Orientation towards the object you are orbiting

I can determine my orientation towards KErbin by setting Mün as my target but what if I wanted an exact equatorial or polar orbit around Minums for example. Is there any way to determine that? I'd perfer to do it without a mod but if that's not (easily) possible, then I'll use whichever mod is suitable for this.

In the Jool system, the orbits of Laythe, Vall, and Tylo are equatorial and circular.Beyond that, you're pretty much limited, in-game to watching the maximum headingdifference between your orbital velocity marker and the 90° heading.If the heading direction of your prograde marker varies between 84° and 96°, then your orbit's inclination is 6°.

Any mod that has an information readout such as Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb should be able to tell you what your orbital inclination is. I know KER will also tell you how much time you have to the ascending and descending nodes as well for the most efficient inclination changes (not sure about MechJeb).

Any mod that has an information readout such as Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb should be able to tell you what your orbital inclination is. I know KER will also tell you how much time you have to the ascending and descending nodes as well for the most efficient inclination changes (not sure about MechJeb).

Thanks, guess I'll install mechjeb again. I would've prefered a mod that didn't need another part added, but if that's the only way...

If I'm understanding what you want, then the easiest way(without mods) of setting it up yourself is to get your retrograde and prograde markers on the correct spots on the navball.

For instance, if you want a Polar Orbit, you want the prograde or retrograde marker centered on the North line on the navball. Equatorial would be 90 or 270 line.

As far as I know, the navball is always correct in telling you which way is north etc. when in the sphere of influence of something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.