUAD folder - like any other mods, my parts are specifically placed in its own SDHI folder to facilitate uninstallation / patching.

I strongly recommend not putting mod parts into the SQUAD folder - like any other mods, my parts are specifically placed in its own SDHI folder to facilitate uninstallation / patching.

I'm going to use those famous last words "I know what I'm doing." I do a lot of modding myself, and know the importance of backups. So I have two installations of KSP one with mods and one without. I don't forsee wanting to unistall this mod, and cycle through mods so quickly, its just easier to move it do a central directory, everything still intact. I'm not advocating that anyone do this, and was trying to help if someone mistakenly changed the directories. I know that if I somehow mess up the modded install, then all well, it was because I was mixing mods and stock, time to start anew.

Basically I'm trying to pay you a compliment and say that your work is really good. So good as I plan on keeping it "stock" until 0.22 when my modded install will (presumably) become outdated and I'll start all over again. :)

Progress Report, 9 October 2013

Modelling and texturing pretty much done, just need to do normal maps:

ksp_sdhi_paradock_iacbm_wip_9_oct_2013_by_sumghai-d6prc25.png

Fig 13 - (WIP) SDHI FusTek IACBM Parachute Variant (2)

Ultimately, I ended up with a variation on the Clamp-O-Tron parachute variant I made earlier, and imagined all the parachutes as flat-pack bundles. The drogues for the IACBM variant will also be pulled out by imaginary pilot parachutes, rather than pre-packed into their own mortars.

Also note the colored stripe that goes around the top of the casings - yellow for the Clamp-O-Tron variant and grey for the FusTek IACBM.

I did a few more changes to the config files, this time to the Heatshield to make it FAR friendly. Changes in bold.

PART
{
name = SDHI_2.5_Heatshield
module = Part
author = sumghai

mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1.25

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, [B]2[/B] [I]//Added Value[/I]
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, [B]2[/B] [I]//Added Value[/I]

While I didn't test the original files with FAR, I did remember that there was a similar issue with the Heatshield that came with Deadly Reentry where FAR wouldn't apply drag to the large heatshield because of the way the nodes were set up. To be safe I changed the node values to apply the same fix that was applied to the DR shield and in shallow entries I did slow down enough for the Parachutes to deploy pre-primed without ripping them off. Again this was tested on Kerbin only with only the Pod, Heatshield, and Para-dock parts on it, so land on other planets/configs at your own risk.

I think I'll also post your mod over at the FAR thread and see if anyone else can come up with ways to improve FAR compatablitity Config wise.

I did a few more changes to the config files, this time to the Heatshield to make it FAR friendly. Changes in bold.

-snip-

While I didn't test the original files with FAR, I did remember that there was a similar issue with the Heatshield that came with Deadly Reentry where FAR wouldn't apply drag to the large heatshield because of the way the nodes were set up. To be safe I changed the node values to apply the same fix that was applied to the DR shield and in shallow entries I did slow down enough for the Parachutes to deploy pre-primed without ripping them off. Again this was tested on Kerbin only with only the Pod, Heatshield, and Para-dock parts on it, so land on other planets/configs at your own risk.

That's interesting.

Is a node size of 2 mandatory for the part to work with FAR, or can I use smaller node sizes such as 0 (to further distinguish between the two very closely-located nodes)?

I think I'll also post your mod over at the FAR thread and see if anyone else can come up with ways to improve FAR compatablitity Config wise.

Might be a good idea.

I haven't really used FAR before, so if anyone has some good aerodynamic parameters for drag in fairings and shrouds, that'd be much appreciated. FAR configs for my SDHI parts might be best loaded via ModuleManager, though.

FAR will autogenerate those parameters; you don't have to. Basically, all stock drag parameters (for everything except intakes and parachutes) is ignored and replaced by FAR's own calculations.

There IS, however, one exception: if you want your parachute to be FAR compatible, you need to set stowed drag to 0 for it, as otherwise the single parachute will generate as much drag as the rest of the rocket, basically. So that should definitely be done with an MM config.

Alas, correct node size is mandatory--FAR applies extra drag based on open nodes, scaled by the size of the node. If the heatshield has a <size2 node, then not enough drag will be applied. It's a nice hack: estimate part radius by checking node size. Ferram's working on a new version of FAR that might obviate that necessity, but for now...

It's the same for Deadly Reentry--raycasting for shielding depends on node size, last I heard.

ETA: more on parachutes.

Edited by NathanKell

Alas, correct node size is mandatory--FAR applies extra drag based on open nodes, scaled by the size of the node. If the heatshield has a <size2 node, then not enough drag will be applied. It's a nice hack: estimate part radius by checking node size. Ferram's working on a new version of FAR that might obviate that necessity, but for now...

It's the same for Deadly Reentry--raycasting for shielding depends on node size, last I heard.

Got it - I'll go change the node sizes now, but that will have to wait for the official release (sometime this weekend or next)

Edited by sumghai

Progress Report, 11 October 2013

IACBM Parachute Variant is good to go:

ksp_sdhi_paradock_iacbm_final_11_oct_2013_by_sumghai-d6pz8sv.png

Fig 14 - SDHI FusTek IACBM Parachute Variant - Final Testing

I've updated the WIP download link in the first post of this thread, although at this point I don't really think it qualifies as a WIP anymore :)

Next Up: Documentation, brochures and official release

V1.0 released - see announcements thread for download link

1.0          12 October 2013
---------------------------

Features:
- Initial release
- New parts
- SDHI Mk1-2 Pod Boost Protective Cover
- Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port - Parachute version
- IACBM 1.25m - Parachute version
- SDHI 2.5m Heat Shield
- SDHI 2.5m Service Module
- LV-909 Liquid Fuel Engine (Fairingless)
- SDHI 2.5m Service Module Fairing
- SDHI 2.5m Service Module Adapter
- Boost Protective Cover is ogive-shaped to fit stock Mk1-2 Pod and any surface-attached accessories underneath
- Staging activates both the shroud decoupler and jettison solid rocket motors
- If shroud jettison is to be triggered via action groups, both the decoupler and the solid motors must be manually mapped to the same action key
- Docking Ports come with short-range illumination lamps and integrated drogue/main parachute system
- Clamp-O-Tron variant is compatible with stock standard-sized docking ports
- IACBM variant is compatible with the FusTek Station Parts Expansion add-on
- Service Module comes with:
- Non-staged CM-SM decoupler to prevent accidental Pod/Service Module seperation during flight (action groups or right-click context menu used instead)
- Toggleable integrated fuel-to-electricity converter for use

Bugs/Known Issues
- Drogue parachutes do not auto-cut until mains are fully deployed
- This is due to the use of *two* ModuleParachutes, which is technically "hacky" by KSP standards
- Unlike BobCat's Orion spacecraft, however, the parachute-equipped docking ports will use the greater of the two drag configurations, guaranteeing a safe landing
- Warranty void if parachutes are deployed on a planetary body other than Kerbin
- Docking Port Lights become untoggleable after parachute deployment
- This is because of the way KSP handles animations; the game can only save the state of one animation at a time, and the docking ports need several animations to handle the various parachute deployment stages and the lights.

I know you're calling this final, but I suggest one change to the 'chute version of the clamp-o-tron. When trying to align with stock clamp-o-trons, the capsule (using MJ's docking autopilot with forced alignment) ends up oriented 180 degrees from where it should be. One capsule's top is aligned with the other's bottom instead of its top. The model's orientation would seem to be in need of a 180 degree orientation. Might just be able to get away with it in the config too.

Also, I was noticing that the warning label on the mortar indicates it must be disarmed prior to servicing.

Jeb has a question about that, actually and asked that I convey to you whether or not it's ok to use a mallet for the procedure...

I know you're calling this final, but I suggest one change to the 'chute version of the clamp-o-tron. When trying to align with stock clamp-o-trons, the capsule (using MJ's docking autopilot with forced alignment) ends up oriented 180 degrees from where it should be. One capsule's top is aligned with the other's bottom instead of its top. The model's orientation would seem to be in need of a 180 degree orientation. Might just be able to get away with it in the config too.

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll take a look at the configs first thing tomorrow morning, and possibly implement it as a hotfix.

Also, I was noticing that the warning label on the mortar indicates it must be disarmed prior to servicing.

Jeb has a question about that, actually and asked that I convey to you whether or not it's ok to use a mallet for the procedure...

I'm not sure - I haven't tried disarming one myself just yet XD

Starwaster - I just tested my own setup, and I found that with the Clamp-O-Chute* as it is right now, MechJeb's docking alignment does correctly line them up i.e. the tops of both capsules are lined up on the same side.

Make sure that the "drogue" side of the docking port is aligned with the windows on the Mk1-2 Pod in both spacecraft.

*Unofficial epithet

V1.1 released - see announcements thread for download link

1.1          17 October 2013
---------------------------

Changes:
- Compatibility Patch for KSP 0.22+
- All parts have now been assigned to the appropriate nodes in the Research & Development Tech Tree
- Parts are in the same Tier Level as the Mk1-2 Command Pod (i.e. Tier 5)
- "Specialized Construction" unlocks:
- SDHI 2.5m Heat Shield
- SDHI 2.5m Service Module Adapter
- Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port - Parachute version
- IACBM 1.25m - Parachute version
- "Supersonic Flight" unlocks:
- SDHI Mk1-2 Pod Boost Protective Cover
- SDHI 2.5m Service Module Fairing
- "Heavier Rocketry" unlocks:
- SDHI 2.5m Service Module
- LV-909 Liquid Fuel Engine (Fairingless)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.