BSC (Better Stock Crafts) - Aeris 3a - Yet another winner!

Xeldrak

Just tested it again, and yup - without any steering it wheelbarrows onto the right front wheel, the wing clips the ground, then it crashes. I dunno man! No FAR installed!

It's not your fault, your work around for the "can't crew craft with only a control seat" is good, but for a stock craft it's a bit much to have to EVA the kerbal up and over to the command seat.

What is this sorcery. I just tried it and it lifts off perfectly oO OP! Which version of my plane did you take? The broken one or the fixed one?

[table=width: 850, class: outer_border, align: center]

[tr]

[td]SR2-Ranger[/td]

[td]none[/td]

[td]none[/td]

[td]50[/td]

[td]Functional escape system, excess roll authority[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

I actually don't understand what lead angle is :blush:. Also, yeah the roll authority might have been a bit much. Those flaps are there to act as well... flaps. I really hope we there will be a time when we can designate separate control surfaces for different purposes.

Alright, after hours of testing, I present to you my notes:

AmpsterMan 
+good looking
+escape mechanism
+very stable, hard to flip out
-a little heavy handed for my taste
-no action group for the ladder

--------------------
second round:

AmpsterMan: she's rather big and a little heavy handed

Hey there Xeldrak, thank you for the positive review! Yeah I actually thought she might be a bit big, but I was basing her on this real life plane so I needed to make it a bit larger to have it fit. Once again, truly an honor to make it to your top five :D

SR-2 "Ranger" - D8 F8 M8 S8 P7

Thank you for the high notes carazvan! Truly appreciating that all of you have taken the time to fly my craft :D

AmsterMan - Don't know why but cockpit/nacelle just look a bit wrong to me, other than that cool plane.

I actually agree with you on that one. There was no where else to put one however, and so there it went. Thank you for the compliment on looks though. This was my first design where I have tried some aesthetic apeal :)

Whew, those were a lot of entries! I apologize if my reviews are too negative - I started from the position of "I love this craft" and only noted negatives. If your plane crashed on hands-free takeoff I didn't review it further (sorry!).

[size=-1] B. Jet NoSpam NoClip Simple Pretty WBarrow NoHands Handling D.Roll Desc. Total [/size]
SR-2 Ranger 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 7 Too big, noses down on takeoff

I see that you don't fly with SAS on, otherwise it flys straight up XD.

I am sorry if any of you might be disapointed that I won't be able to make a long comment. This has been a pretty hectic week for me and I haven't been able to test fly all of the craft like I was able to with the Two-Stage lander challenge. Therefore I won't be offering a longwinded, well thought out explanation for my choices. Sorry guys, not this time.

My top five favorites were

5: Xeldrak-CR Moloch: Loving the forward swept wings and v-tail. Simple and effective.

4: Karmacoma-The BSC Sprite: I love how compact your plane is; the two engines might be a bit overkill but it still flies nicely.

3: Pseudomonkey-Bumblebee: Probably the most faithful to the original. Too bad I didn't like the original. Still, you are high up because you improved it so props :)

2: Brobel-X-2 Swift: I like what you did with the two Aero tails and the swept wings. I am usually not a fan of part clipping, but am much more forgiving about it when A: it looks good. B: could actually "fit" where it is placed.

1: Antbin-To Aeris Kerbal 3a: Antbin, I was probably your most vocal critic in the last challenge. I posted a small semi-rant about how your craft was not suitable for the challenge, how I thought it was a bit ugly, but yet very functional and creative. That is not so with this craft. This craft looks beautiful in my eyes. I share Xeldrak's sentiments in that it reminds me of the Harrier jet which looks really cool IMO. The down angled main wing, mixed with the small canards, small control surfaces, and low weight make for a nice little plane that is fun to fly with. You have earned my vote dude. I love your plane XD

Edited by AmpsterMan

...perhaps my ship was too far ahead of its time. but I think it is the best. :D

And the looks. Just appreciate.

-snip of droolworthy craft-

Naw man, I think they are great! I just think they suffer from the same thing that Mulbin's Craft suffered from in the previous challenge. They are beautiful craft but not really in the "spirit" of this challenge. Still love them though :D

As an aside, here are my other three craft that I almost posted

gzZORXf.jpg3g5YY8l.jpgTg1JjGi.png

@FallingIntoBlack: If I remember right there were only a few things wrong with your entry:

- the use of the cannard as a tail fin meant that when roll was applied the tail of the craft actually had a slight counter-roll to it that made for transitions to be a little weird.

- the wings needed to be strutted together between the forward wing section and read wing section ( between /| wing and the /| || || wing as under big turns the wings seemed to flex apart)

Besides that a good plane just not the best at maneuvering and stability which I think was the main goal of the Aeris3 and therefore it's replacement

@FallingIntoBlack: If I remember right there were only a few things wrong with your entry:

- the use of the cannard as a tail fin meant that when roll was applied the tail of the craft actually had a slight counter-roll to it that made for transitions to be a little weird.

- the wings needed to be strutted together between the forward wing section and read wing section ( between /| wing and the /| || || wing as under big turns the wings seemed to flex apart)

Besides that a good plane just not the best at maneuvering and stability which I think was the main goal of the Aeris3 and therefore it's replacement

Also, if I can add, it is a very large plane. Not really fitting for what it is replaceing.

It does fit the small trainer jet category better than my "Ravenspear mk4 replacement". :P

Yeah I did my original design with the replacement for the Ravenspear in mind. When the design changed I was like "Eh, I like how it looks anyway, maybe people will agree" :sticktongue:

I personally think the smaller one I made might have been more fitting if I spent more time optimizing it.

God - I wake up and there are three new pages ;)

@searlefm: Well, these are my personal notes. I did realized where the yaw comes from, I just wondered why you would hide the controll-sufaces in such a way. A simple, vertical stabiler would have looked much better (in my opinion) and would have been simpler. Also the ladders were a detail I looked up at every plane, I wanted the pilot to be able to climb out, walk a few meters and get back into the plane.

@FallingIntoBlack: About the size of your plane: While size was not one of the design goals, simplicity was. And your plane is just very big, when it doesn't need to be - so I think it's not exactly a good example. Actually, simplicity was the reason I removed the landing chute from my plane and didn't include a escape mechanism. To say it with the words of a famous aviator: "Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

@Antbin: Well, while I didn't get the vote - thanks for the positive feedback. Yes, I had the feeling, that the Moloch is a bit edgy for a beginner plane but somehow it felt just right for me. Seems like it like the edgy planes, since I noted heavyhanded to so many planes and really enjoyed the beta jet.

No, I fear you got to go into the final six with your original version - but it looks like I'm the only one who recognized it as a negative.

@Giggle: Novaworks Flysafe is Bobnova's plane....

@HueHue: I'll be away for about two weeks, I think you guys can cope with two weeks without challenge. Also - I like to manage these challenges and I wont find somebody to groom it while I'm away within the next 48 hours - wich is all the time I have left.

Also, I allready learned a new word today: Dutch Rolls....sounds like a tasty, dutch dish...

Still haven't been able to decide and won't be able to do any more test flights before the time for voting runs out. I do like the To Aeris Kerbal 3a but the no controllable rudder is a big negative for me. The only Yaw control is with the reaction wheel so pinpoint landings are kind of hard. I did manage to fly everything but for some craft all I got in was a take off and a quick spin around KSC before a landing attempt.

Before I started out testing I was thinking of a few things are good for a trainer considering that most new players probably are not using a joy stick.

1. A dead stick take off should be possible.

2. One engines preferred over two for a trainer.

3. Good yaw control via a proportional rudder for precision landing.

4. Stable flight at cruise altitude.

5. Limited maneuverability without being jerky or twitchy.

After I did some flights I modified that list some.

1. Dead stick takeoff preferred but if the chance of a tail strike is minimal then slight pitch up is ok to get a nice take off.

2. Twin engines ok if a flat spin is fairly easy to recover from. That means you need a good sized rudder. For example the Mayfly recovered very quickly from a flat Spin because of the good rudder.

3. I would accept more maneuverability then I thought because of the combination of fine controls and then SAS off or on. Those combos gives you more options if a plane is too quick to roll or pitch. My plane the Bullfrot for example needs more pitch and slightly more roll control. I should have left the small control surfaces for ailerons.

In short I am still thinking and I am open to blatant lobby attempts.

How much time do I have left to vote?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.