[WIP] KerbolQuest Dev Thread (Powered by KerbTown)

HoY

It’s time to share this project with the community!

Some of you have seen the jetpack thread I posted a month ago, and know the name KerbolQuest, but have heard no details on it. I’m here today to fill in some blanks.

Basically, We’re taking the KSP everybody loves, and giving it a new angle. Making playable quests and missions unlike anything you’ve seen so far.

KSP has several limitations but at the same time it’s limitless. The KerbTown plugin has extended our limits farther than we could have hoped and I put this team of developers together to take full advantage of it.

Team member list by their forum names:

Team Lead - HoY

Lead Programmer - Razchek

Lead 3D Designer - jackstrauss

3D Designer - Cheebsta

3D Designer - Nazari

3D Designer - germalto

3D Designer - Loabstas

Content Designer - KhaosCorp

Content Developer - snjo

Content Writer - bellino

Content Writer - KSK

Sound Designer - little square dot

Some of the work we’ve done so far towards making our RPG experience includes:

• Unlockable items you need to complete quest objectives to gain access to in your assembly building (Jetpack as example 1)

• Kerbal Personal Inventory

• Customized EVA Seat code that allows us to manipulate the kerbal model unlike anything previously done

• Major accomplishment: Adding new Scenes to the game. Many of our quest locations will have an “Inside†that isn’t in the Flight scene where your ships and kerbals are. You will enter new scenes by walking over the thresholds of the locations and be given control of our own custom made kerbals, in our own custom built world. None of the flight scene will be loaded while inside the new scenes. Also the scenes will not be loaded upon game start, increasing game performance while giving us freedom to use top quality models and textures.

What we need:

Artists:

Specifically some people that can take a finished or near finished 3d Model and apply textures to it to suit our needs

Scripters and Programmers:

We always need more people for this. As a programmer we will encourage you to bring your own ideas into the mix. The inventory was Snjo’s idea and he ran with it right away.

Unity Pro’s:

All of our quest locations will be modeled in pieces, then placed together in scenes in unity. People with experience in Unity creating scenes and scripting various functions (even one or two people will be enough for now)

Animator:

Currently I’m relying on my cousin who works for another game development company, however his time for this project is very limited. A KSP fan that can do character animations (and various other moving creations) would be a big help

We do have our own forums set up over at

http://kerbtown.hubs.co.nz/

We primarily use it for working on the storyboard in the hidden dev section, however if you like you can join us there in general chat. Later the forum will be expanded to include all of the bug reporting and public development forums as well.

Here is a very short video showing the new scene loading, and the central location that nearly all of the quests will start from. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress!

KerbolQuest, Powered by KerbTown

Edited by HoY

You'll need to collect the parts for the pack, and take them to the Rocket Lab at KSC, then take some more parts to a processing plant off planet then bring them back again. After that you'll be given full time access to the jet pack, which will be needed right away to get to a location at the end of chapter 1 :)

Well.. that cat's out of the bag now.

So yeah.. KerbTown will eventually allow people to create "new scenes" to play inside. For now though I'm reserving it for this project! :)

We have a large schedule ahead and hope to acquire the support of the community along the way!

Besides.. I need to rework the serializer code I wrote for my business to make it work for KSP anyway haha.

Not everyone has access to their business's license for Unity.

Edited by Razchek

mrrpamplemousse :

We thought about that, or making our own building all together but as a group decided the tracking station would be the best spot for it. We will be using long range communication technology to call Admiral Kerman for mission dialog, that means comms array. We could build one but why not use whats already there?

germalto:

sent you a PM

All sounds awesome-sauce! Esp this part:"

• Customized EVA Seat code that allows us to manipulate the kerbal model unlike anything previously done"

This i thought so long about but my attempts failed or wasnt as good as i wanted, can you share more info about this bit? Does the kerbal model have joints?

And a personal inventory (!:o)

The videos you have posted made me and alot of other people exited i bet! Cheers

Yes it lets us manipulate how the kerbal model is animated in his seat, to some extent. Razchek is playing with it in his free time as its low priority and quite complicated he says, since its fighting against the FSM (I believe he called it that)

I would love to be a modeler for you, I am an architect so Im sure Im up to par

Here is a little pic of my WIP work for a client

http://i.imgur.com/zbMrXBN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2GJ9Uam.jpg

embedding isn't working so please bare with me

This is just a low poly Freedom Towers model

http://i.imgur.com/yn28P8G.png

And here is an airport model That I made for my firm when we were trying to get a contract to build an airport

http://i.imgur.com/ZSc7Bg7.png

Edited by Loabstas

ATTN:

We have some amazing talent in the coding and geometry departments, but we really need a dedicated texture artist or two. There are a wide range of things to be painted; structural, organic, high tech, natural, a little bit of everything really. We could use some more help in this department as the workload is currently pretty high for those doing it (most are also modelling at the same time). Prior experience is a massive plus, though not really a requirement. It is imperative that you show some work you've actually done though, but said work doesn't have to be a texture. Basically, we don't want to end up having to teach someone how to use Photoshop or GIMP, but do not mind familiarizing someone with working on UV mapped images. UV mapping is also not something you have to worry about doing, we'll get them to you in whatever way works best for how you're gonna paint them, so you'll just have to paint and consult on how you'd like the UV laid out or changed.

Please contact HoY or myself via PM if interested, or even just right here in the thread is fine too.

Thanks. :)

You're making KSP more RPG-ish? That is cool :D

What about Kerbal workplaces and stuff? What about your own props for cockpits to represent things like snacks? Coffee mugs?

How's it look? I will texture it soon. Please tell me what you think, maybe you can add it to your mod in a way! :D

EDIT: I forgot, I can't texture. ;.;

Well, maybe you can...? That is, if the model is worthy of your mod... ;.;

Edited by Naten

Wow, this is going to be huge!!! You could combine some quests with our Kerbin City or make an expansion pack happening in Kerbin City =)

I can also help with texturing (or modeling, but I see you lack more texturers), you can see my previous works (including Kerbin City or Dromoman) or the stuff from here: http://nothkemods.wordpress.com/ I used to do very realistic stuff, but since I started doing KSP I am learning more cartoonish-high tech KSP style.

I am also (in this very moment) working on the spinoff of my KASPAR racks with an R&D twist to it. I intend it for the R&D functionality of upcoming 0.22, but it sounds like something that could fit very well in KerbolQuest

Edited by nothke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.