What's the Largest Rocket you've ever built? Interplanetary and Launchers Mostly

On 5 September 2013 at 3:40 AM, BigDog said:

An entire space station.

KSS-2.jpg~original

KSS-3.jpg~original

A pusher tug, I have a puller that might come in larger but I don't think I have pics of it.

TugProbeII-1.jpg~original

Gravity is off so I could get this pic on the pad. Stuff like this either has to launch IMMEDIATELY when the physics kicks in or gravity has to be hacked to prevent the sudden application of Kerbin's rotational force from ripping them apart.

TugProbeII-2.jpg~original

TugProbeII-3.jpg~original

The payload is the tug that is at the bottom, docked here with a failed (The Kraken ripped a stack off in translation) Eve lander.

TugProbeII-4.jpg~original

This is the tallest, it is as high as the VAB would let me stack parts. It has to launch with gravity hacked since it has a less than 1 TWR. It also bucks severely. This bucking seems to start at 4 orange tanks high. It is manageable at that height, much higher though and forget it.

GC-4.jpg~original

I have built an over 3500 part monster, but KSP died when I hit stage. Since then it has been bugged in the VAB.

I know this post was 3 years ago but OH MY GOD!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I built a rocket that is about 1650 meters tall weighing over 135,000 tons. It did take many test flights to get it into space. It's 3 times taller than the CN Tower and nearly 2 times taller than the Burj Khalifa. It did made it into orbit around Earth in RSS mod and might be capable to go to the Moon if configured correctly.

Video: https://youtu.be/dseiZHP9ipw

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2013 at 6:03 PM, LostElement said:

For some reason It won't let me post pics, but the largest one I've built was about 3000 tons. As far as interplanetary goes, 100 tons. Post a pic!

My current project only has its frame complete and is at 7000000 tons. Then again, It'll use hyperedit to get to orbit, as in theory it was built in space XD

My most massive vehicle on launch was Astarael, and I think it weighed around two thousand tonnes (most of which consisted of the dual Sarnus-derived 5m stack launch vehicles). Other than that, Phasma-class transports regularly reach masses of 700 to 1000 tonnes when fully laden with cargo (they don't weigh that much at launch because they're assembled from far lighter modules).

My largest functional rocket I made one side of it and there was no good way to make it stop spinning aside from copy-pasting the rocket to the top of the circumnavigator.

It mostly stabilly launched, but I forgot some struts so the bases of the rockets wobbled a lot til i got to a good orbit.  It did successfully get my 55 ton rover/base/circumnavigator to the surface of the moon.

9X5yICc.png

I may also take it to minimus too.

37 minutes ago, Chiron0224 said:

Good god man!  How have you not melted your graphics card?

He did.  About a year or so ago.  Whackjob hasn't been around much since then, so it should be fairly easy to find the post where he talks about it, if you search his posts.

Edit:  Found this post from the beginning of this month: 

Edited by MaxxQ

3 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

He did.  About a year or so ago.  Whackjob hasn't been around much since then, so it should be fairly easy to find the post where he talks about it, if you search his posts.

Didn't realize it was an old post.  Also I found the one about his processor melting.

I don't have any pics of these available, but there was Titania I. I basically built it out of tons of fuel tanks and mammoths in hopes that I'd get an epic explosion. I was not disappointed.

My largest PRACTICAL rocket was Titania II. It ended up transporting four full gigantic (the biggest 3.75m) fuel tanks to the surface of the Mun. Then I got bored and crashed it into the Mun arch.

If we step into another save file, you will find larger. Just click the link in my sig that says "Project Intrepid." For a short summary, there is a bunch of gigantic interplanetary motherships. The lifters for those are pretty huge. But Phase One (No spoilers) was designed to get 1500 tons of "Supplies" to the surface of Minmus. It needed a refuel from an equally gigantic rocket to do that, but it did the job.

Phase one:

OC0tpIe.png

Phase One Refueler:

8n1ZssT.png

Biggest vessel I made was back in 0.24 to go to Laythe

May have been a "bit" over-engineered and took an insane amount of time to develop, test and assemble in orbit but it got the job done

Can't remember how many parts it was made of, but it was several thousand

It consisted of 3 drive sections I connected to each other with 2 refuel landers with rovers (in the 2 cones) and a atmospheric plane with a rover bay

To get an idea how heavy it was ... the departure burn was 30minutes in game, but took 8 hours real-time :):)

screenshot28.pngscreenshot115.pngscreenshot116.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I launched my longest SSTO yet:

BmX19uh.png

It's not my largest per se, as it is is quite skinny and, being mostly empty, is far from my most massive ship so far, but it does take the cake as far as largest singular dimension goes. It was part of an attempt to succeed where @TapeGaming failed and build a 1km+ megastructure in orbit. Unfortunately it seems to have a problem with random self-perpetuating oscillations and I have since been forced to scrap this design.

On 9/27/2016 at 0:57 PM, parameciumkid said:

Yesterday I launched my longest SSTO yet:

BmX19uh.png

It's not my largest per se, as it is is quite skinny and, being mostly empty, is far from my most massive ship so far, but it does take the cake as far as largest singular dimension goes. It was part of an attempt to succeed where @TapeGaming failed and build a 1km+ megastructure in orbit. Unfortunately it seems to have a problem with random self-perpetuating oscillations and I have since been forced to scrap this design.

Looks like an Estes Mean Machine (google pic, not mine)

boyRocket.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.