[WIP] Bahamuto Dynamics (Dockable Fairings) 11/5/13

BahamutoD

my Lander Legs work the same way, and i dont hav that Problem. (Baad English, sorry)

Its the DEM Mod, maby i can help you to solve the Problem ? send a PM, maby with a .blend file & the .cfg.

The Leg protection Boxes are different Animations (triggers) or the same as the Landing Leg triggers ? (Button)

Edited by Thorenn

Do engines create thrust properly when the legs are extended? It's possible collision boxes of extended legs are blocking exhaust - engines still work, visual effets are in place, but engines do not create any thrust. I've seen it once in another mod with radial engines.

Suggestions:

-Try adding a bunch of solids radially mounted and see if it still sticks. That sounds like joke, but it is meant to test mass.

-Create a platform of structural plates (B9 may be a good idea due to the large collision box) suspended in the air by launch clamps and see if the legs clip through that.

-Overheat and destroy (using sepratrons) the SM while it is stuck to the pad/ground and see what happens.

-it still stuck with a bunch of I beams radially mounted.

-it stuck to a platform made of stock plates

-it overheated and blew up. lol

I also made a new part to test if that would stick. Just a basic leg that slides down. Didn't stick. Then added thrusters to it. Still didn't stick. So that rules out thrusters in conjunction with animated colliders being the problem. I don't know why its just this specific part... stumped

edit: wait did you mean have it hoisted up by a bunch of solids radially mounted? not sure how you're testing for mass.

I am thinking this idea may make it land a little funny, but if you don't mind yet another test, try animating a single large collider along with the legs rather than individual colliders for each leg just to see if it makes a difference. I begin to wonder if the issue is the 4 colliders "pushing against each other", for lack of a more descriptive phrase, and causing a pincher effect holding you to the the terrain.

I used your solution for now. It works! But does have a funny wobble when it lands. This will have to do for now; all attempts with multiple colliders have amounted to nothing but frustration.

Original post updated.

This mod has become something I am interested in downloading, but I do not have any 3.75m parts (assuming that is the size of the bottom of the SM). Any suggestions on good part addons to fill the 3.75m gap? I was thinking KW Rocketry, but that does not seem to be updated.

I know there have been many threads like this (mod suggestion, etc) in the past, but they all seem to suggest KW primarily.

EDIT: Not interested in Novapunch either, it's a bit huge and doesn't look great IMO. Remember that the WR/SIDR parts were made to fit the stock parts as they appeared in 0.8-0.9.

Edited by DisarmingBaton5

Stretchy Tanks. One tank fits all. :-) Seriously, I don't use any other cylindrical tanks anymore.

Mind you, the mounting plate on the bottom of this part is 2.5m anyway, the edges of the cone protrude beyond that and taper back to 2.5m.

I will use this part to build escape pods for my space station :) Maybe even as orbital taxi. Suggestion: Built-in parachutes ;)

Wouldn't the CSM flip over if it had parachutes in its intended configuration? Additionally, Service Modules are generally meant to be expendable/retrieved separately, meaning parachutes on the SM would be useless to the CM.

Bahamuto, a suggestion for the leg colliders: Why not have 1 collider that stretches from the center (of the SM) outwards, like so?

(Behold the power of unrefined ASCII art!)

+++++++

/_,--------,_\

If ++++ is the bottom of the SM and everything else is an outline of the landing leg collider.

I used your solution for now. It works! But does have a funny wobble when it lands. This will have to do for now; all attempts with multiple colliders have amounted to nothing but frustration.

Original post updated.

I was kind of worried even that wouldn't work, lol. Does it completely destroy the illusion of 4 separate legs? That is what I was worried about mainly. I don't think there is a way to stop the wobble. My packs are just using a simple box and still do that, unless you set them down kinda hard, and then I think you just don't see it.

@Disarming, part colliders pretty much have to be convex. They "work" when they're not, but not very well, and they're a much bigger hit performance wise.

Hi! Is your baby still creating zero g? I went through the thread and didn't see any further mention of it from my last reply. (I could be blind though. ;)). It was an interesting ride when I docked it to my much larger ship. Whole thing went wonky. Lol! To make matters worse i had the stage I used to bring up the lander close by and it was rotating very close and was about to hit the docked vessels. So I whipped out my lazors and blasted it in true spaceman spiff fashion. It didn't quite do the job so I blasted it again. With the docked vessels rotating from being wonky I manage to hit myself with one of the beams. Yup! Blew myself up in true spaceman spiff fashion. LOL! That was a very funny evening. Looking forward to updates. :)

Open to suggestions.

Would something like this be possible?

Basically three parts: a heat shield; a lander stage and a return to orbit stage.

Something with enough Delta V for Laythe and Duna.

It looks like the center engine may be used twice ( landing and take off ) and goes all the way down a central hole.

fSjkW2Y.jpg

fD3ONQ4.png

eciyYd6.png

5XlkVYL.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.