Bond Aerotech and Sundries [v0.4.3.1 31st March 2014]

NoMrBond

The only changes from here should be improving the UV unwraps and textures for existing models which shouldn't summon the krakken, I'm going to upload an updated stable pack a bit later tonight with the finalized names and meshes (ETA ~4 hours)

There's no hurry from my end -- I'm trying out different configurations of a lander-return vehicle that will actually be able to make it off of Eve and back into orbit to rendezvous with the service module without being so large I won't be able to launch it off of Kerbin. :) It's going to take a few days, I think.

At least F.A.R. cuts down on the delta-v requirement somewhat.

Consistency pass done, everything should now have it's intended name, cfg's updated and proper shading etc

The P125, SRV body and the Hex legs are still unfinished test parts though and these will likely change as their models are finished.

[Edit] Toying with the P125

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Not entirely convinced that's the right layout for it

[Edit2] Apparently UV island sharing is bad if you want shaders to work right, blarg, I just don't want to redo the unwrapping yet again.

Edited by NoMrBond

• 2 weeks later...
[Edit2] Apparently UV island sharing is bad if you want shaders to work right, blarg, I just don't want to redo the unwrapping yet again.

Not necessarily - my FusTek parts make use of lots of UV island sharing, and they work just fine with the standard KSP diffuse/bumped shaders.

Hrm, there should be doors for that already, although I did change the names since P1 etc where placeholders for 1st part, P2 for 2nd part etc while I was hammering out some ideas.

If you've got the latest alpha parts there should be B25 panel? unless I forgot something when I changed the names...

[Edit] ok I forgot to add the .cfg for the wall/panel to the directory, the model is there and everything. I'll fix that when I get home tonight. Should have the v2 of the P125 ready tonight at some stage too.

Not necessarily - my FusTek parts make use of lots of UV island sharing, and they work just fine with the standard KSP diffuse/bumped shaders.

Ah, that's great news, thanks. So many restrictions seem to have been lifted, I can start looking at specular and/or bump maps (or, you know, textures) and assess if they would contribute enough to the look to be worth it instead of re-UV'ing things.

Edited by NoMrBond

Ah, that's great news, thanks. So many restrictions seem to have been lifted, I can start looking at specular and/or bump maps (or, you know, textures) and assess if they would contribute enough to the look to be worth it instead of re-UV'ing things.

Still haven't had any issues with my Saturn V and UV island stacking(about 3/4 of the rocket is shared somehow).

-

Kolbjørn

Updated the new P125, I think that split is better even though the probe side walls and door panels aren't the same

Fixed the B25 parts (spelling mistake in the cap and missing .cfg for the doors)

Updated the download with the P125 and the B25 fixes

[Edit] Added 1 piece B25 'C' which comes capped but 'open plan' with no spindle/spokes

NYOuOKW.jpg

The B25 seems pretty low (2m high internal), not sure if that's really enough @ 2.5m diameter.

Edited by NoMrBond

Vanilla hollow walkways wasn't really giving me any pause, but T and X junctions and 90' bends were because of the convex collider limitatation (and how your parts will explode if you're not careful with the collider boundaries)

bj0GQDo.png

Can't quite handle it like the other parts but feels doable now (intending four separate colliders, one for each wall, can probably see the cuts)

Still thinking about how to make the X walkway junction though, pretty sure the idea I have for it is workable (even though it'll need six colliders).

Edited by NoMrBond

Being happy with the trial I made a walkway piece

The straight piece/s seemed super easy so I figured I'd start with something a bit more interesting

[Edit] Considering 1.25m sections, X junction and larger parts. Being basic structural it's tempting to just make the huge, say 5m size and lay in the 3.75/2.5/1.25m parts with rescaleFactor .cfg's

1.25m X junction

FYvpw3y.png

No UV or colliders yet but that's going to need to wait until tomorrow

Edited by NoMrBond

Great models, but there is a lot of normals mistakes (smoothing). I don't know how are they handled in Blender, but you should really fix them. Other than that it looks great =)

There's a lot of mods out there with same problems, great models, but normals are ruined.

I just about always forget to fix the shadows first time exporting, usually by getting ahead of where I am thinking about MODEL{} calls for the .cfg, or node locations

There are a lot of 'fixed shading on X' updates, I should really update the opening album pictures so the models don't have the bizzaro shading and I can tick off which ones still need fixing.

I had to look up that normal indicator after Lord Kitchener'ing myself on a few parts (cue facepalm), and one which just always came out non-manifold

No Mr Bond, I've been thinking about the way those 45 degree sections go together and was wondering if the same could be applied to truss sections? Quite possible I've missed a trick and there is an abundance of such things but as it's relatively easy to make the trusses (Tesselate and Lattice FTW) it wouldn't take me long to whip up a batch of all kinds of nifty angles...

Unless you wanted to be able to put stuff inside the truss sections (functionally solid) that sounds pretty easy, you could make/have the whole model and just cut up the colliders, or make sub units and stitch them together in-game with MODEL{} calls in the .cfg

This is what the elbow breaks down to in Unity (excuse my poor hierarchy)

You just need to work out how to cut them up to keep your colliders convex (without giving yourself an aneurysm from a hojillion of them) and not intersecting with each other

Edited by NoMrBond
accidentally a word

I see that in your walkway parts, you've inscribed a square within circular mating faces. I personally feel that such a design is structurally weak, due to the thin connection at the point where the vertex of the square meets the edge of the circle,

Perhaps reduce the size of the inner square such that some material remains between the outer and inner surfaces, or add a chamfer to the square's corners?

The square doesn't quite meet the edges of the circle (there should be 0.06m/6cm solid edge connection at each corner), however the texture at that point (in fact all the textures) are not great with the white edging, so it looks like it does, which isn't ideal.

The UV's need cleaning up, and all the placeholder textures need fixing.

[Edit] Cleaned up the UV's for the walkways, fixed the crappy seams and basic texture pass

Just got do decide on detailing, something attachment/docking looking on the circular arcs to it looks like they're locking together + maybe a normal which makes the locking part look like it's physically there

Getting some windows into the sides would be nice so you can look out/in too, should there be some kind of coving/moulding/beading in the square corridor corners (hrm, could put an emissive in those too).

Edited by NoMrBond

I see that in your walkway parts, you've inscribed a square within circular mating faces. I personally feel that such a design is structurally weak, due to the thin connection at the point where the vertex of the square meets the edge of the circle,

Perhaps reduce the size of the inner square such that some material remains between the outer and inner surfaces, or add a chamfer to the square's corners?

I think I totally missed what you were getting at and had one of those, ohhhhh moments

So yeah, making some coving

I don't think I'm going to make it collidable though, just for looks in the corners of the corridors.

[Edit2] Changed images for album. maybe I could change it a little bit and give it a really simple collider

Still not sure about how to put the windows in though, that DSSP workshop window got me thinking

Edited by NoMrBond

Updated the OP and .zip with most recent part revisions, the covings are not ready/in the WW125 parts yet though so the corners are still bare.

[Edit] Coving in the WW135 X junction

Ldit8pA.jpg

Need to fix the coving texture, copy the part over to the elbow, make some straight sections, adapters to 2.5m, 2.5m parts etc etc

Edited by NoMrBond

I don't think I'm going to make it collidable though, just for looks in the corners of the corridors.

[Edit2] Changed images for album. maybe I could change it a little bit and give it a really simple collider

Still not sure about how to put the windows in though, that DSSP workshop window got me thinking

Definitely not collidable, just for decoration. I found that the colliders for surfaces and Kerbals don't quite match up, they stand quite a long way into the floor on my tests with a "skin tight" version (always tinkering, rarely well). It may be worth setting the inner wall of each main collider to just cover the coving too so you could avoid clipping entirely without adding any trip hazards? Just a thought.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.