[1.0.2] Persistent Trails - record, share and replay track data! (May 14, V1.2)

SirJodelstein

well..the craft does have kerbpaint, but as we've seen by mareczex333s video (I'm actually using the raptor from that video, trying to do something similar to what he did) it doesn't seem to affect it. Any ideas as to why this would happen? Maybe too much lag? (12-15 FPS)

Please check what i wrote. The debug log should have information about whats happening. Thats what we need to sort this out. In addition, please check if your installation of PT is correct (ie. in Gamedata folder, and wether you have the GameData\PersistentTrails\PluginData\Craft folder.

Also, i have it set to high precision, but still when i turn there are ~2-3 meter long straight segments. Maybe just because of the speed? (180 mps)

2-3m straight segments while moving at 180 m/s. What is your problem here? This IS high precision and very smooth, just think about what happens during playback. The playback rushes over 60 to 90 of these "straight segments" per second. Thats already more than you can see on-screen even if the game ran at 50fps. Honestly, how much more smoothness do you want?

Umm... Peristent Trails just make craft moving on line. Line also records direction of craft. So you won't get smoke, because it's only moves on line. I belive that I can replace craft from recorded trail in video for for example Space Shuttle and it will "fly" like F-22 in video. Ghost craft is bugged a bit (it reminds me welding mod). KerbPaint is not working. Ghost craft have bugged landing gear. Always lowered. (even if I start raised from SPH) I was recording crafts without landing gear. Lights are bugged too. Few lights was on when reloaded one of my cars.

Please check what i wrote. The debug log should have information about whats happening. Thats what we need to sort this out. In addition, please check if your installation of PT is correct (ie. in Gamedata folder, and wether you have the GameData\PersistentTrails\PluginData\Craft folder.

2-3m straight segments while moving at 180 m/s. What is your problem here? This IS high precision and very smooth, just think about what happens during playback. The playback rushes over 60 to 90 of these "straight segments" per second. Thats already more than you can see on-screen even if the game ran at 50fps. Honestly, how much more smoothness do you want?

installation is correct, and the craft folder does exist, it even has the f-22 in it. Guess ill try the debug log next. Sorry for all this confusion...guess the preciseness is just more noticeable when everything is in slow motion. (seriously, 180 m/s is more like 40 when theres more than 200 parts loaded. thanks, computer. :P )

installation is correct, and the craft folder does exist, it even has the f-22 in it. Guess ill try the debug log next. Sorry for all this confusion...guess the preciseness is just more noticeable when everything is in slow motion. (seriously, 180 m/s is more like 40 when theres more than 200 parts loaded. thanks, computer. :P )

While the line is visibly broken up, I'm pretty sure the craft itself smoothly translates and rotates from one position to the next, so if you turned the line off, it should look smooth.

(Can't remember which of us wrote the final movement code for the playback craft)

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is awesome but I wonder and tested does the Skillfull bullets work with this collider? The skillful is a ID mod with bombs and guns and such, just wondering if the bullets collied? THX!

This mod is awesome but I wonder and tested does the Skillfull bullets work with this collider? The skillful is a ID mod with bombs and guns and such, just wondering if the bullets collied? THX!

Not currently.

It's possible I could listen for the ApplyDamage message that Skillful sends. Just depends on if it sends it only to proper parts or to any gameObject.

If it worked, I could tell the thing yo go off rails when it was hit.

Not currently.

It's possible I could listen for the ApplyDamage message that Skillful sends. Just depends on if it sends it only to proper parts or to any gameObject.

A ok! Thx for the quick comment!

Not currently.

So is this feature planned or not? :)

It depends on what's possible with InfiniteDice's Skillful code. He targets parts, but the playback vessels aren't parts. So I would need to have him add an additional amount of code for it to work. We'll just have to wait and see if it's feasible or not.

It depends on what's possible with InfiniteDice's Skillful code. He targets parts, but the playback vessels aren't parts. So I would need to have him add an additional amount of code for it to work. We'll just have to wait and see if it's feasible or not.

Oh okay! I shouldn't say anything, I can barely make mods work! But thanks anyway :)

So. No response to my debug screenshots? Maybe I'll just redownload when I get a fresh install and see if it works. (All of my installs are bound to have mod leftovers in them somewhere. Wish there was a way to clean everything but stock out. Kinda like the patcher, but also deleting unwanted stuff)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So. No response to my debug screenshots? Maybe I'll just redownload when I get a fresh install and see if it works. (All of my installs are bound to have mod leftovers in them somewhere. Wish there was a way to clean everything but stock out. Kinda like the patcher, but also deleting unwanted stuff)

Had to reply to this even though it's been a little while since it was posted.

Unless you have downloaded a mod that edits something OUTSIDE the GameData folder, or one that edited the Squad/NASA folders inside the GameData folder, all you must do to get a "fresh install" is to delete every folder inside GameData except for Squad and NASA.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble here. i have been trying to record a flight,and so when i start, i press the "record flight" button. when i press that the traill appears behind me. when i click the "add a log" button, everything is fine and a log appears, but every time i click "stop recording" the flight doesn't save. i would really like some help, like if im doing something wrong, can i get some help?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the UI needs some work..one button to start/stop recording.. So you know it is recording, and you know you saved it to a file!

Edit: I would like to use this on modded vessels, in what part of the code should I look where the "fake plane" is created ? public static GameObject findPartModel ?

Edited by MSD

Yes i know, the UI could use some work and there definitely should be an automatic persistence-dependend save. ATM, you need to click the "save tracks" button to actually save the current track (this works independently of wether you are currently recording or not). But as I am currently occupied with another project, this one will have to wait. If someone wants to contribute, just go ahead and submit a pull request :)

@MSD: Recording/Replay should work out-of-the-box for modded vessels as well. The code is in the CraftLoader.cs file.

I can see that now, I tried using it on a mod that used multiple models in one folder, so this code:

newModel = GameDatabase.Instance.GetModelIn(cfg[i].parent.parent.url);

Failed, I changed it to:

modelPath = cfg[i].parent.parent.url + "/" + modfiedPartName;
newModel = GameDatabase.Instance.GetModel(modelPath);

And that failed also, (not for all parts) because it assumes the partname is the same for the model. So the problem was more with that mod, than it was with this mod.

The problem I ran into with loading the models is that there are a couple of different schemes historically.

It used to be either model.mu or a cfg specified blabla.mu. Now there is also the model node system with some other possible name.

The problem is that if it's not using the standard name, in some cases it's not possible to fetch the proper model file name without doing a lot of hacky parsing.

That wouldn't be a problem if you could just assume that the only available mu file in the folder was the right one. However, you can add many, many .mus and .cfgs in one folder, so in those cases where the name can not be guessed, there is no known solution.

It would be hacky, so perhaps 3; model.mu, partname.mu and first mu, thats what I am using now.

I downloaded the source from github so I at least could change some things, but have no clue yet how to make a pull request.. oh well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.