Ridiculous Crafts

Jstone39

Does this count? (Click images for full thread with more pictures). 2800 tons to LKO, and 650 to Eve surface.

gEEDbu9h.jpg

LKfsfqLh.jpg

And no, HyperEdit was not used ANYWHERE in getting that monstrosity from Kerbin to Eve (yes, it landed on Eve. LANDED.) And no cheats, either :P

My most ridiculous ones I made sadly have nothing to do with space.. One example is trying to recreate random funfair rides by the looks to see if they could be made in KSP and oddly enough most of them worked and had physics that mimicked the real thing.

This is why I love KSP... If you have the part needed you can create pretty much anything you imagine and physics seems good enough to simulate most more or less realistic to real world.

I have one unusual project that is at least related to this game which is this rover:

screenshot435.png

screenshot440.png

It looks like a perfectly normal but ugly rover except that most parts used in this rover are radial decouplers.

Some smart people like Jasonlii and some forum poster here found out that they could be used to open cargobay doors or be used as suspensions since these decouplers are for some reason very flexible.

So what i decided to do was use it both for suspension as well as holding the frame together which had some really interesting side effects.

First the decouplers make really good suspension which actually makes the cars handly alot better/realistically and the wheels become nearly indestructable.

But the fun discovery was when trying to crash the thing straight into a wall driving at 25m/s or so~ and it turns out that the entire frame just flexes so that the entire rover in most cases survives with no damage at all or just a few collapsed panels or one bust wheel or so.

I even tried strapping a rocket underneath it and then crashed it into the ground at 50m/s and yet it was still driveable after repairing a bust wheel.

Even having a probe directly in front and crashing it into a wall will not even damage the probe.

Was really fun to drive this rover up the mountain and then let it roll down :)

Edited by boxman
fixed links...

I'd ask what the hell that is, but from the fact you are Whackjob, I'll refrain. :0.0:

Looks way smaller in this picture.

KRs4qan.png

Transplanetary, self-refueling lander tower. Lifted off from Kerbin, then went to the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Mun again, and then landed home on Kerbin.

#EDIT: Ah! Bonus. I found the video of its triumphant return and subsequent consumption of the flag bearer by the kraken.

Edited by Whackjob

You know, I was thinking, it's kind of a pain to have to bring a rover along with your lander all the time.

lander_rover.jpg

So I figured, why not just make the lander a rover? 5 Kerbals, 2 nuclear engines, 4 wheels, no sanity. And yes, it can in fact take off from the surface on its own; it just needs a slight incline so it can get spaceborne (as was foretold in space).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.