Returning From the Mun

My optimal trajectory is when Kerbin rises above the horizon, accelerate to ~840 m/s. When leaving Mun\'s SOI you will have trajectory that has low periapsis (lower than 200 km) or even intersects the surface (several m/s can mean such a difference from there). Then adjust periapsis by burning parallel to the surface to get the optimal reentry trajectory (I usually aim for 32 km to get low g-force reentry).

You should add annotions (or edited version) for slightly more detailed cause-and-effect scenarios, such as \'Where is a retrograde the most efficient?\', or perhaps \'What kind of engines should I look for my craft?\'.

Something like that was my plan.. I had planned more words initially but nothing really ever made it in.. for some reason.. Like I said it may or may not be actually very helpful. :-[ :)

Might do some annotations though. Good idea.

My orbital calculator will help you assess the optimal intercept condition required for low-to-high or high-to-low aspects. In fact, it will give you a complete breakdown of all data needed to perform the maneuver via Hohmann transfer or the bi-elliptic transfer. If you\'re willing to devote the time, it turns out that the bi-elliptic scheme is slightly more efficient than the Hohmann transfer for almost all Kerbin-Mun transfers (e.g. 150km parking orbit around Kerbin to the Mun).

V 1.1 will also computer inclined orbit transfers too (e.g. three-impulse plane changes).

Feel free to give me any feedback if you have any requests or questions.

Download KSP Orbit Mechanic 1.1

Original Thread

Thanks for the advert. ::)

Apologies if I\'m over-stepping my bounds. From your post above, it appears as if you\'re just 'winging it.' I\'ve worked really hard on this calculator over the last several weeks, and I thought it would be useful for exactly this kind of analysis. It will provide you with the hard data needed to perform these maneuvers.

Again, nice video above. Just trying to help. :(

Again, nice video above. Just trying to help. :(

Yeah man. I *think* I might have already downloaded yours. Lots of tabs? Looked good if it\'s the one I\'m thinking of and (I did the proper thing and looked at the thread. Yeah. Orsum.) next time I care to do things really really properly I\'ll definitely use it. Not really overstepping, but it did sound like a spam. :D

I was pretty much just winging it, but I didn\'t need hard numbers either and I don\'t like using strict numbers because they can be difficult to match. Just a general 'Make yourself do this', because it still happens to a lot of people that they somehow get into a Kerbol orbit instead of transitioning straight back into Kerbin... and, really, just for some pretty pictures and music. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. The reason for the advertisement, as you described it, was the update to the original program; it\'s now up to V 1.1. I definitely don\'t want to end up in the spam category, however. My biggest challenge, unfortunately, is getting the word out. KSP Orbit Mechanic is significantly more advanced than KSP Calculator, but the latter is much better known in the community. Therefore, I have some ground to make-up in the 'exposure' department. I apologize again for drifting too closely to advertising. I did watch your video, and I sincerely thought my calculator was relevant to the topic at hand.

As for the hard data, I completely understand. Sometimes you just want to press the 'big red button,' point yourself to the stars, and see what happens. One of my beta testers falls into this category, and it was a real challenge letting him know when this will work and when it will fail him. In the end, the game is all about fun; the calculator is meant to allow you to take your orbit transfers to the next level if you so desire.

Again, the video was well done. Good production value, transitions, music. For the next version of my project, I\'m hoping to add YouTube 'how-to' videos into my calculator. I don\'t think my videos will look as nice as yours, however. ;)