School, AKA prison.

Deadpangod3

Everyone always complains their school serves crappy food. Ever heard of bringing food from home? Is this some taboo in the states or something?

A) Excluding free and reduced lunch kids they can be more expensive, x5 days a week and x however many kids you have, that adds up quickly.

B) You can't have cooked meals (Microwave does not count, and not all schools have/allow students to use them.)

For adults saying that school is the best time of your life, please remember this. You have money. You choose what food you eat. You choose what clothes you wear. You choose where you go in your free time. You get the freedom to decide for yourself what's best for you. Children don't get that.

You have money which you have to sped on food, housing, clothing, family. You choose what food you eat and have to pay for it (Since when did kids not get to choose what to eat?). You choose what clothes you wear, like those ones you got for a fiver at ASDA because mummy and daddy aren't buying your designer clothes anymore. You choose where yo go in your VERY LIMITED free time (What kinda kid doesn't get to choose what to do in their free time, anyway?). You get the freedom to decide what's best for you SOMETIMES.

Basically 80% of what you said is superficial BS which kids get anyway... JS.

Enjoy Your school time when You can, later it WONT be easier (But, bigger challenge, if this make You feel better) I assure You... Now stop worrying and deal with it :cool:.

I think that this hatred to school can caused by system: it's now very focused on grades and preparing for next "BIG" exam and disregarding need of encouraging students to learn and seeking knowledge on their own.

I had learning disabilities (write slow) as an child and was nearly never getting best grades (but I was good when working hard enough) but it won't break my interest in learning and thirst for knowledge (my enthusiasm won't included making homeworks, lol) :).

Also, in my school years my largest problem wasn't school, but other (elementary/mid school) students who, mildly speaking won't respect people who are interested in subject/doing well.

A) Excluding free and reduced lunch kids they can be more expensive, x5 days a week and x however many kids you have, that adds up quickly.

B) You can't have cooked meals (Microwave does not count, and not all schools have/allow students to use them.)

I'm not totally sure what you mean with the first part of (A) there, but in regards to cost, is cafeteria food in the US free? If so, why do kids have lunch money? I mean when it comes to paying for crappy food or paying for less crappy food you know what I'd pick. As for B, yes, it's true, you usually can not have hot food brought from home (except maybe if it's in a thermos) but if your school food sucks that much, I don't see how this is a better option than room temperature food from home. Unless you can't bear to eat anything that isn't warm. I mean I went most of my school life without hot food at lunch and I lived. But that's just me.

I can't wait to leave so that I can get a job and actually have freedom to do mostly whatever I want. For adults saying that school is the best time of your life, please remember this. You have money. You choose what food you eat. You choose what clothes you wear. You choose where you go in your free time. You get the freedom to decide for yourself what's best for you. Children don't get that.

1) You have money: Nope! After paying all the insurances, taxes, rent, food, and clothes for you and your children you have no money. Unless you are rich.

2)You choose what food you eat: maybe someone do, in my case the price of the food chooses what i eat.

3)you chooze what clothes you wear: Nope, we have a dress code in my company, and for free time, i still buy the same kind of clothes my parents were buying me, cause iam used to it, and also i found out that clotes i wanted when i was child looks dumb, and clothes i was wearing as an teenager? (my parents let me wear what ever i wanted). I burned all the photos from my teens cause those clothes. I had more holes in my pants than pants, i had earrings! Nope noone is going to see that. Too embarasing.

4) you choose where you go in your free time, well i pretty much chose where to go in my free time as child too, except places that could be dangerous for my health or moral. so dont see the point here.

5) Children dont have freedom to decide whats good for them: yes and it is a good thing. Because they lack the experiences and mental capabilities to do so.(and i know you hate me for saying that, but its true, like it or not.)

But dont worry kids i was absolutely like you i hated school, i hated being told what to do, but i also enjoyed myself, and i believe you do too.

Try to trust me, and enjoy being kid as long as you can, cause there is no way back in life. Childhood is most underrated but most fun part of the life.

For adults saying that school is the best time of your life, please remember this. You have money. You choose what food you eat. You choose what clothes you wear. You choose where you go in your free time. You get the freedom to decide for yourself what's best for you. Children don't get that.

Somewhere between school and working life happens something that makes computer games and candy taste sour.

Then everything gets complicated.

Yes, yes, we get that. Just to clarify, we've ALL been through school. And no, we do not all suffer from amnesia, we all remember our time in school. You might not be able to imagine it but you can believe us......school is not the worst time in you live.

That said, I can't wait to leave so that I can get a job and actually have freedom to do mostly whatever I want. For adults saying that school is the best time of your life, please remember this. You have money. You choose what food you eat. You choose what clothes you wear. You choose where you go in your free time. You get the freedom to decide for yourself what's best for you. Children don't get that.

The thing is, when you graduate, move out on your own, it's true that there's no longer anyone making decisions for you. However, you just traded all those decisions being made for you for obligations and commitments that you yourself have to keep.

First, you have to keep a job. This really cuts into your free time. Most of my friends are out of the house for at least 10-12 hours between commutes and actual work. Then when they do get home, they have to cook for themselves, maybe do some yard work or housework, and then they're finally into their "free time." Some of my friends consider themselves lucky to have more than an hour of free time a day during the week. As has been mentioned, most jobs have dress codes that are stricter in at least some ways than most school dress codes. No jeans, shirts must have collars, maybe no sneakers, etc. That's not even getting into the jobs that require "business casual."

As for money, $8 an hour 40 hours a week may sound like a lot, but between taxes, rent, car payments/maintenance/insurance/gas if applicable, and utilities, you won't have much of it left (depending on where you live, that may not even be enough to cover that much). Food comes next. You know that Allstate commercial where they talk about a "ramen noodle every night budget?" That's not uncommon for people out on their own for the first time. Spending an extra dollar a night for a better dinner may not sound like much, but that's $30 a month, and if your "luxuries/entertainment" budget is $100, that $1 for each dinner takes a big bite out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you're living in the paradise of your life and it will never get better than that. However, for most people, if it gets better, it's because of their accomplishments "out in the world," not the extra freedom gained from being out in the world.

EDIT: "out in the word"? Yeah, fixed that.

Edited by Eric S

Ohhh school... why does some (or most, depending on the location) hate school?

But I do get weird feelings of newcomers going to middle school... In Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley, if you prefer to say it in more "technologically" advanced way) when kids go to middle school, they go at 6th grades. That feeling happened when I'm 7th grade, and now.

(P.S. I'm in 8th grade.)

Its funny how kids seem to think that adults have no idea when the actually were kids at some point too. The most fun part is when you will realize yourself that you wont magically change when becoming an adult.

Also as others said - enjoy your time in school. You will probably never have so much spare-time and so few worries about anything again. It is true that money kind of gives you freedom later on - but in the end it also gives you all the worries that come with it - way less spare-time and its not like most people have enough money to do whatever they want.

But i do understand the point of view. I had the same one its rather funny but the more you progress the more you realize that it was better before. So whenver you get into a new stage of education you will only then start to realize how "relaxed" it was before.

And depending on what you will do later on learning never stops. It gets worse - at least for me - i am actually rather annoyed by it at times - working 8 hours a day - going home - start learning ...

And something most people will probably realize at some point - you dont change - people will be immature forever - difference is you will be rather careful when to show it.

Edited by SpaceHole

What is this spare time you speak of? The most I get is about 2 hours a day. Not saying you forgot how it is to be in school, but you tend to think your situation is the worst. I'm in high school and in AP courses at that. If I get two hours of free time it is a miracle.(Except on weekends which I understand) Lastly we don't get paid for our time in school, nor our "overtime". That is not to mention those in high school who have jobs.

What is this spare time you speak of? The most I get is about 2 hours a day. Not saying you forgot how it is to be in school, but you tend to think your situation is the worst. I'm in high school and in AP courses at that. If I get two hours of free time it is a miracle.(Except on weekends which I understand) Lastly we don't get paid for our time in school, nor our "overtime". That is not to mention those in high school who have jobs.

Then you are doing something wrong. I hardly had to spend time to learn after school. School normally was about 5-7 hours a day. Whilst in school you can pretty much do whatever you want inbetween classes and even in classes depending on how fast you can learn. But its so slow its boring anyhow.

How on earth would you only get 2 hours of free time a day?

Yeah you dont get paid for school but you also dont have to worry about money since your parents pretty much pay for you. Most people dont get paid for "overtime" aswell. And needing a job depends on your parents money the countriy you live in and scholarships etc.

Also as far as i know High-School is still a joke when it comes to what you actually have to learn. But people seem to relaize that rather late - when they finished it and go to university.

Ohhh school... why does some (or most, depending on the location) hate school?

But I do get weird feelings of newcomers going to middle school... In Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley, if you prefer to say it in more "technologically" advanced way) when kids go to middle school, they go at 6th grades. That feeling happened when I'm 7th grade, and now.

(P.S. I'm in 8th grade.)

For me, having people smaller than me again (6th graders) makes me feel better.

"We forgets that Adults were in school, and do not have amnesia" Wait, you WERE in school, meaning you are not anymore. School was in a state where you may liked it. Things have changed a WHOLE LOT since then, especially in France (which is where I live for the ones still not knowing that :D). And it had became something bad. Real worst than what you remember. Get the ability to return as a teen state and go back to school. Then compare it with your memories. You will then understand why so many of us hates it ;)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE learning things, and I thought I will love school, college, high schools and the rest. But no, this is so badly done that I don't want to learn anything in class. Things that I learn with joy myself, by readings or googleings ! Maths especially.

And last thing: You remember school being good because your brain tends to remember only the good memories. The things you hated back at the time are deleted now.

Wait, you WERE in school, meaning you are not anymore.

And when was your experience as an adult?

Get the ability to return as a teen state and go back to school. Then compare it with your memories. You will then understand why so many of us hates it ;)

You say that like we don't understand. We do. I remember people making this same argument back then. Heck, we all knew people that felt the same way when we were in school, and some of us may have even hated it then ourselves. The thing is, we've also made the transition from that environment to an independent adult one, so we know it's not all freedom and rainbows and unicorns. Some people will be happier after that transition, some won't. I'd have to say I have more friends that hate their job than I had that hated school, and most of my friends are professionals, so we're not talking about people hating working as a 7-11 clerk.

The point isn't "school is wonderful and you should all be happy." It's that graduation is trading one set of impositions for a different set of impositions, and people that haven't made that transition may not have a very clear understanding of that second set of impositions. Anyone that thinks that school is prison and graduation means total freedom is in for a bit of a shock, even if in the long run you like it better.

And last thing: You remember school being good because your brain tends to remember only the good memories. The things you hated back at the time are deleted now.

I envy people whose minds work that way. My memory holds on to every bad or embarrassing memory I ever had, so yes, I remember the bad things about school.

"We forgets that Adults were in school, and do not have amnesia" Wait, you WERE in school, meaning you are not anymore. School was in a state where you may liked it. Things have changed a WHOLE LOT since then, especially in France (which is where I live for the ones still not knowing that :D). And it had became something bad. Real worst than what you remember. Get the ability to return as a teen state and go back to school. Then compare it with your memories. You will then understand why so many of us hates it ;)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE learning things, and I thought I will love school, college, high schools and the rest. But no, this is so badly done that I don't want to learn anything in class. Things that I learn with joy myself, by readings or googleings ! Maths especially.

Sorry but no. Also most people like me dont talk about school as the institution but about school as the part of life were you went there. Yeah school pretty much was always boring. But we talk about all the free time at this point in life combined with almost no responsibilities.

Things havent changed a whole lot since its not that long ago that i was in school ...

Also i disliked school - pretty much always and i do remember all the bad things yet it was still a nice time compared to all the new issues that rise up later on in your life. I actually always hated school - it was boring and i had to learn stuff i didnt care about and never used again.

Still if you just do it at one point you can decide what to learn (at least to some extent) and will get a nice job.

Anyhow you will still never have that much free time combined with so few responsibilities ever again.

Just as an example how things change:

School 1: meh i have to learn the alphabet and 1x1 thats quite a lot

School 2: meh i have to learn 10 pages of names and birth dates - thats quite a lot - life was so easy before i just didnt realize

School 3: meh i have to learn 100 pages of math and other stuff - thats quite a lot - life was so easy before i just didnt realize

University: WTF how am i supposed to learn 1000 pages - life was so easy before i just didnt realize

Edited by SpaceHole

I'm not totally sure what you mean with the first part of (A) there, but in regards to cost, is cafeteria food in the US free? If so, why do kids have lunch money? I mean when it comes to paying for crappy food or paying for less crappy food you know what I'd pick.

Most kids have to pay for lunches except for the few who get free and reduced cost like kids of war vets etc... everyone else has to pay. Also food must be much cheaper where you live, I can't think how one could get 5 lunches for only $8.75 and still get the same amount of food as the school lunch in america. With that said I fixed your quote for you.

I'm not totally sure what you mean with the first part of (A) there, but in regards to cost, is cafeteria food in the US free? If so, why do kids have lunch money? I mean when it comes to paying for crappy food or paying more for less crappy food you know what I'd pick.

The school in sweden where i went we had it pretty good, not much homework, everyone hung out with everyone at recess and teachers was nice and happy. Free food and a friendly community since my school was tiny and so was the town. Remember back in 9th grade how much i hated 6th graders and less because they were using phones and other gadgets all the time and being mean while everyone above them was nice to eachother. I can understand how school can feel like a prison but it gets better.

People who think their remembered school experience makes them qualified to comment on a CURRENT student's experience would do well to take into account how much the public school system has changed in the last few decades. Its not the same thing it was when we went through it, assuming the original post was talking about the USA. For one thing things are much more regimented and structured now because schools are pressured to process students factory-like to the test and anything not on the test is superfluous and unimportant. No Child Left Behind has made everything a LOT worse. It set up an incentive for schools to narrowly care ONLY about what's on the national test and absolutely nothing else, and any schools that do continue caring about other things get financially punished for it. Thats why schools all across the country have been trying to divest themselves of music programs, art programs, theatre programs etc.

And if you don't believe the children saying it sucks because they're kids, then pay attention to the teachers describing this happening.

People who think their remembered school experience makes them qualified to comment on a CURRENT student's experience would do well to take into account how much the public school system has changed in the last few decades. Its not the same thing it was when we went through it, assuming the original post was talking about the USA. For one thing things are much more regimented and structured now because schools are pressured to process students factory-like to the test and anything not on the test is superfluous and unimportant. No Child Left Behind has made everything a LOT worse. It set up an incentive for schools to narrowly care ONLY about what's on the national test and absolutely nothing else, and any schools that do continue caring about other things get financially punished for it. Thats why schools all across the country have been trying to divest themselves of music programs, art programs, theatre programs etc.

And if you don't believe the children saying it sucks because they're kids, then pay attention to the teachers describing this happening.

Where's my rep button??

No, seriously, it disappeared.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.