What's the Largest Rocket you've ever built? Interplanetary and Launchers Mostly

• 3 weeks later...
Launched and orbited this 100% legitimately. It's not all that special, other than being incredibly massive at 3,300 tons.

snip

She's beautiful! I can't wait to see the 'legit' video of it launching to orbit! Seriously, it's great to see a real rocket that can actually fly well(?).

here's my entry:

I call it MegaTanker:

It weighs 3,700 tons on the launchpad. SSTO. The lifter is 19 of my "Saturn SSTO" boosters. Costs 2,100,000 funds to launch but I recover ALL of the boosters usually at the KSC and get back over 1,500,000. The payload is a 360 ton interplanetary tanker that delivers 250 tons of fuel to Jool for 500,000 funds.

Nosecones were sacrificed for part-count. Still turns KSP into a slideshow.

sorry for the number of pics but I'm documenting my JOOL-5 challenge

Javascript is disabled. View full album

BTW: the tanker comes apart into 5 smaller tankers when it gets there.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

How about bases?

I made a small modification to my Habitat Module by removing the rear facing coupola and replacing it with a mono tank to makeup for the lost wieght.

Same build as my large mobile base without the large rover wheels.

Then added a separate Hub Module that will be used as a central docking hub where up to 4 Habitats could potentially dock.

TpChCotl.png

You can see 2 Sprites reflecting from the coupolas. "You looking at me?"

BYeqGF8l.png

With 3 Habitats docked, the frame rates drop to a crawl.

TA5ebHVl.png

Now at just over 1400 parts and 42 light sources, it is difficult for anything to operate within 2.3 km.

dxfsY5Fl.png

Another Sprite, this time much smaller, is seen in the closest facing coupola.

I don't know if I can take adding another Habitat Module. With 2 it is still playable with Kerbals and rovers running around.

With 3 it is down right impossible to right click on ladders and other objects.

Edited by Landge

Hi all,

I'm glad to present this crazy rocket. It is much more massive than efficient, but if you want to conquer the Solar System with a 1500 tons spacecraft, then this your rocket :)

Some figures:

- More than 600.000kN of Thrust

- Close to 50.000 tons at Lift Off

- Size: 164m Height x 65m Width (bottom) / 17m Width (Top)

Stages

- First Stage + Boosters: 15xF1A(10m-46.000kN). Delta-v: 2023 m/s

- First Stage: 7xF1A(10m-46.000kN). Delta-v: 4118 m/s

- Second Stage: 7 x RocketDyne F1A/B(5.5M 9400kN). Delta-v: 3589 m/s

Total Delta-V = 9731 m/s

LEO at 220km*220km

PmSs1Bx.png?1

Stock: A 3 Kiloton Eve-O-Launcher ;-) Brought to orbit empty (with an additional launcher stage - I don't remember the total weight...), and refueled by, if I remember correctly, 13 tankers. Then sent to Eve orbit, together with several tankers that brought along the fuel needed for its ascent. Docking the heavy ships was quite a feat, imho.

irfkZXd.jpg

With Mods: A probe for Mercury.

I've been putting together a ship to go to Moho with four parts. The main mothership up front, a large lander in the back, a stage with the lesser radial mechjeb and lotsa extra fuel in the middle, and another section with extra fuel just to increase the eccentricity around Kerbin to help with the escape burn. With all four sections it was over 1000 tons in orbit around Kerbin. 1.4 million even after recovering as much as I could. Getting lotsa fuel into orbit is really expensive, but really necessary for a high dV trip.

Stock (nearer than near stock, had near future construction parts)

6roobYk.png

Spacedock (from long ago)

1300 tons on pad

Near stock (released mod)

rG7Rb0a.png

Galactica 2: 5000 tons on pad, 1500 tons payload

Unreleased cruiser parts

haWFnNk.png

8000 tons on the pad, 8000 payload

Second biggest

BnbGoSc.png

7000 tons on pad/payload

Biggest rocket for me was not for any record or challenge but for my biggest payload.

My "Stupidly big launcher"

iSYIchz.jpg

She is 4320tn on the pad and at $2092000 per launch it's only used in sandbox :(

Made purly to transport 200tn to laythe :)

[spoiler=Made purly to transport 200tn to laythe :)]WrJGBg9.jpgLaythe Aircraft carrier "AC2" on arrival at laythe. had plenty to spare and managed to transport 8 of these all over laythe with ease :)

• 1 month later...

10001 Tons in 0.23.5 in stock + Mechjeb. There was a slight symmetry flaw on the upper stage (thanks to some impatience when fixing another flaw with it) - I'm pretty sure if this craft file is the fixed one, but it got 2ktons into orbit and I'm pretty sure it had enough oomph in upper stages to land and take off from at least a few of Jool's muns and return (the aim was to hit 4:)). Of course the trickiest landing was going to be the first - I forget the name, but the bigger moon with no atmosphere.

Here's soon after takeoff - you can see the first empty tanks being jettisoned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e3qqx5h9dcazll/screenshot18.png?dl=0

... and the interplanetary craft / refueller commencing the interplanetary trip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibeqrhk3tp7h261/screenshot25.png?dl=0

Now the craft file (please be nice if this fails, this is my first ever use of dropbox:)):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7515zl1wi9smxds/Wacko%2010001_1.craft?dl=0

Ummm, enjoy? Wish I could figure out the tags to inline those images.

My Eve launcher, 115m high, 6740t start mass, 700t to LKO, 420t to Eve surface with nuclear transfer stage. One and half stage to orbit, boosters + core stage. It can also work as SSTO (without boosters, only core stage), 460t to orbit.

evSxP01.jpg

More pictures: http://imgur.com/a/zU0qx#0

Edited by winged

Hi all, here is a little ship i made for a jool-5 mission

25978.7 tons on the launch pad, 1112 parts

2800 tons to 100x100 orbit....Oh yeah almost forgot it was nearly an SSTO just didn't finalize orbit as i didn't want all that junk lagging my other launches

The acceleration of a soggy biscuit,the turning circle of an OIL TANKER and the structural integrity of a snowflake on a hot tin roof

All lead to a fun/worrying launch (once in space things improved somewhat)

This was done in BETA

Craft is now dead as i have replaced my computer because the old ones hard-drive failed (RIP my stupidly oversize craft)

Apparently there is a launchpad under all that

u8MbNUD.png

kPxH8LV.png

The complete album

Edited by Gravaar

Hi all, here is a little ship i made for a jool-5 mission

25978.7 tons on the launch pad, 1112 parts

2800 tons to 100x100 orbit....Oh yeah almost forgot it was nearly an SSTO just didn't finalize orbit as i didn't want all that junk lagging my other launches

The acceleration of a soggy biscuit,the turning circle of an OIL TANKER and the structural integrity of a snowflake on a hot tin roof

All lead to a fun/worrying launch (once in space things improved somewhat)

This was done in BETA

Craft is now dead as i have replaced my computer because the old ones hard-drive failed (RIP my stupidly oversize craft)

Apparently there is a launchpad under all that

http://i.imgur.com/u8MbNUD.png

http://i.imgur.com/kPxH8LV.png

The complete album

http://imgur.com/a/JLsQ0

Wow, geez... that's more than double the mass of my largest builds, just looking at the "mass to orbit". Truly a massive monster. ;)

This is my previous interplanetary rocket Dragonaut VI, weighing 1229 t on the launchpad, capable of orbiting 170 t to LKO:

gIKf6qi.png

It never really flew for any mission because of 1.0. The previous model, Dragonaut V, was lighter (1135 t) and took me to Dres (and back) in 0.90; but this one suffered a lot from 1.0: Rhino was throttled down to 1 MN so TWR was <1 and I had to add 4 Kickbacks, aerodynamics forced me to add a heavy fairing, for some reason it became as controllable as a mountain, and clipping caused sudden and unexpected explosions of the rocket.

(Note that Dragonaut V could put almost 200t to orbit without any radial boosters, in 0.90)

Still, after quite a few failed tries, I managed to put it to orbit in 1.0.2 so it is the heaviest thing I've successfully launched and orbited.

And it is completely stock and looks like a real rocket, not a huge pile of Kerbodyne S3-14400 like others :sticktongue:

Guess my stock Chaos Star MK2 fits the bill with it's 1500 tons of payload :P (though a bit 'chaotic' upon separation :P) - was designed to use the largest possible fairings, while providing a large upper stage to allow strutting large and heavy payloads :P (mostly for massive fuel tank arrays though :P) - and it ends up being a cheap launcher / ton, with low part count (compared to the payload capacity :P)

sY2soEll.jpg

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115732-V1-02-Chaos-Star-MK2-1500-tons-to-LKO-launcher

i have two smaller more reliable version in the works though :P (1 with 1200 tons, the other 500 tons :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.