What is the earliest news story you remember?

Drunkrobot

It's hard for me to think back much farther than the confirmation of the first term of Barack Obama.

As for 9/11, my mother told me the story, as I was too young to remember. She was listening to the radio, and they said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. Wondering what idiot would crash into a building, she turned on the news on her television.

A few minutes later, the second plane hit.

She looked outside, and wondered why God had not chosen more appropriate weather for the end of the world...

The first news item I remember was the assassination attempt on Reagan by John Hinckley in 1981. I was in kindergarten and someone said that President Ronald Reagan had been shot. I remember wondering who or what a President was and was he any relation to Ronald McDonald.

2003 Iraq Invasion

I remember me being terrified, and the news in sweden all reporting that americans are now dropping bombs on people.

My mom had to calm me down and assure me that they were not going to do it to us too.

After that, probably Göran Persson cussing at the cameraman, that was funny.

First news I remember was Obama winning the election. I was only 3-4 when 9-11 happened so I don't remember anything about that. But i remember an american kid in my school saying how important it was that Obama won the election because of his skin colour and how it was a new age and stuff.

Diana's death in 1997, I was 5 at the time.

Ooh, I do actually vaguely remember some newspaper pictures of the wreck. I don't really remember any of the news stories around it since I never really cared. Tons of people die in car crashes every day, I don't pay much attention just because one of them happens to be royalty. And I'm not overly interested in conspiracy theories either.

The first recollection I have of seeing something on the news is a vague memory of seeing gas lines on TV during the oil embargo in 1973. I remember my dad being very much in favor of "going over there and taking the oil for ourselves" and I thought that sounded like a good idea because I was five and didn't know any better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.