[WIP] Sum Dum Heavy Industries Service Module System (Stockalike)

sumghai

V1.2 released - see announcements thread for download link

1.2          25 October 2013
---------------------------

Changes:
- VAB/SPH: Moved SDHI 2.5m Service Module Adapter and SDHI 2.5m Service Module Fairing to Aero tab
- R&D: Moved SDHI 2.5m Service Module Adapter to "Supersonic Flight" node
- If you have unlocked this part previously in Career Mode, you will need to edit your persistence file to temporarily remove the adapter from the list of unlocked parts, and then re-unlock after restarting the game
- Modified SDHI Mk1-2 Pod Boost Protective Cover collider to allow the Mk1-2 Pod underneath to be selected
- Hover your mouse pointer over the "Cut To Rescue" graphic on the cover and right-click

Loving this pack, and your art style in general.

Two things I'd really like to see, if you don't mind the requests, is a competitor to Bobcat's Orion pod, namely a 3.75m - 1.25m conical pod for 5+ kerbals.

Bobcat's is fantastic, but it's made to be realistic, not stock-like, and it's scaled to it's own standard, not 3.75m, as is the standard.

I've made this request in the general requests area already, but I'm asking you specifically, as I prefer your art style, and your LES components are second to none.

My other request is a 2 or 3 seat pod externally shaped like the SDHI LES shroud. It's nearly perfect for a soyuz style descent module with a "stock-like" feel.

• 3 weeks later...
Loving this pack, and your art style in general.

Two things I'd really like to see, if you don't mind the requests, is a competitor to Bobcat's Orion pod, namely a 3.75m - 1.25m conical pod for 5+ kerbals.

Bobcat's is fantastic, but it's made to be realistic, not stock-like, and it's scaled to it's own standard, not 3.75m, as is the standard.

I've made this request in the general requests area already, but I'm asking you specifically, as I prefer your art style, and your LES components are second to none.

My other request is a 2 or 3 seat pod externally shaped like the SDHI LES shroud. It's nearly perfect for a soyuz style descent module with a "stock-like" feel.

I'm not really interested in making alternative pods - this pack was meant to be a stop-gap solution to fill a niche.

Thanks for getting back to me, I've decided I'm going to try my hand at creating my own components over the christmas break, when I have some time off both work and uni. Going to try the 3 Command pods, and a few other parts, but I'll ask ahead of time, is it okay to explicitly design my parts to be compatable with yours? (ie: made to fit your LES, decoupler avionic ring, etc.)

Thanks for getting back to me, I've decided I'm going to try my hand at creating my own components over the christmas break, when I have some time off both work and uni. Going to try the 3 Command pods, and a few other parts, but I'll ask ahead of time, is it okay to explicitly design my parts to be compatable with yours? (ie: made to fit your LES, decoupler avionic ring, etc.)

Not a problem :)

• 1 month later...

Known bug with a part of the .cfg... here, swap the contents of the .cfg with this:

PART
{
name = SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron
module = Part
author = sumghai

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL {
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort2/model
scale = 1, 1, 1
}

MODEL {
model = SDHI/Service Module System/SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron/model
scale = 1, 1, 1
rotation = 0.0, 180.0, 0.0
}

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2828832, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 1500
cost = 560
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port - Parachute version

description = Not to be outdone by Sum Dum Heavy Industries and their newfangled "IACBM", the as-yet unknown manufacturer of the original Clamp-O-Trons hastily stuck a parachute and some lights onto their flagship product.

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.25
minimum_drag = 0.25
angularDrag = 0.5
crashTolerance = 10
maxTemp = 3400

breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
referenceAttachNode = top
nodeType = size1
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleLight
lightName = spotlight
useAnimationDim = true
lightBrightenSpeed = 2.5
lightDimSpeed = 2.5
resourceAmount = 0.16
animationName = SDHI_ParaDock_1_Lights
useResources = true
}

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule
material = Nylon
caseMass = 0.2
timer = 0
mustGoDown = true
cutSpeed = 0.5
spareChutes = 5
secondaryChute = true

// Main chutes
capName = chute_cover_mains
parachuteName = canopy_main
preDeploymentAnimation = SDHI_ParaDock_1_main_semi_deploy
deploymentAnimation = SDHI_ParaDock_1_main_full_deploy
preDeployedDiameter = 3
deployedDiameter = 55
minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 1990
deploymentAlt = 700
cutAlt = -1
preDeploymentSpeed = 2
deploymentSpeed = 6

// Drogue chutes
secCapName = chute_cover_drogue
secParachuteName = canopy_drogue
secPreDeploymentAnimation = SDHI_ParaDock_1_drogue_semi_deploy
secDeploymentAnimation = SDHI_ParaDock_1_drogue_full_deploy
secPreDeployedDiameter = 5
secDeployedDiameter = 10
secMinIsPressure = false
secMinDeployment = 40000
secDeploymentAlt = 7000
secCutAlt = 2000
secPreDeploymentSpeed = 1
secDeploymentSpeed = 4
}

EFFECTS
{
rcpredeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_open
volume = 1
}
}

rcdeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_single
volume = 1
}
}

rccut
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
volume = 1
}
}

rcrepack
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
volume = 1
}
}
}

}

This will fix your issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while since I last revisited this parts pack.

At the time 1.3 / 1.4 was released, I envisioned the SMS as essentially feature-complete, save for the occasional maintenance releases. Since then, a couple of ideas / changes have been simmering away in the back of my mind, and I feel I'm ready to start looking into them for a 2.0 update:

- Boost Protective Cover rework to make the hatch covers toggleable, allowing compatibility with FASA launch towers

- Inflatable floatation device that automatically activates on splashdown, keeping the capsule and its occupants dry whilst awaiting rescue. stupid_chris and I dabbled with an experimental plugin he wrote a while back, but there were a couple of issues (probably derpage on my end), and so we'll hopefully revisit that soon.

I thought about making the bottom heat shield jettisonable, but I decided that for simplicity, the SDHI SMS Heat Shield would work in the same manner as the one used on the SpaceX Dragon i.e. non-jettisonable, refurbishable for multiple flights.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Report, 12 June 2014

Work begins on the v2.0 update!

I started out by knocking together a number of MM patches to add comprehensive support for various add-ons.

First up, Deadly Re-entry. The heat shield is already compatible, but I added extra definitions to ensure that the Service Module and a few other parts would burn up reliably during atmospheric re-entry.

Secondly, Connected Living Spaces. codepoet original packed some configs in the main CLS download, but I've decided to do him a favour by setting up my own configs so that he won't have to maintain a patch on my behalf anymore.

Finally, TAC Life Support. I did some reading regarding the Orion MPCV's capabilities, and from what I gather, the Service Module itself stores most of the oxygen and potable water needed (up to 21 days for a crew of four), and also has its own air scrubbers / water recyclers. As such, when SDHI SMS is installed:

- The Mk1-2 Pod itself will get an extra 24 hours of Food and its associated Waste storage

- The Service Module will get an extra 24 hours of Water and Oxygen, as well as their associated WasteWater and CarbonDioxide storage; it would also include a basic air scrubber and water recycler

- The Avionics Ring-only variant will only have the air scrubber and water recycler

The aforementioned point implies resource transfer between the Command Pod and Service Module; however, the tension ties holding the former to the latter are strictly for structural purposes only, and as such, I decided to start work on a new addition to the models to depict the umbilical connector that allows fluids and gases to be passed between both compartments - at the end of the mission, when the SM is decoupled, the umbilical's built-in guillotine cuts all the interconnects, such that the CM will use its own reserves during re-entry and splashdown.

Obviously, the umbilical coming from the SM needs something to interface to on the Command Pod itself, but since I didn't want to make my own command pod, I used Module Manager and texture overrides to add an umbilical decal to the existing stock Mk 1-2 Pod:

_wip__sdhi_sms_umbilical__1__by_sumghai-d7m1b59.png

Fig 15 - (WIP) SDHI SMS Umbilical (1)

The key point of this feature is that, should a user decide to uninstall SDHI, the pod's appearance will revert back to its original stock appearance. No permanent harm :)

Next up: modelling the actual umbilical and figuring out how to trigger a part animation when the SM is decoupled.

The key point of this feature is that, should a user decide to uninstall SDHI, the pod's appearance will revert back to its original stock appearance. No permanent harm :)

Next up: modelling the actual umbilical and figuring out how to trigger a part animation when the SM is decoupled.

Let me ask a stupid question. Could it be possible to make a part that is essentially the same as the fuel line part (the part that allows fuel to cross from one tank to another) that handles the lifesupport resources? Alternatively, it could be purely cosmetic, but still serve the purpose of justifying the transfer.

Let me ask a stupid question. Could it be possible to make a part that is essentially the same as the fuel line part (the part that allows fuel to cross from one tank to another) that handles the lifesupport resources? Alternatively, it could be purely cosmetic, but still serve the purpose of justifying the transfer.

In theory, that would be the easier route - just reskin the existing SQUAD model and write a separate config file for life support resources.

In practice, it simply won't look as nice or realistic as a proper Orion MPCV / Apollo CSM-style umbilical.

Progress Report, 14 June 2014

The umbilical has been modelled, and it fits nicely with the modified stock Command Pod:

ksp_sdhi_sms_umbilical_wip_14_june_2014_by_sumghai-d7mazar.png

Fig 16 - (WIP) SDHI SMS Umbilical (2)

Here, I'm using MODEL{} node calls so that I can reuse the same umbilical model on both the Service Module and the Avionics Ring variant, without having to extensively modify either base models - I'll still need to make some cutouts in the upper ring area, though, for the sake of realism and completeness.

In addition to texturing the umbilical, I have yet to figure out how to get the umbilical to automatically detach when the pod is decoupled; at the moment, I'm just using the bog-standard FSanimateGeneric to help with my development.

Hey, speaking of ModuleManager files for cross-mod compatibility:

MP Nazari's HotRockets has a pretty cool visual effect for the LV-909 engine, but it doesn't show on the SDHI fairingless version.

Here's a ModuleManager config that fixes this:

@PART[SDHI_Rockomax_LV-909_NoFairing] //LV-909 (fairingless, SDHI)
{
!fx_exhaustFlame_blue
!fx_exhaustLight_blue
!fx_smokeTrail_light
!fx_exhaustSparks_flameout
!sound_vent_medium
!sound_rocket_hard
!sound_vent_soft
!sound_explosion_low
EFFECTS
{
powerflame
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST
{
name = flamethrust
modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flamestandard
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.99
emission = 0.75 1.21
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 1.70
speed = 1.0 1.65
energy = 0.0 0.33 // Same for energy
energy = 1.0 0.99 // Same for energy
fixedEmissions = false
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_rocket_hard
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
powersmoke
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST
{
name = smokethrust
modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/smokejet
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.07 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.2 0.4 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 1.0 1.1 // Curve for emission like stock
energy = 0.0 0.2 // Same for energy
energy = 1.0 3.2 // Same for energy
speed = 0.0 1.0 // And speed
speed = 1.0 0.8 // And speed
grow = 0.0 0.0 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )
grow = 1.0 0.15 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )
scale = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%
scale = 1.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%
offset = 0.0 0.0 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters
offset = 1.0 0.5 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters
size = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the particles to +0%
size = 1.0 1.1 // Rescale the particles to +0%

renderMode = "Billboard" // Render mode : Billboard / SortedBillboard / HorizontalBillboard / VerticalBillboard / Stretch
collide = false // Collision active or not
collideRatio = 0 // how the particles react on collision. 1 is a mirror bounce, 0 is go parallel to the hit surface
fixedScale = 1.0 // Fixed rescale of the particle emitter (for when you rescale the model)

sizeClamp = 50 // Limits particle size. Default to 50

// ***************
// From here the value are not the default anymore.
// ***************

angle = 0.0 1.0 // Display if the angle between the emitter transform and camera is lower than 45°
angle = 45.0 1.0
angle = 50.0 1.0
distance = 0.0 1.0 // Display if the distance to camera is higher than 110
distance = 100.0 1.0
distance = 110.0 1.0

emission // Modulate emission from mach and density curve. You can add other section for size, energy, speed, grow, offset and scale
{
mach = 0.0 1.0
mach = 0.8 1.0 // don't display until mach .8
mach = 1.0 1.0
density = 1.0 1.0
density = 0.4 1.0 // don't display over .4 atmo
density = 0.3 1.0
density = 0.002 1.0
density = 0.001 0.0 // and stop under .001
}
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_medium
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
disengage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
!fxOffset

}
@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
{
%type = ModuleEnginesFX
}
}

IO1cIsr.png

Beautiful work Sumghai, can't wait to play with the new and improved system. And now I won't have to cover the entire outside of the SM with life support tanks and filters when doing crew transfers to Minmus.

Beautiful work Sumghai, can't wait to play with the new and improved system. And now I won't have to cover the entire outside of the SM with life support tanks and filters when doing crew transfers to Minmus.

Kerbin to Minmus transfer is only eight days each way. You don't need a whole lot of life support for that.

Here's my current Kerbin-region SDHI build, it uses the radial life support recyclers from here and has four of the small life support hexcans (two food-only and two combo packs). Crew can last 27 days on the supplies and, if necessary, a few more days without food (the air and water last for 70):

With the Kerbin Departure Stage below:

aaQMBEg.jpg

Minmus orbital insertion:

OWk3Zhs.png

Drop the lower stage to crash into Minmus and use the SDHI fuel to return:

KRiOrr0.jpg

Hey, speaking of ModuleManager files for cross-mod compatibility:

MP Nazari's HotRockets has a pretty cool visual effect for the LV-909 engine, but it doesn't show on the SDHI fairingless version.

Here's a ModuleManager config that fixes this:

Ah, thanks for that! I'll make a note of this on GitHub to make sure it is packaged in with the next release.

Progress Report, 14 June 2014

Slot have been cut in the Avionics Ring / Service Module parts where the umbilical will go, and everything related has been re-textured:

ksp_sdhi_sms_umbilical_wip_16_june_2014_by_sumghai-d7mkpib.png

Fig 17 - (WIP) SDHI SMS Umbilical (3)

The graphics for the connectors on the umbilical probably don't precisely match up with those on the (MM patched) stock pod itself, but I'd say it'll be good enough once I figure out how to trigger animations in response to decoupling.

Next Up: Reworking the Boost Protect Cover by cutting a slot for the umbilical and making a toggleable fairing panel to allow compatibility with FASA Launch Towers.

What are the chances of a 3.75m service module for the Taurus command pod, in the style we all love so much from SDHI? Especially considering how cool the umbilical lines are looking, this is great stuff. The TAC life support will be wonderful. I'm looking forward to the 2.0 release very excitedly.

What are the chances of a 3.75m service module for the Taurus command pod, in the style we all love so much from SDHI? Especially considering how cool the umbilical lines are looking, this is great stuff. The TAC life support will be wonderful. I'm looking forward to the 2.0 release very excitedly.

I'm not too keen on that, I'm afraid - besides, I've heard that there's a TweakScale config floating around somewhere that modifies the SDHI SMS for larger and smaller pod diameters.

Progress Report, 18 June 2014

Boost Protect Cover / Aeroshroud has been reworked! Check out the new (upcoming) features:

ksp_sdhi_sms_aeroshroud_rework_18_june_2014_by_sumghai-d7muayk.png

Fig 18 - SDHI Mk1-2 Aeroshroud Rework

I just noticed during testing that I'll need to reposition the SRB thrust transforms used for blowing the cover clear of the pod by 45 degrees about the main rotational axis, but that's really minor. And maybe lower heat production on the aforementioned SRBs, to prevent them from overheating the pod (the cover should only overheat and explode during re-entry).

Next Up:

- Possibly write my own plugin to handle the "animate on decouple" umbilical

- Inflatable floatation collar (stupid_chris is looking into the plugin)

- RealChute 1.2 compatibility (again, dependent on stupid_chris)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.