TT NeverUnload - Vessel Unloading Preventer

TouhouTorpedo

Not a single time have I clicked on a link to a mod on Curse and been directed straight to the mod page. Always to the Kerbal page. At which point I learn that not even a significant portion of mods claimed to be on the website are actually even on it.

Most important of all, though, is the fact that many unmaintained mods will cease to exist if spaceport does - meaning a large amount of meticulously created content will be deleted. As TT says, this is simply unacceptable.

Spaceport should have simply been maintained better, and was probably due for an update or two as well.

If I click on a Curse link to a mod on this forum I am taken to the mod's curse page.

If I go to the Curse mod listing and click on a link there for a mod I am taken to the mod's curse page.

Perhaps in the past you clicked on a kerbalspaceprogram.com link post-shutdown, which used to cause a redirect to curse's Kerbal landing page.

That's the only reason why I can think that you would think Curse is that broken. Either that or you're trolling and I don't think you're trolling. Just confused.

Let's try a Curse link now:http://kerbal.curseforge.com/parts/220639-gingercorp-stock-alike-station-hubs

Perhaps in the past you clicked on a kerbalspaceprogram.com link post-shutdown, which used to cause a redirect to curse's Kerbal landing page.

That's the only reason why I can think that you would think Curse is that broken. Either that or you're trolling and I don't think you're trolling. Just confused.

Bolded for emphasis.

I've observed some users making the erroneous assumption that all the old SpacePort download links will automatically redirect to the Curse / CurseForge equivalent (if any exist), when in fact the namespaces and SEO-friendly URLs can be quite different.

Nope. TT didn't object to Curse at all. He objected to shutting down Spaceport, and, more importantly, losing all the content that was uploaded only there. Any upload to any other site would be both against the license, and against his clearly expressed wishes; Curse has nothing to do with anything here.

Nope. TT didn't object to Curse at all. He objected to shutting down Spaceport, and, more importantly, losing all the content that was uploaded only there. Any upload to any other site would be both against the license, and against his clearly expressed wishes; Curse has nothing to do with anything here.

But I think you can just contact the devs to get your content. They saved it when they shut down spaceport, so why would they keep it away from you?

Right, but you can't get the content of, say, users who have left - all you can get is your own content, because Squad has backups even if you don't (that's not something special Squad did, it's standard practice with any server ever to have backups of data). His signature at one point read "Users come and go, their legacy should stay forever." He had copies of his own stuff, but his objection was to the fact that people's legacies were being lost. Relevant post of his: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79011-The-Curse-Thread?p=1143643&viewfull=1#post1143643 (note: this was its own thread till it was merged into the Curse thread, which is why it looks like an OP, not a reply)

About explaining his reasoning: Look, I'm not TT, I'm just repeating what he said. He couldn't care less what site Squad was moving to, he cared that they closed Spaceport and took down public access to all files on it. He now doesn't want his mods reuploaded, and per the license, that means you can't reupload them. It doesn't matter what site you use, since his problem wasn't with any specific site.

Well that explains a lot. My bad. But that still goes to show that tons of authors have yet to support curse

I doubt it shows any such thing. It shows authors who aren't updating their own threads when changing circumstances affect their mods. It can't have demonstrated any stance towards Curse one way or the other or you wouldn't have been in the dark until now. And I doubt the actual number of authors involved is 'tons'; a fairly nebulous term that means.... nothing.

For myself I find that the mods that I use are divided into several categories:

1. Those who used Spaceport to distribute and who switched to Curse either in advance of or after the shutdown of Spaceport
  2. Those who used Spaceport and refuse to migrate to Curse. Instead they use an alternate distribution method.
  3. Those who used Spaceport and refuse to migrate to Curse. They took their ball and went home. (i.e. their mods are no longer available. PERIOD)
  4. Those who used Spaceport to distribute but who abandoned their mods months ago and either are in the dark as to its status or simply no longer care about their mods.
  5. Those who never used Spaceport to distribute and for whom the shutdown of Spaceport has affected their distribution channel not at all. (the current status of their mod's availability is not linked to the fall of Spaceport)

Most of the mods I use or keep abreast of fall into category 1 or 2. (most into 1)

I only know of one confirmed author who falls into category 3. POSSIBLY two, but the second possibly is a category 2 and hasn't decided on a distribution method yet.

I don't know how many fall into category 4 but it seems like quite a lot of them. People lose interest in the game as a whole or fell victim to real life considerations that sucked up their time. (finals, graduation, moving, new job, no job, etc)

And quite a few are category 5. Maybe their mods were small and not deemed large enough to want to host on something like Spaceport in the first place. Dropbox, Github or Mediafire and the like. A lot of the mods I use fall into this category like DREC or RSS or FAR.

Bottom line though is that unless an author has openly stated his stance towards Curse (or the move in general) you really can't infer lack of support based on them not uploading to Curse and updating the download link. Given that you've been clicking on outdated links you would think those 'tons' of authors would have openly stated in their threads why those update links no longer went somewhere useful. And yet here you sit in the dark dependent on us to explain to you why the links no longer work. Sounds to me like 'tons' of authors are just category 4.

Saying "the stickied thread" doesn't really offer anything useful, since there seems to be no relevant stickied thread in this forum. Can you say which stickied thread, in what forum?

Saying "the stickied thread" doesn't really offer anything useful, since there seems to be no relevant stickied thread in this forum. Can you say which stickied thread, in what forum?

It's in General Addon Affairs

Is this mod available anywhere? I want to use it to enjoy long distance views of my stanford toruses (50km load range). Or is there anything that does something similar to this.

It might be time for me to get into plugin writing anyway with my plan for progressive science experiments.

Is this mod available anywhere? I want to use it to enjoy long distance views of my stanford toruses (50km load range). Or is there anything that does something similar to this.

It might be time for me to get into plugin writing anyway with my plan for progressive science experiments.

if this mod is available anywhere then it is in violation of its license. If you think you can create one like it then I think it would be a good idea for you to try it.