Rocket Project

wakairyu

hello everyone my name is Ryan.

I have been playing ksp since its initial release, I have always loved space exploration, & travel. The crafts used to get us there!

& then I thought, hay if you gave anybody else my age the given materials I could build a rocket and leave earths orbit circum-navigate the moon in orbit, sling shot around and come back to earth. But that isn't going to happen, but what I could do is build a smaller sub-orbital " model " rocket.

I am just wondering if anybody on the forums here, would like me to upload photo's on progress / work I have done. But I also add that it will be a bit off a slow project ( as of the funding ) but it will be a fun science project. I would be happy to receive any input / advice too!

feel free to PM or just post a comment on here!!

Cheers, Ryan!

Nice thought. One problem many of us face with this is our governments who think that private people should not be allowed to build and launch model rockets, since they can so easily be turned into ICBM's (or something just as devastating). So my question for you is: have you though of what kind of fuel to go for? Solid? Hybrid? Liquid?And secondly, you mention suborbital, I atleast think of a rocket that is able to go beyond the Karman line, but not reach orbit proper. Or did you mean just "realy realy high"?I know that if you just want to reach well past the 100km mark with a rather small payload, it's quite possible to do using solids, and relatively cheap materials. After all, sounding rockets used by universities here and there aren't realy too large or advanced, but they still reach high altitudes. When I say "cheap" and "simple", it's a relative term.Anyway, I wish you luck, even if it ends up being just a small one (or ten) reaching just a few km up. The fun is (as I see it) in learning, building, then, if possible, launching. Or just run a hot test on the ground, and build the next one a bit better.

You don't have these problem if you go in the international waters.

However,you *might* have some problems finding the materials,getting the launch that float on the water and,I know it's going to sound ridiculous but you may have problem getting in the international waters!

hello, I am planning on making my propellant from solid fuel. I have a few very nice mixtures. I am yet to test which of the 3 works best, or if i can infuse all 3 to make a really powerful mix. and by sub orbital I am not really planning on anything to large. I was thinking that for my first attempt 1.5km - 2.5km high, with recovery. as I am planning on adding in altimeter & telemetry modules ( also enables me to deploy a drogue parachute and then a main chute at 500ft. then allowing me to upload the data to my computer to view flight data, speeds, e.t.c. and I have gotten authority from the government to build and launch this rocket as well. ( also the fact that I am adding an semi-automated recovery system, the government actually allows flights some how.. :)

In United States, there are no formal laws to prevent you from launching a rocket into space from your back yard. You'll probably run into all sorts of regulations if you try to make money off of it, but so longs as its a purely "amateur"* project, it falls under umbrella of amateur rocketry laws which are quite flexible. You would need a high power license which is not that difficult to obtain, and if you are launching anything serious, you should inform FAA so that they can issue a NOTAM to prevent a plane from flying into it. But all of this is fairly straight forward. It's not something you have to be a mega-corp to set up and file. Compared to the challenge of actually building a rocket that can reach space, let alone establish orbit, getting permissions for one is easy.

That said, first "amateur"* rocket only reached space in something like 2010, and nobody came even close to establishing orbit yet.

* "Amateur" in this context simply means non-commercial. People involved in all of the projects with any success have been anything but.

hello K^2, thank you for the input.

I am not planning on making an orbit, I do not believe that I have enough funding. If you would do the calculations, & could present it to me either in PM or just comment I would be happy to consider it.

Cheers, Ryan.

You should google to see if there is a model recketry club in your area / country. These groups organize come together about once a month during the summer or wind still days and fly rockets. They inform he local government and bring the equipment you need. Like a electric starter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.