A couple of small suggestions and tweaks.

Hey. This is a compilation of things I've thought while playing the game, and watching others do. They wouldn't be difficult to implement (I think), and would change gameplay a little.

1) The plane landing gear are massless in-flight. Kinda cheaty, isn't it? People use it for eve ascent vehicles, and it doesn't make any sense.

2) The plane landing gear's lights consume no electricity. Why don't they?

3) The structural pylon doesn't fit with the rest of the parts. It's been ignored since .18, and should get a tweak.

It's extremely bendy, it doesn't use the new decoupler "module" in the .cft (AFAIK), and it doesn't leave any "debris" on the parent part after it's decoupled. Kinda weird, isn't it?

4) The new subassembly system is awesome, but kinda unorganized. In the old subassembly saver/loader, and the newer subassembly manager, we had "folders".

It would be cool and logical to have these on the core system.

For example, I'm creating a new space station, and want to save parts of it. I create a new folder called "ss pieces" and save them there. When the construction is done, I can simply delete the folder and the subassembleis saved in it. Also, sub-folders would be nice too.

5) The "Ant" and ion engines have no fuel "bars". I see no particular reason for this, an it's kinda annoying.

6) The "Oscar B" tank doesn't attach radially. Same as 5, is there a reason for this? I've had to do some clever engineering to get it where I want, with no benefit. Especially part count.

7) I'm not saying "Me wantz mor partz, BLERGH!", but the only 0.675m fuel tank is the oscar B.

Stacks made of these:

A- Are bendy.

B- Look ugly.

C- Are FPS killers.

We really need more "small" sized fuel tanks.

(I know I can simply rescale the stock 1.25 tanks, but... well).

8) The 2.5-->1.25 "flat" adapter is backwards on the building menu. It's a matter of two W presses, but shouldn't be like that.

9) The VAB orientation doesn't match the real orientation when launching a vessel. Again, I could simply select the entire rocket and press Q, but it should not happen.

10) The radial air intake is super strong. People even use it as a warhead. :P

I'm sure it's just a typo in the .cfg, but it hasn't been adressed.

11) The "Ant" engine makes a horrible sound. I know this would come with a FX update, but simply replacing it would be enough for the moment.

12) The hatch for the 3-man capsule isn't where it should. It's been like this since 0.16, and I don't see any thoughts on changing it.

13) Again, the 3-man capsule is a relatively old part, but it's missing it's heatshield! The 1-man "mercury-like" capsule has one, so why doesn't this one?

The DeadlyReentry mod has a heatshield that fits it perfectly, and it's description even mocks the manufacturers for forgetting about it. :P

If you have any simple suggestions/tweaks, post them here. Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by astropapi1

To expand on number 4, I'd like to see folder organization in the saved ships as well, not just the subassemblies (in fact if I had to choose I would rather have folders in the saved ships than the subassemblies)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/49375-Nameable-Folders-for-Loading-Menu-of-Spacecraft :)

Yeah. This could be added with a drop menu for part selection. Stuff is getting kinda messy these days.

1) expect it when aerodynamics are fixed (which is likely, much to my disappointment, a long way away).

2) Not sure. More importantly, why haven't people abused that yet? They are pretty bright in large groups.

3) Probably because nobody needs to decouple something underwing. We don't have 0.625m jet parts to no drop tanks for them.

4) I agree with everything said in reference to this for all comments above mine.

2) The landing gear lights consume no electricity because their lights were added before the introduction of electricity as a resource. I expect they simply overlooked it for the present.

3) From memory, the pylon was originally one of C7's parts... It may be that it's simply been overlooked. It feels like there's almost always one or two things that get overlooked when the devs re-camp existing parts or systems xD

4) Agreed. We already need the ability to organise craft into subfolders. Add subassemblies into the mix, and we've just got far too damn many files floating around... as if we haven't already.

5) Possibly an oversight, maybe? It may be that they consume so little fuel that Squad considered it a bit silly to have a fuel bar at all, and think it better to monitor the usage of such small engines directly from the Resources panel.

8) The adapter goes both ways, and I frequently find I am using it more the way it is initially orientated rather than always needing to flip it. However, I suppose that depends entirely on the design principles and habits you have.

10) I haven't actually noticed this... Hm. Curious. I shall be making good use of this until it is fixed.

I would like to see tweaks to the lengths of the stock parts. Why not make the FL-T400 exactly 1.5m instead of 1.502552m?

Generally I envision the following set of "allowed" lengths:

For short parts (<1m): 0.1, 0.2, 0.25, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.75, 0.8

For medium parts multiples of 0.5m: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5

For larger parts only integer meters: 3.0, 4.0, ...

That way one can easily combine different parts to structures of a given length, for example to build space stations.

[Edit for clarification]

With "length" I mean the measure along the axis of cylindrical and conical parts, not the diameter.

Edited by cfds

Well, all adapters go: small on top, big on the bottom.

That one is the exact opposite. :)

Added 12, and 13.

but what if i'm building where the larger needs to be on top? they your "correct" way is now wrong.

however for the sake of everything being the same it should be changed, or the others need to be changed.

• 3 months later...

A search function would be nice in the SPH/VAB and in subassemblies/saved craft. If you are using lots of mods, then It's hard to find the part you want. Also a feature that allows you to search for parts that are, for example, Rockomax only, or with a thrust of 150-300 if you don't know their names. For the subassemblies and saved craft, there should be a part count filter.

I would add the ability to pull subassemblies out and add them radially. You still have to make space shuttle-esque ships entirely in the SPH because it's impossible to transfer planes to the VAB if the don't have an in-line connection point.

Ant engines really have no purpose since they have terrible efficiency and minuscule thrust capabilities. Oh, and they don't get a fairing when you put a decoupler on.

Concerning adapters, it would be really nice if some of the larger ones could be tweakable to hold fuel. I've been messing around with some .cfg files and they look pretty nice as fuel tanks.

EDIT: Also, Jebediah just won't stay dead! Can we please find some way to keep dead kerbals from resurrecting all the time?

Edited by Hashbrown66

I know there's an add-on for this, but I'd like to see larger xenon fuel tanks in the base game. I like to build refueling stations, so I'd like to be able to have a single large tank for xenon instead of a bunch of little tanks mounted radially. It would probably reduce mass to have one tank, too. Besides, I often have to stack several xenon tanks for outer-system probes. I picture tanks of similar size and capacity to the medium and large monopropellant tanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.