[WIP] Bahamuto Dynamics (Dockable Fairings) 11/5/13

BahamutoD

Actually, a thought. Can you make all four engines a separate, but a single part, attaching to a separate node somewhere in the center of the model? This way the side panels for mounting engines of user's choice can remain and if your specially designed engine is used, the part count only grows by one.

(Yes, my computer is old and I'm highly sensitive to part counts. :) )

Maybe.. I'd rather not make parts that can _only_ work on my SM though.

For now, an update on what I've done today/yesterday:

Angled attachment nodes aren't allowed so I had to widen the body a little bit to allow flat surfaces for engines. Made custom engines with an experimental angle switching animation.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I like the thought of being able to slap any stock engine I want on there, but they are not powerful enough to replace what you have.

If you are interested in balancing this well with the stock parts, then in my opinion this thing is a little bit too powerful (1.8TWR). It's like there's a LVT engine hiding in there.. it's like having 6 or 8 of the rockomax radials. And it does look like 8 jets soo I guess so. But none of the comparative engines are getting 390 ISP. 320 or 300 would be a more appropriate ISP considering how compact and powerful they are. The weight doesn't seem too far off but I would expect it to weigh another ton or so as well.

just my $0.02. :)

edit:

actually it looks like the fuel tank i was comparing it to is practically the same size. volume wise this does not computer with all the extra bits you have in there and RCS fuel. It should carry less fuel, something more realistic. Maybe 70% as much? this will reduce weight, and thrust requirements.

I realize anyone can tweak the cfg with notepad. I just would like to see this jive with the other parts well and not be "cheaty". what do you think?

Edited by automcdonough

I took your balance thoughts into consideration and lowered thrust, ISP, and capacity slightly.

Updated main post with v0.3 which includes the .625m engine mounts, and a new .625m engine. Thrust angle can be toggled with action groups.

I think that the SM is pretty stable now and I can start working on new parts. :)

Cool. :)

The diverting engines are fun.. for a good time turn them 90º to the side when mounting.

9HYuIkr.png

I'm sure the inside of that pod has a nice coating of green now!

The normal rockomax doesn't quit fit without turning off clipping. I do feel that it's balanced better.

for kicks i tried putting a jet on the bottom and an intake on top of the pod. it was air deprived. I'm not sure which module/point isn't transferring all the resources. If I put an aerospike on the bottom it worked fine.. and deploying the legs didn't bump it off! bonus.

So how about that ladder? ;)

A preview of what I decided to work on now. (Inspired by katateochi's Constellation video.) You can mount engines and stuff inside a fairing that can dock! I've made 1.25, 2.5, and 3.75m versions but theres still a few things I need to polish.

I haven't had this problem. Is it only in the VAB? Anyone else getting a framerate drop?

Well, I also get yellow timewarp indicator when launched, but whether it's because it's night (it has been doing that lately during nighttime) or not, I can't say. VAB framerate drop, however, is very obvious.

A preview of what I decided to work on now. (Inspired by katateochi's Constellation video.) You can mount engines and stuff inside a fairing that can dock! I've made 1.25, 2.5, and 3.75m versions but theres still a few things I need to polish.

<SNIP>

Dockable fairings. WITCHCRAFT!!!

Seriously, where is the test for these?

Well, I also get yellow timewarp indicator when launched, but whether it's because it's night (it has been doing that lately during nighttime) or not, I can't say. VAB framerate drop, however, is very obvious.

Actually now that I had Fraps running, it dropped me from ~80fps to ~40. Yikes.. I'll look into it =(

I am slightly confused as to what purpose the dockable rings serve, but they sure do look cool! Isn't that all that matters?

No seriously, what purpose do they serve?

Basically for docking things with engines hidden. Also works great as a place to mount engine clusters in upper stages, or as a compartment to throw a bunch of batteries, RTGs, misbehaving Kerbals (watch out, they can open the fairing from the inside!), whatever you can think of.

Dockable fairings. WITCHCRAFT!!!

Seriously, where is the test for these?

Here you go!

Lemme know if there are any big problems.

Attaching stuff to the correct node can be tricky. But I'm pretty sure it works as intended.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.