Doing it Gemini Style - An Alternate History Mun Mission

@Death Engineering thanks for bringing this fascinating challenge back.

Here is my entry :

Scoring:

Spoiler

Primary mission objective (+20):

• Stock parts only
  • 2 launches and a two-Kerbal crew landed on the Mun
  • A Munar rescue craft is launched prior to the main mission

Launch Profile:

·       Launch 1:  An uncrewed Gemini rescue capsule with lunar descent and ascent stage launches on a Saturn C-3B LV with a dual engine Centaur 3rd stage utilised to reach Munar orbit.  The Gemini rescue craft lands and establishes the Munar landing zone.

·       Launch 2: A Titan III launches two dual seat space bikes which are capable of landing on the Mun, and returning to Munar orbit

·       Launch 3:  A Saturn V launches a crewed Gemini capsule, and the Gemini and space bikes rendezvous and dock in LKO and then proceed to Munar orbit using a Centaur kicker.

·       From Mun orbit, Jeb and Bill EVA and ride their open bikes to the Munar surface landing within 200m of the Gemini rescue craft.  Bill returns to Munar orbit on his bike and EVAs to the Gemini capsule.  Jeb has a technical failure on his bike so launches in the rescue craft.  Jeb and Bill rendezvous in Munar orbit, and may choose between the two Gemini craft to return to Kerbin.

Notes

+ While I could easily have completed a LOR profile (my Titan III kicker had plenty of dV), I think it was more in line with Gemini strategy to do the EOR (Agena style).

I think the strategy of landing a Gemini capsule on the Munar surface is unnecessarily wasteful.  Having multiple dual seat space bikes would be an adequate safety strategy, and far more cost effective.  The space bikes could also carry science instruments and rovers to the surface to allow ongoing research. 

Bonus points:

Mission

• Earth Orbit Rendezvous (+5): 
  • Landing prestige: One Kerbal on the Mun (+7).
  • Second Kerbal on the Mun (+4).

Capsule

• Happy together (+3) <<< exclude
  • We're done with that (+3)
  • Just in case (+3)

Lifter

• Wow, A Titan III!(+3): 
  • Saturn S-3? That's your full-size (+5)
  • Won't Apollo miss that Saturn 5? (+6)
  • That's no bull (+2 ea.):  two-engine cluster - Centaur kicker stage.

Lander

• On your space bike (+4)
  • Dropping some weight (+3)
  • Making it count (+2): 
  • Since we're there (+2)

Recovery

• Welcome home (+10)
  • We can take it (+3)
  • Landing gear down (+5)

Crazy 60's details

• We are outta here (+3)
  • Easy Rider (+3)
  • We have a reservation (+7)

Total = 107

New total = 104

Pad Abort Test

Spoiler

Munar Mission

Edited by jinnantonix

21 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Here is my entry for this challenge: [...]

Yes! So glad to see some Gemini-love out there.   :cool:

Always like a good KSP video.. thanks for putting it together! Great way to incorporate the backup mode. And all-stock nice :) 

Going to have to call on the "Happy together (+3)"  points though. This is pretty much exclusive to a direct-ascent or other two-crew together missions.

Still a new high score on the Stock Parts class!

Edited by Death Engineering

k0KJjvml.png

Not a classy video or anything.. just a wing around the block (Mun) in my favourite alternate-space history hardware..

Gemini to the Mun!

YX214gEl.png

Using a Gemini Joint Landing (LOR) profile, two crew completed a landing near the Armstrong Memorial, previously surveyed by the Gemini Surface Rescue landing.

0IZ9o20l.png

One crew descended in the pressurized lander and decided the margin was too thin for a return to orbit.

Gyr8518l.png

The second crew joined the landing site on a backup open-cockpit lander and both crew returned home on the backup mission.

hi5pZUul.png

Spoiler

LOR: 2 Launches. Two spacecraft rendezvous and dock in Munar orbit and perform a Mun landing
With Gemini Lunar Surface Rescue Spacecraft
Primary mission objective (+20)
Munar Orbit Rendezvous (+6)
Landing prestige: Two Kerbals on the Mun (+11).
We're done with that (+3)
Just in case (+3)
That looks like Saturn 1B! (+4): 
Saturn S-3? That's your full-size (+5):
Won't Apollo miss that Saturn 5? (+6)
That's no bull (+2) x 3 = (+6)
On your space bike (+4)
Dropping some weight (+3):
Welcome home (+10)
We can take it (+3):
Landing gear down (+5): 
We are outta here (+3):
We have a reservation (+7)

Pictorial account in no particular order..

Edited by Death Engineering

On 1/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, Death Engineering said:

Going to have to call on the "Happy together (+3)"  points though. This is pretty much exclusive to a direct-ascent or other two-crew together missions.

Ah, my bad.  I misunderstood the rule.

I like your Gemini replicas.  Is Making History and Breaking Ground considered non-stock?

19 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

not sure what i'm seeing there.. is that a strut moving?

The leg comprises of a G-00 Hinge, a robotic actuator part included in "Breaking Ground", with a Grip Pad connected by struts. The struts allow a bit of movement during hinge operation, like a piston.

TAC-LS does not monitor the vehicle, so Kerbals have infinite resources even when TAC-LS is loaded.  IRL, it would allow a human a few hours on the surface before needing to return to orbit. 

Alternatively, a better and more realistic mission profile would include a pressurised habitat, which could be landed allowing a longer and more comfortable stay on the lunar surface, and this would need LS resources.  I don't think it would be feasible nor cost effective to launch this hab to orbit as a rescue craft.  Instead my mission design would have a second empty Gemini capsule in orbit with a spare bike which could be landed autonomously at the hab to be used by a stranded crew.  The spare Gemini craft could be used as a safety measure over multiple landing missions.

Another safety design would include a small seat and safety belt on the bike for a pillion passenger in case two astronauts need to use one bike.

Edited by jinnantonix

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.