The hardest thing in KSP for me is....

Dimetime35c

Rendezvous for me as well. Docking is alright, especially with docking cams, but it's getting inside that last km or so (depending on the size/capabilities of the ship) that can drive me nuts. What I do still have is a docking table which gives the distance to target for when you should burn to match orbits for varying heights (for Kerbin only, I need to find the equation so I can apply it to other bodies) to get close and efficient transfers. Using the table, if the orbits are solid and I don't goof the transfer or circularization burns, I can usually land inside a kilometre.

I'll be specific, landing on Mün. Seems easy for some, but for me and the 5 Kerbans I've killed, dozens of failed missions, it's pretty damn difficult. Conserving fuel and landing specifically. I haven't even gotten to the returning home part.

I haven't tried docking and such yet. Let's get the improbable feat of landing on Mün figured out first. Been trying all weekend.

Landing, can never judge how far off the ground is and when to burn, a few Mun Pancakes (only rovers not Kerbals) resulted and a lot of wasted fuel due to descending super slow. For kerbal landings I pack plenty of extra fuel and go really slow. Sometimes I let mechjeb do it but then mechjeb has caused several pancakes too.

Up until now, building a plane that stays intact, on the runway, and doesn't crash on takeoff. Only did it once, and have not been able to repeat it.But I also didn't get around to interplanetary missions yet :D

The hardest thing I have done so far is putting a manned lander on Moho and then getting it back to Kerbin again. Had to send out a refuelling rig twice as the original craft set off with a woefully inadequate amount on board. First one went to Moho, but used up most of the fuel it was carrying just to get there, which meant another had to go. That one had to rendezvous with the guys on a highly elliptical Kerbol orbit - Periapsis near Moho and Apo near Kerbin. Most tutorials on rendezvousing talk about getting an encounter at less than 5km; I was happy to get one on that orbit below 5000km!

Next difficult task I have been putting off is a manned lander to Eve. I have no doubt I can get something on to the surface to plant a flag, but I don't think my current abilities are up to designing something that will get the Kerbals back in to orbit again.

Hardest thing in KSP:

dealing with the lag that my insane interplanetary entire-base-and-station-in-one crafts (which is pretty much any attempt I make at the Lazarus mission) tend to induce.

Dealing with the FPS drop that the particle effects from cluster staging induce

lag complaints aside, planetary transfers are easy but actually getting the desired orbit seems to be a problem, a big problem for me. I've come into Jool retrograde multiple times.

EDIT:

forgot that SSTOs are near impossible. Every design I try has a fatal flaw. Then again, I design unconventional SSTOs and place heavy emphasis on a pre-concieved image rather than function.

Edited by Captain Sierra

It was making a plane like SSTO for me with at least 2 hitchhiker modules (all stock), BUT yesterday night I finally managed ! I was and am so Happy !!! Took off, docked with 100k m space station, unloaded 8 kerbals crew and landed back at KSC safely. Need another challenge now, in the meantime i'm rebuilding space infrastructure with new save created with in 0.21.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.