What's the Largest Rocket you've ever built? Interplanetary and Launchers Mostly

Aaah... I haven't built anything truly huge lately, but this was "The Hulk", my RSS Launcher for particularly bulky payloads, and certainly the largest craft I ever constructed:

g6tBOTO.jpg

0zRZRUt.jpg

Nowhere near as cool or intricate as many of the designs here, but RSS + full realism overhaul do favor more minimalistic designs. The entire middle structure is pretty much all fairing space - 25m wide and 60 or so tall - lots of volume. For a little perspective, each of the side boosters of The Hulk is wider than a Saturn V.

I brought ~600 tons to orbit with it, but it had dV and TWR to spare, so it could do more. It was surprisingly reliable.

The second picture is what was inside - the science/living section of a very large interplanetary research craft. The propulsive unit launched itself, and was itself almost the size of the Hulk launcher.

The craft on the right:

BTSM-DualExplorer.jpg

Is the "lightweight" BTSM Moho Express return craft.

She's 2774 tons on the launchpad, 12 stages of variable-sized asparagus, and 386.230 tons in orbit of Kerbin with 9.7km/sec of delta-v. Once she's in Moho orbit (pictured), she's massing in at 60.68t has 4.1km/sec left, plenty for an express trip back home with minimal life support.

I can't get any more recent shots as she's too big to fit on a BTSM launchpad in modern versions (or even versions released shortly after that shot was taken).

That's the biggest single-launch vessel I've ever fielded as far as I'm aware, as I generally prefer convoys of much smaller craft:

BTSM-MIRV2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still my largest rocket to date, never been very good at building rockets i have always been more of a SSTO kinda guy.

First stage engines

IGU4TaL.jpg

Full view on lift off.

6QZZKGE.jpg

Second stage

ECjBwIP.jpg

Third stage

Xzf6mDl.jpg

Fourth stage

Pj8ISWk.jpg

Carrier stage

N1RmuLD.jpg

De orbiting on the mun (im not 100% sure how far one of these rockets will go i have only ever taken these to the mun and minmus. but they will go further)

ymkq4Xv.jpg

Can find the download link/flight instructions on my forum if anyone wants to test how far they can take one of these.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109004-Roflcopterkklol-Industries-is-back!-0-90-craft

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to post images directly from my screen shots folder? Sorry if this is a bonehead question just can't seem to get images up, section on uploading said hosting elsewhere was preferred but I think it should still work and I'm just doing it wrong. Have a grand ship I would like to share here.

Is there a way to post images directly from my screen shots folder? Sorry if this is a bonehead question just can't seem to get images up, section on uploading said hosting elsewhere was preferred but I think it should still work and I'm just doing it wrong. Have a grand ship I would like to share here.

It won't work, the forums would have to store it on it's own server, which it just doesn't support.

You'll have to use an image hosting service, like imgur: http://www.imgur.com/

ATOR Denebola. Largest real world-ish lifter on my fleet so far, rated at 120 tons (not yet tested the full potential so far). Mission report here. And yes, those are mainsails under.

i0OiYvh.jpg

But that pales in comparison to the largest lifter I've ever build: the Bahamut, built during the times when putting not enough struts would mean imminent doom.

screenshot28.png

KSP2011-12-2522-23-19-70.jpg

I call this monstrosity The Towering Infernoâ„¢. Does it deliver huge payloads to orbit? No. Does it take large amounts of crew and equipment to another planets? No. Does it have any other purpose than being big? No. Did it crash my poor laptop dozens of times? Yes.

-snip-

Last stage. Final velocity was 13430 m/s.

-snip-

Final velocity?

Ahh the good ol' pre-0.11 days :D

Edited by Flixxbeatz

Okay, thanks for the help, hopefully this will work:

gwJ34Eh.jpg

ARaHHbv.jpg

o6JZFYf.jpg

The Dominion Inquisitor - Crew compliment of around 70, 2 atmospheric fighters, 4 small space vehicles with grabbing arms, 2 complete science shuttles/bases each with 2 rovers, an additional 2 rovers on the bottom, over a dozen long distance satellites, four deploy-able buoys (these and most of the others all have all scientific measuring devices and communications), almost a dozen guided missiles, enormous solar array and quad-triple xenon engine capable of accelerating in deep space for days and days. All built and successfully launched manually, mechjeb added later because the lag was so bad launches took hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.