[WIP] Bahamuto Dynamics (Dockable Fairings) 11/5/13

BahamutoD

Hmm, yeah I am using boxes for the feet colliders since the foot models are too small and clip into the terrain. It seems to get stuck with either one though. I shall try a capsule.

Edit: Actually... I feel like the problem is something else, since this sticking problem is only happening with ModuleAnimateGeneric...

Edited by BahamutoD

Hmm, yeah I am using boxes for the feet colliders since the foot models are too small and clip into the terrain. It seems to get stuck with either one though. I shall try a capsule.

Edit: Actually... I feel like the problem is something else, since this sticking problem is only happening with ModuleAnimateGeneric...

Hmm, how about... Does the thrust collide with the foot collider? I didn't think this mattered if they are part of the same part, but maybe something with the animation module is changing that?

Edited by Cheebsta
Forgot quote XD

Hmm, how about... Does the thrust collide with the foot collider? I didn't think this mattered if they are part of the same part, but maybe something with the animation module is changing that?

I don't think that's it either.. once it's in the air, it flies with no problem. Also, I'm now to the point where it will finally launch after a couple seconds of full thrust when in folded position, and sometimes in extended.

W3AJbkjh.jpg

How's that? haha. But seriously, the mk1 might be too small to fit any useful amount of fuel unless the bolt-on part is much bigger than the pod itself.

how about making ones for the mk1 and mk2 lander cans or you might as well have make the service module for the command pod mk1 bigger than it anyway

Okay so I tried HLandingLeg as well, and it still gets stuck... I'm so stumped! Why does it work perfectly with ModuleLandingGear (besides the weightless issue) and not with ModuleAnimateGeneric or HLandingLeg??? I'm going to try the Firespitter animation module, but I'd rather have it not require firespitter =/

Edit: Tried FSanimateGeneric, same issue. So its probably some collider problem which I have no idea how to fix k_undecided.gif

Edited by BahamutoD

A thought on a mkI SM: The service module would not need to be very large, given the mass of the mkI pod, nor would it need a lot of dV. Who wants to send a 1 man mission to Duna? That said, a 0.25m SM would need to be reasonably large, considering its need to have some realistic fuel capability. (Although a small SM with an unrealistic amount of fuel would be extremely stable upon reentry, given the unnatural mass/drag ratio.)

(KSP needs a better aero model, doesn't it?)

I am thinking this idea may make it land a little funny, but if you don't mind yet another test, try animating a single large collider along with the legs rather than individual colliders for each leg just to see if it makes a difference. I begin to wonder if the issue is the 4 colliders "pushing against each other", for lack of a more descriptive phrase, and causing a pincher effect holding you to the the terrain.

I didn't try it exactly the way you said but I did redo the animation so it pushes the ground straight down so no possible pinching effect would occur.

I spent almost the whole day today and yesterday trying to figure out this problem. The thing will stick to the ground and wont lift off if any colliders attached to animated objects touch the ground while landed. Only when the animation lifts that object off the ground will the ship be freed. It's not just the foot colliders but also if the bay door colliders are touching the ground, same issue. I'm really getting frustrated and I really want to move on to making other parts so if anyone has any idea why this is happening, or can point me to an example of another landing leg using ModuleAnimateGeneric that has or doesn't have this problem please help me out!! I'll give you cookies!

Solutions I've tried:

-Setting the mesh collider to an empty game object which is parented to the feet (instead of putting the mesh collider on the feet).

-Trying all different kinds of colliders (the ones in unity like spheres, boxes, etc, simple mesh boxes imported from blender)

-Re-animating using bone armatures instead of just parenting objects to each other, then setting the colliders to the bones instead of the meshes.

-Moving the thrust transforms around in case they were getting stuck under the ground or inside colliders

-parenting the thrust transforms to different objects

-fixing the animation initial frame

-using convex and normal colliders

-setting the colliders to the foot meshes when technically only the bones are being animated (this attempt made it so parttools wouldnt write the part at all)

Idea.

Try making the legs completely separate - one model for each of the four, even - and attach them to the main body of the lander with MODEL{} nodes. I.e. weld your part from separate components.

I have a suspicion it will behave very differently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.