BSC (Better Stock Crafts) - Aeris 3a - Yet another winner!

Xeldrak

Well, another 24 hours are over and:

vGqnOc4.jpg

antbin wins clearly with 13 votes! Tied on second place are Mulbin and brobel with eight votes! It was fun once again to see and talk about all your designs. Thank you guys for participation.

You can download the top3 in a single .zip >>HERE<<

Primary elections are done! Time for the grand finale! You can vote over

here!

Please drop a few line who you've voted for!

Final elections will run for 24 hours.

c8x7bCR.jpg

Also check the orignal posts for more pictures and stats on the finalists

Primary elections have started! Vote

here!

Please drop a few line who you've voted for!

Primary elections will run for 48 hours - the six best entries will enter the final 24h-election!

Please check the challenge guidelines - even if you just want to vote!

miyds8a.jpg

Remember to come back in two days!

As you all should know by now, the stock crafts in KSP are horrible for the most part. So I challenge you to come up with a replacement craft.

The last challenge just finished yesterday, with Mulbin as a clear winner but for reasons I'll explain in a few we'll start with the next one right now. Please read the stuff I've typed, there are a some minor changes in the format this time.

Please check the challenge guidelines - even if you just want to vote! This is where I've outsourced all the rules.

Didn't you say one week between the challenges? Aka. How is this going to work?

Thing is, I'm leaving the country on September 16th for 1-2 weeks without internet, so we can either run another challenge or wait for up to 3 weeks. Since there were several people who seem to be anticipating the next challenge, I won't let you wait this long. Because that's in one week, I'll have to modify the challenge-rules. This time you got 72 hours to build your craft - that's only three days. Please remember - I'd hate to turn down entries just because you didn't realize. Afterwards we will spend three days with voting - if we have enough entries, we will have primaries first.

What are we doing this time?

As you allready know, we are doing the Aeris 3a

9281886371_f877722049.jpg

Well, this one is actually a rather good Plane - still, I encourage you to come up with something better ;) If you can, drop a few line why you plane is better :P

Now, I'm a little more specific about the replacement this time. Since there are still other planes to get a challenge, this time I want something that can have a short range, has to fly well, be maneuvrable and stable. Basically a plane you can use to get used to the airplane controls and get some basic aircraft-design ideas. No speed or altitude records needed, this time.

For inspiration, I picked a rather odd choince this time:

BUa5tk8.jpg

So basically, you craft can be anywhere between a Messerschmitt Bf 109, a Cessna, a Grumman Hellcat and a Learjet. Yes, I know - there are no propellers in KSP - that's just to emphasize, that speed is not the goal here.

Edited by Xeldrak

Love your plane Giggle, is that your entry? :D

On part clipping:

I added the line

-Try to avoid exessive part clipping, a new player should be able to take your ship apart, learn how it works and put it back together
to the challenge guidelines - so please remember ;)

I think the current problems with wheels may make this challenge a bit more difficult. I can't help but notice that the default behaviour of landing gear is now to bounce your craft around like a crazy thing and blow the plane up. Even with the stock craft, mind.

Well looks like i'm kicking this one off with.....

The BSC Sprite

nbfttM3.jpg?2

After literally minutes of design and testing, I'm proud to release "The Sprite" a 2 kerbal atmospheric plane weighing in at only 7.34 Ton and a measly 58 parts.

Features only 1 central fuel tank so weight shifting in flight is no problem and nearly totally concealed landing wheels when folded in to keep her streamlined and free from lumps and bumps.

Easy to fly, just engage the SAS and power up, the rear landing gear and tail end will lift first and level out then the rest of the craft will follow and your airborne and gracefully cruising the skies!

I tried to keep the part clipping to a minimum, but that said i build for looks and have clipping on as default so i really couldn't say how much is clipped. Will add a flight vid when i have a bit more time.

Craft file >>>HERE<<< and rest of the pics ↓ there

Javascript is disabled. View full album

*EDIT* just been flying this about a bit more and taking video and i better mention that this plane needs to be landed slowly it takes off at about 50-60m/s and landing at close to that speed is also advised, unless you like your Kerbal's as green stains on a runway!

oh and make sure the breaks are fully disengaged before throttling up or you end up with your nose buried in the runway :D

Edited by Karmacoma
adding info and vid

Sorry, just realized that my previous entry had it's back wheel duplicated for no reason oO, fixed entry:

Kerbalicious Mk1,5

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b65630yg0e1sbnj/Kerbalicious-%20FIXED.craft

Small, fast & agile aircraft. Will take off the runway hands-free. Won't spin out or oversteer. You can do some pretty extreme turns. Can go 90 degrees up right after taking off. It's flyable without ASAS but it's easier with. Can even be flown if one of the engine is lost. (See screenshots)

old Screenshots (Still mostly apply):

Old entry:

Kerbalicious Mk1

There is almost no part clipping. While it might not look as spectacular, it flies really well. It's not suited to go up very high, but you can turn/pitch/roll really easy, fast and without spinning out of control. Taking off is pretty darn easy too. With this thing you can do crazy sharp turns but it wont ever oversteer. A video of me flying it is going to come later.

The only downside is that you cannot land it at super high speed like some other crafts. It's still easy to land, you just wont be able to do it with 200 m/s.

Craftfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zoo7pob6mbzfkt/Kerbalicious%20Mk1.craft

(Note: I use a bunch of mods on my installation but made SURE I used ONLY stock parts. If for some reason my craft file does not work, I'll temp disable all my mods and upload a new craftfile :) )

Edited by CreeperShift

Shortened build time and a plane... Think I will just be voting for this one.

Main problem I see is that the description in the OP for this challenge

this time I want something that can have a short range, has to fly well, be maneuvrable and stable. Basically a plane you can use to get used to the airplane controls and get some basic aircraft-design ideas. No speed or altitude records needed, this time.
seems to fit the Aeris 3a better. Since the description of the Ravenspear states that it is supposed to be a "fast, high-altitude aircraft"

We will have another challenge for fast, high-altitude aircraft in time, probably with a replacement for the Mk.3 - it's just rather hard to assign a specified role to each of the stock crafts. So I decided, that the Ravenspear Mk1 shall be replaced with what I described.

Actually I agree with Rhomphaia, the Ravenspear series are more for the extremes; high altitude for Mk1, suborbital high altitude testing for the Mk3, and low altitude high speed for the Mk4. The Aeris 3a is at the very top of the list of stock crafts in alphabetical order, so it's even the one most newbies look at first and is the easiest to fly. It's even described as the "training craft" for Kerbal pilots.

We will have another challenge for fast, high-altitude aircraft in time, probably with a replacement for the Mk.3 - it's just rather hard to assign a specified role to each of the stock crafts. So I decided, that the Ravenspear Mk1 shall be replaced with what I described.

Well I do think that, at least as far as the stock planes are concerned, the intended role is quite clearly stated in the description field

Aeris 3A - Training craft

Aeris 4A - Orbit capable

Albatross - low-speed, long-range aircraft, capable of stable sustained flight for hours on end.

Ravenspear Mk1 High speed, high altitude

Mk3 Long range, high altitude, sub-orbital

Mk4 - Very high speed low altitude

Rocket powered VTOL - self explanatory.

I present, The Batman!

iY6Qm0N.jpg

eglWfdD.jpg

At 17 parts it is a lightweighter.

Fast, agile and very forgiving.

GmUAG00.gif

The Batman takes off very easily and literally cannot crash on the runway. It can fly medium distances at medium speeds but also reach high altitudes above 20Km for scenic views. The wide stance allows it to land pretty much anywhere and the featured ladder - operated by action group 1 - is perfectly placed for easy exit and entry when out exploring.

Building has been kept minimalist for the sake of simply showcasing the fundamental principles of center of gravity vs lift and thrust.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqmxswv110hmnx9/The%20Batman.craft

Another minimalist variation of the training craft here, I present the Bumblebee

5fi6L6Gl.jpg

It is a meager 15 parts, takes off under 40m/s, will experience neither an engine strike during takeoff, nor flip out of control during flight with full pitch/yaw input. Dual tailfins prevent the weird yaw results sometimes experienced with a single one, the front brake is disabled to prevent loss of control during landing, the reaction wheel is disabled (using the "stage" action group) to prevent attitude oscillations caused by its use, and the mk1 cockpit provides IVA. In the event of a total loss of control, the abort group deploys a parachute which has been positioned to land you with wheels down without any other input.

tpcptFVl.png

Craft file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoajdpVnpjTWU3QkE/edit?usp=sharing

Update: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/49328-BSC-%28Better-Stock-Crafts%29-Aeris-3a-Building-Phase?p=645086&viewfull=1#post645086

Edit: with regards to the which-Ravenspear-is-the-actual-one-we-are-replacing issue, it is probably simplest to just replace the "Ravenspear Mk 1" with something like "training aircraft" in the thread title.

Edited by ThePsuedoMonkey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.