EXPANDED Munshine Launcher Family - 10-100 tons to orbit!

Wayfare

I've heard of lithobraking, but lithothrusting?

The longest I've flown that rocket with a 160 ton payload intact was 00:01:50 MET. I want to see someone beat that.

Edit: I got to 2 minutes 20 seconds! The rocket disintegrated 4 seconds after first stage separation.

Edit2: It seems that the structural failures are the result of how the payload is strutted to the launcher, as every failure started from the connection between the payload and the LV (the SAS modules). I'll have to reposition those.

Edit3: Finally used all of its fuel. It didn't make it to orbit. :(

Edited by Giggleplex777

Another recurring issue I've had with ultra heavy lifters is that they always put a lot of stress over a single point, the connection between stages. My usual solution has been to just place tons of struts between the lower stage and the one above it and hope for the best. Unfortunately, this often fails.

I was thinking that this could possibly be solved by clever use of docking ports, similar to the way you might use them to get a quad coupler to link up properly on bottom, as seen here:

http://youtu.be/t_3BxnxSOz4?t=2m6s

I will try this and report back.

[Edit]

The docking ports are built with a tiny gap between them so they dock when physics load. This allows you to have fairings on all outboard engines. This is handy for aesthetic purposes.

DJTimGw.png

Y7oSW43.png

May not be great for the Munshine series, since they're supposed to be low part-count. Unless on balance, they require fewer struts?

Edited by GusTurbo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.