[WIP] Bahamuto Dynamics (Dockable Fairings) 11/5/13

BahamutoD

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Since the forum was down, I was continuing to learn how to use Blender, and trying to make a worthy video using the hollow docking rings and the service module. I was trying to make a single or double launch land and return mission to eve, but since I play with FAR in my modded game version, it was really difficult.. heh I may have to disable it for this mission. Anyways;

I have tinkered with the service module's collision mesh to make it so the framerate doesn't get cut in half. I'll upload that soon.

@Bouncingbunny, that might be beyond my current ability, but the folks responsible for KerbolQuest have made a winged jetpack thing which is kinda cool like that. You should check it out.

I'll probably jump back into working on KSP stuff this week.

What I mean is a docking ring which has no centre; a torus, or hoop. It could be mounted inline below an engine, and have the engine exhaust blow through the ring. I believe the docking clamp you are making already is equivilant to this, but additionally has fairings on the side of it.

Thanks!

Okay so I tried out making just the ring, and it works well under most engines. The nuclear engine doesn't work though, since the fairings are jettisoned when you stage the engine, so the docking ring just hovers there under the engine. I might remodel and/or retexture the docking rings, so when I make a new batch, I'll include that fairingless ring.

I'm also working on a shielded Sr. docking port, since I need one for a craft I'm working on.

UhrAfZ.gif

You may want to make the shield animation stop at 180 degrees as it may interfere with parts behind it. If it was placed on the Fustek k1 truss (a radial attachment but with a node) for example it would hit the truss.

Yeah, I plan on making a separate version the way you describe it. The reason this one folds all the way down is because I'm making a reusable second stage (like the Falcon 9's) where it starts open since it's in the middle of the stack (and the shields are flat against the rocket), and then closes as a heat shield for reentry.

But now that I think about it.. there's a better way I could have made a dockable heatshield...

What do you think about giving the plates aerodynamic properties, so when they are deployed at 180 degrees, they act as an air brake?

Edited by BahamutoD

It seems like an interesting idea, but I can't really imagine what it would be used for. The heatshield would have to be facing prograde for it to function, and I guess then the whole craft would be flipped to have it serve as an air brake, and then flipped once again for landing? Maybe I am just visualizing this incorrectly, but it seems a little strange.

Okay so I tried out making just the ring, and it works well under most engines. The nuclear engine doesn't work though, since the fairings are jettisoned when you stage the engine, so the docking ring just hovers there under the engine. I might remodel and/or retexture the docking rings, so when I make a new batch, I'll include that fairingless ring.

Thanks for that, BahamutoD. Also, I enjoyed your take on the intro music.

It seems like an interesting idea, but I can't really imagine what it would be used for. The heatshield would have to be facing prograde for it to function, and I guess then the whole craft would be flipped to have it serve as an air brake, and then flipped once again for landing? Maybe I am just visualizing this incorrectly, but it seems a little strange.

Well I was thinking if the docking port is at the top of a rocket and engines are at the bottom, it would enter prograde so the heatshield is at the front, then once you're well into the atmosphere the airbrakes flip the rocket over so the engines are pointing down for powered landing.

Thanks for that, BahamutoD. Also, I enjoyed your take on the intro music.

No, thank you, the ring was a good idea.

Well I was thinking if the docking port is at the top of a rocket and engines are at the bottom, it would enter prograde so the heatshield is at the front, then once you're well into the atmosphere the airbrakes flip the rocket over so the engines are pointing down for powered landing.

Alright that makes sense. Keep up the good work. :)

I like your work on the large dockingport. It always seemed a bit strange that only the medium docking port has a version with a cover.

I do have a suggestion on (another type of) dockingports. A radially attachable, extending docking port, round or square, with a (much) larger range as the current one. The last one always has the problem that some parts one the side of a craft are in the way, thus preventing docking.

Even better would be a docking port which doesn't need a counterpart on the other craft . In the same way attachable as the robotarms or the KAS.

I like your work on the large dockingport. It always seemed a bit strange that only the medium docking port has a version with a cover.

I do have a suggestion on (another type of) dockingports. A radially attachable, extending docking port, round or square, with a (much) larger range as the current one. The last one always has the problem that some parts one the side of a craft are in the way, thus preventing docking.

Even better would be a docking port which doesn't need a counterpart on the other craft . In the same way attachable as the robotarms or the KAS.

The extending one I can do, but I don't know how to do a magnet type thing.. I haven't looked into plugin writing yet.

How far do you think it should extend? 2 meters or so?

• 2 weeks later...

I love your mods B. You filling all the niches I was planning to do myself. Service/lander module is a must in every rocketeer's space program. Recently i stumbled upon problem how to hide all the science and service stuff below the pod - answer: Hollow fairings. I'm still not sure about shielded docking-ports, but I'm definitely gonna find a use for them... Keep making m8.

I think I've come across a bug with the Mk1-2 propulsion system. In the VAB, if it is attached to my ship and I try to grab it and move it off to the side (where it would be transparent), I can't seem to let go of it. My only options are to reattach it to the ship or toss it back into the parts selection panel. I've never had this issue with any other part.

In any case, I really like it. I've been testing a bunch of different landing capsules recently, and this simple addition to the stock part really works nicely.

I think I've come across a bug with the Mk1-2 propulsion system. In the VAB, if it is attached to my ship and I try to grab it and move it off to the side (where it would be transparent), I can't seem to let go of it. My only options are to reattach it to the ship or toss it back into the parts selection panel. I've never had this issue with any other part.

In any case, I really like it. I've been testing a bunch of different landing capsules recently, and this simple addition to the stock part really works nicely.

I noticed that bug as well. I've seen it in rare occasions in other mod parts too but I have no idea what is causing it.. I'll see what I can do.

Regarding the Shielded Senior Docking Port: My download only contains TWO parts, the folder for one of the parts that starts closed contains model and mesh files, but no config file, therefore no part. :) I didn't have a chance last night to see which one, I was messing with something else. Thought you should know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.